Cliches People Say...That Drive You Crazy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jun 5, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I was just reading in the local newspaper where someone was quoted as saying, "If I can get through this...then so can anybody else!" (As if everyone else's circumstances are equal to yours, so they should be able to achieve everything you have...)

One that is so trite and naïve that always gets me is, "everything happens for a reason". Really? Explain the to me Holocaust then. How about the Tsunami in Thailand? Child slavery? Sex trafficking? I feel so embarrassed for people when they say this one. It's like they should be wearing a t-shirt that reads, "SIMPLETON...AND PROUD OF IT!" :lol:

2. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

My bridge partner constantly says "it is what it is". :scream: I finally said something to her about it but she says she likes the expression so I don't think she's going to quit.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

"You can do anything you put your mind to." This is total bullshit. We shouldn't be teaching our children that the can be or do absolutely ANYTHING. We are not all smart enough to be rocket scientists, nor tall enough to be pro basketball players, or steady handed enough to be surgeons. It just isn't life. We should teach our children to experiment and find their strengths and then make decisions based on what they feel is the right thing for them to be/do. I'm getting off this soapbox now.

I also hate when people say "literally" and they don't mean it, at all. "OMG, I literally died!" Who are you, Jesus?

P.S. What's wrong with "it is what is is?" I say that quite often and find it to be incredibly true. :shuffle:

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I hate this one too. I have a friend who constantly says it; and in my mind, it would be fine if you were basically saying "oh well, I can't change things, so I'll just accept them" by using that phrase. But she uses it in a way that is so contradictory to what the intent of it means to me that it puts me a ledge.

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Well, that's not a phrase I've heard before. I can understand it in context but what does it actually mean?

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

"well, there you go" - a favorite phrase my mom uses. I don't know what she means by it.

"the past is the past and it won't change" - does that mean the past and you will continue your present course because you can opt out of the responsibilities or that the past is behind you and you will work to change the future. for most people, it seems to be the continue your present course

"it is what it is" - like fingernails on a chalkboard, sends chills down my spine and not in a good way

"like" as in "like, it is like, you know like" - my husband has no idea how many likes he uses in a day. :wall:

going postal

7. BigB08822

Well I hate to think that I have been irritating people by saying "it is what it is " but I guess...it is what it is? :lol:

BlueRidge and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

'You know', drives me up the wall. I don't like other crutch phrases/words like 'like', 'basically' but they don't drive me crazy.

I have no problem with 'It is what it is' as long as it is not said in a condescending manner.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't personally like the phrase, but I can totally see how believing that "it's God's will" can help one cope with sadness or tragedy in one's life. And when one say "everything happens for a reason", the person is usually referring to events in his own life and not as a blanket statement to refer to events like the Holocaust, for example.

10. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

It probably doesn't qualify as a cliche, but the phrase "at this/that point in time" has annoyed me ever since the Watergate hearings, when it was uttered in every other sentence.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I'd be okay if somebody said something like, "some things have a meaning which we can't understand until later". But when they use words like everything...well, that makes it a blanket statement. :)

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

All of the above. And a really old one that just hit me after hearing it on two different shows lately "I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy" about something bad that happened.........

Well, why not??????

13. BigB08822

Oh, I agree about "you know." I have spent a long time trying to wean my husband off of that. He would use it so often. It began to really aggravate me to the point where I would stop him and ask him if he thought I was stupid and incapable of following his story. He looked at me all puzzled and I had to explain that he stops every sentence or two to ask "you know?" and it makes me feel like he thinks I'm an idiot! He has gotten a lot better.

14. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I don't mind "it is what it is" as long as it's not used dismissively. Sometimes things are just the way they are and can't be changed - seems an appropriate phrase then.

15. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

"At the end of the day..."

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

To me, 'It is what it is' indicates acceptance of an unpleasant situation that we are unable to change. I am OK with it, as long as it's not used excessively.

17. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

That and also "like" used to mean "said". This is how nearly everyone relates a conversation now: "So I was like 'what?' and she was like 'I know, right?'"....

And let's add "I know, right?" to the list.

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I generally hear - it is what it is - as an excuse. And one that people accept because "it is what it is" and I can't be responsible for it since it is. YMMV

19. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

:lol: I agree. I overheard one of my students say yesterday, "I was literally as high as a kite." I wanted to stop her and say, "No, you were figuratively as high as a kite," but we were off campus and I didn't want to seem like I was spying in on a conversation about what she does on the weekend.

20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

"Ice is slippery."

"You can't win the competition after the short program. But you can certainly lose it after the short program!"

"His/her biggest strength is the lack of weakness."

21. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

When I read the title of this thread, this was the first thing that popped in my mind. Funny that it was the first response. :lol: I have a coworker that says it almost every hour, it seems.

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

My grandmother (who passed away 2 years ago) used to end sentences with "and that part will be good". It used to drive my sister and me crazy, but now we laugh fondly about it.

My students drive me crazy saying "like". I try to break them of it, but it's :wall: to listen to all day.

23. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Or excusing a skater's lackluster skate with, "When (skater) is on, he's really on."

24. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

'It is what it is' came to my mind immediately as well. Yes, I get what it means. But for the most part I find it pointless and dumb, and said at times when there is no need for it, and it adds nothing to the situations.

And I also hate 'everything happens for a reason', and likewise, 'you always get what you need'. Such cliches merely signify people's desire to impose simple frameworks on life to make sense of it in a way that makes them feel better, and gives them a sense of control. The truth is things don't always happen for a reason and you don't always get what you need. You get what you get. And that's that, and it is what it is.:p

Most cliches have limited utility and some directly contradict each other.

I do like 'ice is slippery' though. :) And another skating cliche I find useful is 'thinking on your feet'.

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

"No matter where you go...there you are."

:lol:

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Because whatever happened was so tough/cruel/emotionally challenging or something among those lines so that, even though they are one's worst enemy, one is human enough to see that that shouldn't be what any other human has to endure? :)

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I actually like that phrase. And "wherever you go, there you are" too. :shuffle:

The one that I dislike is: "I am good to go." Not sure why.

With "everything happens for a reason"--I don't dislike it, just don't believe it to be true.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Not a cliche but an improper use. It drives me crazy when people say, "I could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less". YOU MAKE NO SENSE!

29. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I like it too. I use it as a kind of verbal shrug. But not very often.

God never gives us more than we can handle... right. Tell that to all the people who commit suicide because they couldn't handle what they were given.

Another one I hate is "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" Talk about a nonsense phrase.

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:respec: :respec: