Classic Examples: TV show stars upstaged by supporting characters

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Seerek, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Was it Sandy Duncan?

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

What about the show What's Happening? IIRC, Roger's younger sister, Dee, was quite the little wisecracking scene-stealer.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Yes and that did lead to a quitting from Rolle

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but in some episodes of Family Ties you can really see the fury on Meredeth Baxter's face when Michael J. Fox got all of the good lines and plot developments.

5. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

And girls ;)

PRlady and (deleted member) like this.
  6. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Jason Bateman was basically kicked off Silver Spoons because Ricky was jealous that Jason was becoming more popular with his character Derek. I was a Derek fan. He then had his own tv show, one of my favorites ever, called It's Your Move (I still love the Dregs of Humanity two-parter).

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Sally Field totally stole Bros&Sis from Calista Flockhart

8. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Sally did win a Best Lead Actress Emmy for B&S 3 years ago, plus I think she's first in the credits - I think she's the lead of the series.

Yeah, very likely...

yes, that's right, but interestingly, Rolle did come back for the 6th and final season.

Yeah, people do mix up Cloris Leachman and Sandy Duncan often because I believe they entered sitcoms around the same time - Cloris Leachman replacing Charlotte Rae in "The Facts of Life" and Sandy Duncan replacing Valerie Harper on "The Hogan Family"

9. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Robert Vaughn..you watched it in reruns? I watched it in "first runs"..

10. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

And the show is all the worse for it. Mind you who the hell would want to be a part of that family. I certainly wouldn't. I shouldn't even watch the show since its so inherently stupid yet I keep watching it.

The big example for me is Charmed where Alyssa Milano's character became more important to the show than Shannon Moore. The same happened with Beverly Hills 90210 where Brenda and Brandon were overshadowed by Kelly and Luke Perry's character whose name I've forgotten.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

60s? Try 76 (born 1933).:lol:

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:eek: Then I'd say he's looking way beyond "pretty good" if he's only 4 years short of 4 score! ;)

13. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Loved (still do!) Jason Bateman and especially It's Your Move. The Dregs of Humanity :lol::lol:

How about The Big Bang Theory now? This season it has been all about Sheldon and Penny as foils. These two are getting all the funny plots, where I think the character of Leonard was supposed to be one of the main characters.

*Edited to say that I should have read the Wikipedia entry before I posted this! I wasn't expecting to see my example on its list.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I thought that Sheldon was in the spotlight from the start -- at least his character was the one who made me tune in to see the program on more than one occasion. Sheldon and his Meemaw and his obsession with revenge on Wil Wheaton are often a :lol: antidote for a stressful day. Sheldon attempting to teach Penny all about physics, beginning in ancient Greece was :rofl:.

15. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Farrah Fawcett for Charlie's Angels. Well, she wasn't a supporting character, but she upstaged her equals. It was a comedy at times, too, especially when you watch now :lol:

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I thought that show got stolen more by Rerun....

17. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I agree with Barney (absolutely) but I think that Sheldon and Leonard are co-leads on BBT - Jim Parsons (Sheldon) was nominated in the lead actor category at the Emmys last year, meaning he's in a leading role.

Definitely agree with Alexander Skarsgard as Eric on True Blood - especially after season 1. He was in 4 episodes of season 1 and was already a favourite. I wouldn't say he's upstaged Anna Paquin's Sookie, but I'd definitely say Eric has surpassed Bill, Sam and Jason to be the fan favourite/breakthrough male on the show. However, it's kind of debatable because many fans of the show are fans of the books it's based off of, and know what the character of Eric is like in the books and things that happen and that could be really helping with the love for Eric on the show (since they aren't quite making him as likeable as in the books...) Plus, there's no debating that Alex is the media/paparazzi favourite from the show...

Also, must go with Jane Lynch's Sue Sylvester on Glee (who I think must have the same stylist as Eric Northman, with their penchant for tracksuits).

I'm going to add Jason Dohring as Logan Echolls in Veronica Mars - he was a small character at first (and lower in the opening credits) who came to be the main male love interest and moved up in the credits and completely took over - IIRC, it wasn't intended that Logan become the main guy, but it just started to work out that way as the show progressed because of the love. He never overpassed Kristen Bell's Veronica, but he passed the other males on the show.

Niles on The Nanny often overshadowed the other characters with his sarcastic wit.

18. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:eek: 76?!?! Duckie is looking damn good for being 76 :respec: