CMA Awards: Youth invasion / Reba McIntire belting out "If I Were a Boy"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Swoooooon
    Love the song, loved the original, love Reba's performance here. The redhead is sounding amazing ... even into her mid-fifties, Reba doesn't seem to have lost the range from her heydey.

More respect for Reba for her smack-down earlier in the week of the CMA Entertainer of the Year noms shennigans, where lightweight, teen/download friendly acts were nominated over established (and higher grossing) acts like Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts. :respec:

Unfortunately, sorry Reba, though that award "did" go to a guy who's been putting out quality stuff for a few years - Brad Paisley - the rest of the awards went to those catering Gen Y. (And then the show had to suffer its way through braless-yet-again Gweneth Paltrow singing.) :shuffle:

CMA winners: Paisley EotY ... etc

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I didn't hear about the shenanigans, but they sound pretty funny, considering that not that long ago Carrie and Rascal Flatts were both considered lightweights. :) For the record, I love Reba, Carrie, and Rascal Flatts (though I much prefer Carrie's upbeat songs; the sentimental ones all sound maudlin to me).

Country is always changing; you can deal with it or you can fret about it. Personally, I enjoy the old and the new and pretty much everything in between. The funny thing is that people who complain about the lightweights now will be saying in thirty years, "Whatever happened to that nice [insert teen-friendly act here]? Now that was classic country!" Some people have very short memories.

But I don't think anyone considers Miranda Lambert a lightweight at all. She's always getting praised for her authentic sound. It's been her year, and the purists seem to be thrilled about that right along with the non-purists.

As for Gwyneth, her arms and legs are like matchsticks!! I don't mean to be anti-thin or whatever the term is, but I don't see how that can possibly be healthy.

3. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I thought Gweneth sounded good. She was obviously very nervous, so good for her for making it through it :)

And Reba was crying for Brad Paisley, so I'm guessing she was happy about that. Loretta Lynn didn't seem to mind that Miranda won :)

Loretta looked great.

I like the feeling of the CMAs and like Brad was talking about, there's more of a family feel rather than an egotistical feel that other awards seem to have.

Also, Carrie Underwood's purple dress was gorgeous, when she sang.

4. Wyliefan

I've noticed that too. People in general seem a bit more relaxed at that one.

5. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Seriously. :lol: Carrie Underwood won American Idol. She's etched out a decent career, but I didn't realize she was considered a stronger, more established act. :rofl: She's not Faith Hill or Shania.

I'm sorry I missed the CMAs. I grew up inundated with country and hated it for a long time, except for Garth Brooks, Reba :)cheer:) and a secret appreciation for Shania Twain. I'm finding the older I get, the more I want to turn on CMT instead of the local rock station. :eek:

6. Wyliefan

I love Shania and can't stand Faith. Go figure. :lol: The only way I can explain it is that Shania, even though she can be a little weird, always comes across as if she's having a blast. Faith's music, to me, feels overprocessed and overpackaged. (I heard her sing the national anthem recently, and it was the most overblown, pompous arrangement ever. All I could think was "Why am I not surprised?") Also, I just plain don't like a lot of her songs. "Mississippi Girl" in particular makes me want to vomit. I never could stand the "Hey folks, I'm just a simple unpretentious girl even though I'm mindblowingly rich and famous!" song genre. (See also J-Lo.)

7. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

:rofl: Agreed on everything. I mentioned her because if I've known who she was for awhile, she must be quite 'established' in country music. ;)

Though now I know who Miranda Lambert is, and a few other more recent acts. A couple years ago, a friend of mine decided I was going to love country music, and so she made me a CD of fun songs that she knew I'd connect with. Little Big Town, Gretchen Wilson, etc. etc., I'm kinda dismayed I :blah: on country for so long.

I also know who Rascal Flatts are, because they are DREADFUL. Tom Cochrane's Life Is A Highway isn't the greatest song to begin with (even if I love it :eek:), but they took all the good out of it in their cover.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  8. Wyliefan

Well, welcome to the fold! Even if you don't like RF. :) They are very much a love-them-or-hate-them kind of act. I like them, but I understand how their sound isn't for everyone.

The more I read about what Reba said, the more surprised I am that she chose those particular acts. I mean, Lady Antebellum? They're not really "teen-oriented" and they've had a great year -- I don't see why they shouldn't be in the category. And Miranda has been around as long as or longer than Taylor and works just as hard -- and, I have to say (even though I like Taylor), Miranda has the better voice. Maybe Reba was having a major brain fart that day, because I can't explain it any other way. Still love her singing, though.

