clockwise jumpers

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sputnik, May 11, 2011.

1. sputnik

sputnik New Member

All,

Which ladies do we have jumping clockwise these days aside from Alissa?

:)

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner and Viktoria Helgesson are the only ones I can think of. :)

Oh, there is also Kristine Musademba, but I don't know if she's still competing. Sarah Hughes was also a clockwise jumper.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. sigrid

sigrid New Member

Sarah Hecken is also clockwise jumper right?

4. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

If we consider pairs, there is Paige Lawrence. She and Rudi Swiegers were lucky to find each other as a match, both being clockwise jumpers.

It's interesting (and at times scary) to watch them on warmup with other teams, who are usually all counterclockwise skaters.

5. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Were clockwise jumpers ever considered "bewitched"? :cold:

Alissa and Caro were 1-2 at the GPF.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Yrétha Silete is another.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sarah Hughes is already a thing of the past (not one of the current ladies):lol:

However, she and Carolina were the ones that came to my mind first.

8. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

Denise Biellmann is :) (yes, IS, as she still skates !)

9. madm

madm Active Member

Tiffany Vise

10. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Yasmin Siraj!

11. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

by any chance, are clockwise jumpers left handed? ? we normally do everything backwards with respect to right handers.

12. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I don't even know how strong the correlation is (though I've certainly been interested in that question!) but based on limited anecdotal evidence it doesn't seem to be that strong. I've heard it theorized that jumping direction is more related to eye dominance. I'm left-handed but jump and spin counterclockwise.

13. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

I always thought it was ther right handers that did everything backward. ;)

14. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Interesting that you are left handed but spin counterclockwise. Since that entails using the right leg for take off and landing one would assume that the right side of the body is stronger or dominant. That' s why the I thought direction of jumps might be related to being left or right handed. the dominant side of the body dictates which leg is "more comfortable" for take off and landing. I am not a skater and thus have no experience of jump direction but I am left handed and play tennis with the left hand, golf with the left hand etc. Probably if I were capable, I would also take off to jump skating from the left leg.

15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

There's no correlation between "handedness" and spin/jump direction. I have many southpaw students who spin/jump CCW and a few righties who go CW. In fact, my twin DDs are a lefty that spins CCW and a righty who spins CW.

I've never heard "eye dominance" as a theory. Thanks for the tip.

Back on topic, someone keeps a list of CW skaters!

http://www242.pair.com/amossman/SKATE/cw.html

16. kukkura

kukkura Member

17. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I don't skate but my natural instinct is for clockwise jumping (landing on left foot). I'm right handed.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I am right side dominant but spin cw. I think that's why i can't get a /oop, its too much on the left. I think the cw tendancy is due to dance training where turning (spinning) goes to the right most often.

19. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Yes, exactly, I did a survey/study for a class in school last year about that.

My friend is almost 12, she's taken dance since she was 3, she started skating when she was 8. 5 years of dance before she started skating. She jumps/spins clockwise

Another friend is 13, she's taken dance since she was 4, she started skating when she was almost 5. She didn't even have a full year of dance before she started skating, she spins counter-clockwise because she didn't know which way to turn, and the coach just taught her that way. She can, however, do all her single jumps except axel while jumping clockwise.

So using people I know from skating, I figured out that it's mostly due to how long a person has done dance before they start skating that determines which direction they jump/spin. It can also just be random sometimes. For example, my sister has never taken a dance class in her life, but she spins/jumps clockwise. Also, my mom spins/jumps counter-clockwise, and she took 15 years of dance- but by the time she started skating, she hadn't taken dance in 20 years.

Johnny Weir jumps clockwise... but he doesn't really count, he's not competing anymore. That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned. :)

20. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Interesting, I was taught that since I'm left-handed I should skate clockwise and I learned jumps that way.
    But then, I find much more easy to spin counterclockwise and so I always felt a mess, doing partly clockwise and partly counter! Now, since my left knee has some problems, I'm trying to re-learn all the jumps counterclockwise :wall:

21. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I've heard a lo of people saying that it's related to the hand dominance, but IMO it's a total different thing because the hand dominance is due to which cerebral emisphere you use for writing (right for left handed and left for right handed, but it can be reversed sometimes), while I think the jumping/spinning direction is due to your muscolar strength. Everyone has a dominant (stronger) side of the body, so if your strongest side is the right one you should jump/spin counterclockwise.
    For example, when I was taught high jump at school our teacher didn't tell us to jump from the right if we were right handed etc, but she told us to try to jump with both legs to feel which one was stronger. I am right handed but I used to jump from the left.

22. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I don't skate but clockwise spinning motion feels much more natural for me. I have no idea why, it just does.

23. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

At dance weekends, we usually try the European Waltz in the CW direction, talk about kicking a CCW skater's butt!

24. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I saw Stéphane Lambiel warm-up backstage last weekend at "Opera on Ice" and he did off-ice doube axels in both directions. Someone later told me he can do 2axels and 3salchows clockwise on the ice too. His clockwise 2axels looked so easy, it was as if he had always jumped that way!

25. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Two more CW ladies - Karen Magnussen and Alexandra Najarro :)

Yes. Both the fella I do a bit of pair skating with and I are right handed and CW, but stronger on the left side. This is not so weird apparently: http://www.supinationwatsu.com/articles/HandDominance.pdf
    :lol: That's how we poor CW skaters feel all the time in dance. I am dreading the European Waltz. Here in Canada we have the option to substitute a "creative dance" for one dance in the test level that includes the European. My dance test partner has suggested I consider this. :rofl:

26. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I agree, but apparently my body still haven't decided which is the stronger part! :D
    with high jump I did it both ways, and without any big differences (and so in many other sports). I guess my left part is stronger (so clockwise) but I'm sort of more coordinated with counterclockwise spins. :shuffle:

27. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

It also depends on whether your dominant upper limb is the same as your dominant lower limb.

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

When I first started skating, I found the clockwise spinning more natural, but later it was pretty clear that it was not the correct direction for me, because I could not jump in that direction; so now it is the opposite. I always attributed that to my being right handed, but may be that's not true of everyone.

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am right handed but have always naturally jumped clockwise. Ready for a twist, I prefer to spin counter clockwise. Does that make me bipolar in the skating world? :yikes: