"Cloud Atlas" -- The Film Vs. The Book

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by all_empty, Oct 26, 2012.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I haven't read the book, but the film was overly ambitious and confusing.

I read synopses on the novel and want to re-watch the film, but I don't think I can sit through 3 hours again.

If anyone has read the book and sees the movie, please share your thoughts.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I have read (and enjoyed) the book, but wasn't holding out high hopes for the movie. Then I heard a review this morning, from a reviewer who I tend to agree with about 90% of the time, who basically said don't bother: the "we are all connected" theme is too in-your-face and cheezy, and Tom Hanks is too Tom Hanksy for his character(s). Plus in the book the timeline is more-or-less chronological, but in the movie they mixed it all up -- sometimes that can work, but not this time.

So I now definitely won't be investing the time & money to see it in the theatres, but will probably take a look when it comes out on DVD.

3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

My daughter is intrigued by the soundtrack. My son has read the book and plans on seeing the movie. Visually it looks stunning and he thinks it would be lost on a tv.

4. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I just saw the movie Sunday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't even glance at my watch, which is sure proof I enjoyed it! Have requested the book from the library, but I'm number 30 on the hold list. :(

5. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I haven't read the book, I just downloaded it to my Kindle. Saw the movie today and loved it, I too never noticed the time. In fact I was surprised when it ended, it did not feel like I had been sitting in the theater for almost 3 hours. I didn't find it confusing at all, I thought it rather brilliantly wove the stories across time. The performances were wonderful, but I have to say for me, Jim Broadbent was the standout performance.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  6. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

We're you as surprised as I when they showed all the characters at the end? I knew Tom Hanks, and one or two others, but some of the characters really surprised me. Another friend wants to see it so I may go again.

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

Some of them surprised me, and yes I do want to see it again. This was the second time my husband saw it and he said there were so many things you see on the second screening that you might miss the first time. My husband is notoriously critical of movies and he can't stop talking about this one.