I do agree with her on the Zac Brown Band -- they drive me nuts. I am :fragile: that they won Best New Artist over Chris Young, who can sing circles around them.

By the way, I think I did a similar rant about Faith Hill before, so I apologize to those who've seen it two or three times now. :eek: Somehow she always puts me in a ranting mood!

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It seems the only people really upset about Miranda Lambert winning some of the big awards are the people who don't pay attention to country music. If you don't know her name stop and think, maybe it is because you don't pay attention to country music, not because she simply came out of nowhere and sang one nice diddy. I thought it was super awesome that she won Female Vocalist of the Year while her fiance, Blake Shelton, won Male Vocalist of the Year.

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Wasn't Miranda Lambert on on Nashville Star?

Based on the 1 article I read about Reba's issue with the Entertainer of the Year noms, she thought they needed more experience headlining tours, being more established. I don't think she made a big deal specifically about age.

I watched bits and pieces of the last half of the CMA's and thought it was a fun show. The one thing I didn't particularly enjoy was Gwyneth's song. She sounded okay but I didn't care for the song itself. OTOH, I really liked Kelly Clarkson and thought she sounded great!!! :cheer2:

11. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yes, she was on the very first one. She didn't win. Buddy Jewell won and he had a few number one hits and disapeared.

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Wow, I forgot about Buddy Jewell.

13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah that's the interesting thing about so many contests....those that win, probably need it more than the others. If the others are good, they'll make it regardless of the show.

14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I just saw something that said Reba was the third most searched name on Google today (or yesterday?). I wondered what was going on, it must have been this performance. Of course, the first two names I didn't recognize at all.

15. Ares

Ares Guest

I was happy that Blake and Miranda won.

Best performance for me was Loretta, which kind of surprised me because I don't really like old school country. I felt like cheering with everyone else when she walked out on stage.

Second favorite was Jennifer Nettles. She's off her rocker and I love it.

I'm not a fan of Reba. I'll just leave it at that.

Taylor Swift got a standing O, presumably, for finally hitting a few correct notes during a live performance. Good for her. :lol:

16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I watched and thought the music was awful, not so much for the singing or the artists because no one could hear them over the loud instrumentals. I am not a country music fan and knew some of the artists because of the crossover effect. Still if I hadn't known the lyrics to those songs, there would have been no way to have heard them.

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

What on earth was she wearing during her performance? :yikes:

18. BigB08822

The music was AWFUL! Again, not the actual songs, vocals, etc but because the instruments were so loud. I could not understand most of the vocals over all the loud background music. I hoped it was only the first number and that it would be worked out but it never was.

Nettles was wearing some really fugly white leggings, haha. I love her voice and country twang, though. She seems like a lot of fun.

19. Wyliefan

And she put on a tutu at the very end, didn't she? :lol: I got home and put the TV on just in time to see that part. Didn't get a close look, but it looked like some sort of tutu.

20. BigB08822

The tutu was part of the performance. She started out as a ballerina being wound up, like in a music box. Then she stepped from behind the tutu and performed the song. At the end she stepped back behind the tutu so that it looked like she was wearing a tutu. It worked when you saw the entire performance. Not sure if I "got" the ballerina part considering the song, but ok!

21. Wyliefan

At least it sounds like it made more sense than that nutty music video they did for the song. I hate it when music videos have zero relation to the lyrics.

22. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Been a country fan for many years, and a Lambert fan since "Kerosene". Glad to see Miranda finally getting award recognition, her CD was amazing.

I thought Reba sucked. It was horrid. Song is too young for her and if that's her idea of staying relevant, she's way off base. Reminds me of Dolly Parton in the 90's trying to be cutesy.

Since when is an artist like Vince Gill the backup musician for Gwyneth "all the little people love me" Paltrow? :wall: This is a sign of the end of the world.

Taylor was pretty good, I may go download the new CD now. :shuffle: Maybe she needs to sit down at a piano more?

23. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Yeah, I didn't think the song suited her either. Reba did a duet with someone - can't remember who - a few years ago on the CMA, a similar type of cheating song, and NAILED that one IMO. That one was definitely a performance I was glad to see. But Beyonce's voice is just so perfect for If I Were a Boy, I just kept wishing I was listening to her instead.

24. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I so wish I could rep you!!! I love Tom's version, but RF needed to have something done to them for that wretched cover of it they did. Ick ick ick!!!

As Gwyneth...She's just been diagnosised w/Osteopenia, so the comments about how being so stick thin can't be healthy are right on target!! I actually read a doctor somewhere saying that while they admired her for being Vegan, she's also the Poster Child for taking it too far the wrong way.