Cliff Robertson dies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jot the Dot Dot, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Great actor and I admire his bravery in dealing with the Begelman matter. RIP

3. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

RIP :(

I found this an odd coincidence with today's anniversary:

(from wikipedia)

-Bridget

4. Civic

Civic New Member

I hadn't realized he played the title role in the film, "Charley". RIP.

5. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Cliff Robertson was wonderful in Charly. May he RIP.

6. Nan

Nan Just me

:( RIP

The first movie I saw him in was Gidget. Loved him ever since.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

8. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

What a very talented and underrated actor who played heroes, villians and all ranges in-between with equal skill and impact - from "Gidget", as the Big Kahuna :swoon:, to JFK, to an evil politician in "The Best Man", to "Charly", of course, and so on.

What I have read in comments from both famous coworkers and ordinary people who happened to know or work with him is how truly kind, friendly and down-to-earth he was with each of them, without any show of ego.

His truth-telling in the Begelman affair cost him professionally and no doubt personally, but is completely in character with the ethical human being others have talked about him being.

ETA - I read the same story that John 3 17 quotes - how weird indeed. :eek:

Rest in peace, Mr. Robertson. Your legacy will be your art and your life, both very well done.

9. Louise

Louise Banned Member

The thing is, Robertson was in a lose/lose situation. The IRS knocks on his door saying he did not report thousands of dollars that was paid to him by a movie company, I think Universal. Robertson knew he didn't get paid for work by Universal, and the investigation led to the fraud by Begelman, who wrote several checks for tens of thousands and then went to the bank and cashed them himself, fraudulently signing them. He already told the IRS he didn't receive that money and now he finds out one of the biggest players in Hollywood was the culprit. So he can lie to the IRS that he did in fact receive the money, which was already discovered to be fraudulent, or just go with the investigation. I don't understand why he was so blackballed professionally and socially, he was just doing what he HAD to do, courtesy of the IRS. You can't just claim fraud, you have to press charges against the person who defrauded you. Otherwise, you are still guilty of defrauding the IRS. A tough spot.
    He was also married to Dina Merrill at the time, someone with extreme wealth, being daughter of Marjorie Meriwether Post and heir to that fortune. It was said that Merrill divorced him due to the social blackballing. Very sad. I didn't realize he was still alive, and am glad he made it to 88. RIP.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

11. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

He was a wonderful actor but more importantly, he was, according to his daughter and friends, a wonderful person.

RIP, Cliff

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Sad to hear about this. Condolences to his Friends and Family. May he Rest In Peace. :(

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

He also had a sort-of connection to figure skating - he did the English narration for the documentary Queen of the Ice about Sonja Henie.