"Cliff Notes" requested for Yuna/Brian

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by mikemba, Sep 7, 2010.

1. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

At the risk of starting a new thread on this...

A few weeks ago, I read what was the original thread about Yuna Kim leaving Brian Orser. At that time I read the whole thread but there were only a few dozen posts, and no one yet knew any significant confirmed details.

I returned a few days ago and saw that there seemed to be some war of words/hurt feelings/cultural misunderstandings between the two of them. I wanted to find out what happened, but there are so many threads on this, and some are so lengthy, that I simply don't know where to find out the main points of what happened.

Can someone give me (and anyone else who has been out of the skating loop for the last few weeks) a summary of the main things that happened? What I'm gathering is that this very nice partnership ended somewhat bitterly, but other than that I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks in advance. :)
    Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

1) Yuna & mom to Brian: :kickass:

2) Brian: :wuzrobbed

3) Yuna: :drama:

4) Brian: :barrel

5) Yuna's agent: :violin:

6) Yuna's fans re: Brian and :)huh:) Japan: :lynch:

7) All sides: :argue:

8) FSUers who genuinely like both Yuna and Brian (and also - horrors! - both Korea and Japan, and all their skaters) and have no vested interest in either side: :yawn:
  3. jlai

jlai Title-less

:rofl: :rofl:
  4. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

OMG :rofl: Who needs words at FSU!
  5. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Hilarious, thank you for making me laugh.
  6. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

Loved your post!

But although I am someone in #8 - who likes Brian, Yuna, and many Japanese skaters including Mao - I would like at least a few more details.

I guess my main question is why they split. It seems quite surprising, since their partnership was so successful, and seemed to be a relationship of mutual caring.
  7. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol: You nailed it

It seems uncertain how seriously Yuna wants to/is able to train for the rest of 2010 and beyond, which would make Brian's role as her coach uncertain as well... The decision about what to do in terms of training after winning Olympic gold must always be a confusing one. Maybe it just escalated into something more awful than it was supposed to be. Who knows. It's unfortunate that they seem to be on such bad terms.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:rofl: :respec:

The $64,000 question -- and that seems to be Brian's question as well, although Yuna and her mother/agency say that Brian knows very well why he and Tracy Wilson were released. A good portion of the 2000+ posts in those two threads seemed to be speculation on "WHY?" At least those that weren't :argue: and/or :revenge: seemed to be. :slinkaway
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

My boring reply: Or you can do a search on "Yuna Kim Brian Orser" in Google News and skim through some of the 515 articles that were published online...
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. ponta1

ponta1 New Member

Ha ha ha!!! Best post of this entire site!! :D
  11. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

UMBS is amazing. :cheer2:
  12. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol: :respec:
  13. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

14. amaro

amaro New Member

Nice. Except I thought Brian was the biggest drama queen of all.

"It hurts! Do you hear what I say? IT HURTS!" :rollin:
  15. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman split up, and no reason was given, except Tom saying 'she knows why'.
  16. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

OK mikemba, here goes. I've read all 6248 million posts on this and the sanest reason I've heard is that in May Brian resigned with IMG (his agent of many years). Sometime in the past Kim's camp had an acrimonious split with IMG Korea. In the meantime Yuna's mum Ms Park created a new agency, ATS (All That Skate) to represent Yuna and create shows for her. Min-Jung Kwak has also joined ATS and been removed from Mr Orser's care.

As best I can gather Brian was left out of the loop re Yuna during June/July (most of which time she was in Korea) and heard from the internet, etc that she wouldn't compete in the GP series, and that Shae Lynn would choreo her SP. He emailed them repeatedly but received no replies.

When Yuna returned to the Cricket club she trained but barely spoke to Brian. Finally on Aug 2 a meeting with Ms Park, Brian, Tracy Wilson and a translator confirmed that Brian was let go, but........ no announcement was forthcoming from Yuna's camp and things were getting v awkward at the club so on approx Aug 19 Brian spoke to Yuna who said she didn't know what was going on and that she was confused about the situation. Things were getting really strained at the club, and at the 2 Aug meeting it had been made clear to him by Ms Park that he was no longer Yuna's coach, and Brian was becoming concerned about how it was affecting all the other skaters at the club, so on Aug 23 he issued a statement through IMG that he was no longer coaching Yuna, he didn't understand the reasons why, and he wished her well. The next day ATS denied he was let go and that he's the one who resigned. After that all hell broke loose with Brian essentially saying that Yuna was controlled by her mother, Yuna calling Brian a liar (by tweet) and then putting a long post on her fan site saying it was her decision. People saying the fact that Brian was approached by the Mao camp was a factor. Brian saying he was approached by them, Mao camp flatly denying it etc etc etc :argue: On and on it went.

Back to the beginning of my post - I think either he was asked to have ATS represent him and he refused because he has a loyalty to IMG, or with the formation of ATS it may have been an unspoken assumption that he would have them represent him and ATS (ie Ms Park) took it as a personal affront that he chose to continue with IMG.

Added to this is a rumour that Yuna wants to retire (no surprise) and will no longer need a full-time coach.

Completely cannot comprehend why Team ATS reacted the way they did to Brian's simple and polite press release that he would no longer be coaching Yuna (except perhaps for the bit where he said he didn't know the reasons and had been given no explanation). Of course, since it's Yuna, I guess they had to say something since the press would be screaming for answers.

If this sounds pro-Brian it's because it is. I think he was shocked and hurt and did not handle the whole situation well, but I think Team ATS handled it really badly, with a lack of communication and respect and grace. :p
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
    sk8sue, UMBS Go Blue, gkelly and 3 others like this.
  17. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

UMBS whole post

and

:rofl: crying with laughter
    UMBS you are awesome :encore:
  18. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

What I posted before somewhere.
    UMBS Go Blue's is better than me! ;)
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think the word "resigned" has opposite meanings in these two sentences. Would "re-signed" convey the correct meaning in the first one?
  20. alilou

Oh! Of course! How confusing. Thanks for pointing that out. Yes - Brian re-signed with IMG, and ATS claimed he was the one who resigned (ie quit) his position as Yuna's coach.
  21. maggylyn

maggylyn New Member

I must spread some reputation around before giving any more to UMBS Go Blue.

You rock. :encore:
  22. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

:lol: Very clever and true, UMBS Go Blue! :yawn: indeed! :)
  23. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

UMBS Go Blue, holy crap you had me cracking up. Great stuff :rofl:
  24. bookworm

bookworm New Member

EPIC. :rofl:
  25. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

Thanks for the info, especiallly alilou for the great chronology and runnershigh for the links. (and alilou, I understood what you meant by 'resigned' in your initial post).

Ahh, what a shame that things ended this way.
  26. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

HAHAH OMG best post ever! THat was great!
  27. alilou

You're welcome. And yes it is a shame. I didn't mention that I think the reason ATS initially denied they'd fired Brian was because he was at that time still a huge star and hero in Korea and apparently there was quite a backlash against Yuna for firing him. From what I can gather popular opinion in Korea was "against" Yuna, and "pro" Brian until Brian accidentally (?) released Yuna's LP music choice and then it completely swung the other way and now everyone in Korea hates Brian :drama: or something like that.

I think it's a great pity, and I think Yuna will miss the stability Brian gave her, and I think a lot of the problem has been caused by cultural differences and poor communication.