clokcwise jumpers and spinners / artistry

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by The Accordion, Dec 5, 2010.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

When I think of the skaters I know of who jump and spin clockwise -or "backwards" it seems that they more often than not have above average artistry.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yes, I've noticed that, too--a lot of the "artistic" skaters are CW: Weir, Czisny, Shawn Sawyer. But there are plenty of "artistic" skaters who are CCW: Buttle, Abbott, Matt Savoie.

3. Skateushka

Skateushka Active Member

Good point.

We can add the follwoing to that list:

Toller Cranston and Emanuel Sandhu

4. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Well, considering that there are far more CCW skaters than CW on the elite level, maybe a higher percentage of CW skaters have above average artistry?

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Yes! That is what I meant. Thank you!
    Oh and I meant to spell clockwise correctly in the title too. Oops.

6. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

Don't CW jumpers also tend to be left-handed? There is some correlation between left-handedness and creativity, mathematical and musical ability, etc.

7. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

It seems that the correlation is quite week. I am CW and right-handed.

8. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I don't think most CW jumpers are left-handed. But I do think there is a correlation between being left-handed and being more creative/artistic. I believe that left-handed people also have shorter life spans.

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:eek:

10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

My great uncle lived to be 95 and he was left-handed. Despair not, fellow southpaws!

11. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think that clockwise jumps and spins give a skater an unusual look on the ice, which can make them more noticed, although I don't know about being more artistic.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Hughes and Kostner are both gawky skaters to me (although I do enjoy their musicality).

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm a CW skater but I can't get the hang of CW jumps because they always look backwards to me. :/ No clue what the disconnect is there.

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What about me? I jump CW but spin CCW. I'm a troubled soul!! lol

15. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

You obviously don't know me. I "spin" clockwise and "jump" counterclockwise and my artistry is in the negative numbers.

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm a CW spinner, and thus jump CW too (skate director said she didn't care which side, but told me I had to pick one). I blame this on why I can't do a loop- I am NOT left side dominant, and I just don't have the muscle to get into the air.

Really? Except in pairs where they have to mirror, I have never noticed a difference at all. It's just easier for me to call jumps CW, I get confused the other way.

Personally, I haven't noticed a high correlation to artistry, though there certainly are a few key examples that may make it seem that way.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, I do the same. Weird to rotate differently in spins and jumps...But I won't say anything about my artistry.

Anyway, I don't think there is any link between hand and artistry ! Ashley Wagner skates CW, as well as Tanja Sczeczwenko (sp ?) !

18. Kati

Kati Active Member

Susanna Pöykiö skated CW, too.

19. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

:encore: Did someone call my name?

I used to spin CW and jump CCW. I never had an issue with it. Then one day a coach told me I needed to pick a side. I said pfft, I don't care if I'm a little cockeyed. She said no, you don't understand. Jumping is just spinning in the air and you're going to hit a wall one day and you're just going to have to pick a side at that point and then learn it all. over. again. She spoke from experience so I started jumping CW and wouldn't ya know? I had an easier time with it so now I spin and jump CW.

It's funny when I watch CCW skaters and "feel" what they're doing because my body thinks they're going the wrong way.