Clip of Alissa Czisny in a Super Bowl ad

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by azskatefan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

I missed it during the actual broadcast but a clip of Alissa is in a Chrysler commercial that was played during the Super Bowl. You can watch it at http://ow.ly/3RobG. What a great thing for her! Glad to see her get at least a little love even if they didn't say her name or anything like that.

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I just saw that. Glad they included her!

3. geod2

geod2 New Member

Alissa and Eminem in the same ad....now I've seen it all.
    But really, that was a brilliant ad....just a shame that only FS fans(mostly) know who Alissa is, why she is in that ad, and why it's so cool.
    Good for her.
    :)

-

4. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I thought it was random that they included a clip of Alissa. Most people wouldn't get it because she's not a household name.

5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Loved that Alissa was in it - recognized her right away.

I wasn't really paying attention to the game but happened to be tuning in when that ad came on, and I just stood there, frozen, watching. It resonates to the core for anyone who's from Michigan or who's lived there.

alilou, Rottie, Cheylana and 3 others like this.
  6. missysays

missysays Active Member

Word!

7. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

What an amazing ad. Really rebrands Detroit in 30 seconds.

And Alissa's beautiful, of course. So glad she's in it!

8. Nan

Nan Just me

My home town. Brilliant.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Loved that Alyssa is in a national commercial, but I am a bit confused as to why they used her in this ad for Detroit. I realize she trains in a Detroit suburb, but she is not from here. Why not use Davis and White, who were born and raised in Michigan? Not at all a slight on Alyssa, but as a Michigander myself, I was just wondering.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Does anyone recognize the outdoor rink where Alissa is spinning?

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Don't Davis and White represent a club out of Canton? That's probably why they used Alissa- she is announced at competitions as representing Detroit Figure Skating Club (despite it being located in a suburb). Her club gives name recognition to the city. The commercial was about Detroit, not about Michigan.

Alissa has done good things for the city. The only reason I've ever been to Detroit was to take a seminar from her. Many other people there traveled soley because of her. a few years in a row. It's a very very minor impact, but my "tourist" dollars went to Detroit because of Alissa. I'm glad she got some recognition here.

(Of course, since it looks like Meryl and Charlie were born/raised in a Detroit suburbs, that would have given a good connection to use them.)

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Cool I missed that one during the Super Bowl.

13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I assume it's Campus Martius. I haven't been to the rink so I can't be absolutely sure, but it makes sense.

14. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

So did I.

15. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

Yes, that's the rink.

16. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Yep. DSC skaters perform at the Campus Martius rink every winter.

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Alissa is from the Detroit area, she lived in Northwest Ohio near the Michigan border before moving to the Detroit area permanently a few years ago. She's trained in Michigan for as long as I can remember, so she really is a native of the Detroit general area.

18. query5

query5 New Member

congrats to alissa for being in ad.
    this is 2nd time a figure skater was in one, maybe third.
    i know michelle was featured with a nba basketball player to promote the super bowl, was kimmie in one with armour /with nascar. i am not sure.

by the way loved the ad

19. Helenista

Helenista New Member

Great ad! As an expatriate Detroiter I'm glad to see some Motown love for a change.

20. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I would have preferred Kid Rock over Eminem...his latest music video was filmed in the UP (yes I know it's about Detroit and NOT Michigan in general)

21. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Yup, from Ann Arbor and did my UG At UM...definitely made me homesick!!:(

22. geod2

geod2 New Member

http://www.fastcompany.com/1724789/...er-eminem-break-an-awkward-silence-in-detroit

"But the biggest choice Wieden + Kennedy and Chrysler made was their choice of spokesmusician. The guy who emerged from that gleaming Chrysler 200 was Eminem, not Kid Rock. Kid Rock is the singer who has been most associated with the revival of the city. His recent 40th birthday concert at Ford Field was a rockfest celebrating the city; he’s sponsored one charitable event after another for Detroit; and he has at least two businesses (“Made in Detroit” clothing and “Badass” Beer) that are local and proud of it.

Eminem’s support of the city has been clear but overshadowed by Kid Rock’s. Not last night. The ad (which had been set up perfectly by an earlier Lipton Brisk spot in which an animated Eminem mocked the singer’s well-known aversion to publicity, love of profanity, and need for “hot chicks”) drew power from the fact that Em doesn’t do this kind of thing.
    There’s a moment early on when viewers could see Eminem at the wheel of the car, creating a level of disbelief that it’s actually him."

23. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

In fact, that's coming up next weekend, which may have been the inspiration for using a clip of Detroit FSC's best skater skating there. . .
    http://www.winterblast.com/kids-zone/

24. skatemommy

^geo, thanks for posting this! Guess we are being slapped upside the head that the UP isn't 8 mile!

25. geod2

geod2 New Member

26. skatemommy

^ I'd rather see her skate to "Born Free" :cool: Serious what did Kid Rock drive in his last video? I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff...

27. geod2

geod2 New Member

Nor do I.

That writer's tongue-in-cheek suggestion for Alissa's next gala to be skated to a song by Eminem highlights the multiple ironies in this ad.
    Alissa reportedly dislikes hip hop/rap music..
    ...and she drives a Honda.
    :)

-

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

ot----nice picture of Rachael on the same page as the vid

29. skatemommy

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Cute quote from Alissa about the making of the ad from a longer story about all the people involved in the ad:
    "• Alissa Czisny, the 23-year-old 2009 and 2011 U.S. ladies champion from the Detroit Skating Club.

"The whole time out there I was spinning," said Czisny, who appears in the ad whirling in circles at Campus Martius Park in downtown Detroit. "I was a little dizzy at the end.""

Having been involved in commercials, I can just imagine. You do things over, and over, and over again.

Good story: http://www.freep.com/article/201102...ysler-Super-Bowl-ad?odyssey=mod|lateststories