Clarence Clemons (E Street Band) has passed away (UPDATE 6/18)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Jun 14, 2011.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Not the Big Man!!! Love Bruce and EStreet....it feels like Danny Federici just passed. I hope he recovers but at his age this will be tough going. God bless him.

3. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

What Coco said, but from what little I've heard tonight and seen online, it doesn't sound very good at all. :(

I also wish I'd had the chance to see him perform live. We had a Rock Band as the band at my HS and when it came to those of us playing the Sax, whether it was the chosen few who made the Band or those of us who just loved to play the Sax in Music Class, it was the Big Man our Teacher held as the best of the best. He was right too. He really was the best of the best when it came to the Sax.

I really and truly hope and pray he can recover so he enjoy life as fully as possible. Fingers crossed and prayers going up for him and his two families, on stage and off, tonight. :(

5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:( Get well...

6. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I just had to tell a 20-something that the song playing at the pub the other night was The Boss's "Born to Run" with CC wailing away...

Chirren these days just don't know the classics...

He was also a stitch in the video of Aretha's "Freeway of Love", where he also got his major league groove on with his sax.

I hope Clarence gets well. :(

7. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I had the good fortune to see Clarence play on a number of occaisions, particulary on the 1975 tour after Born to Run hit big ( I saved my ticket stub!). A fine sax man, The Big Man was also a good comic foil for Bruce. Bruce used to do a bit in concert called "Sparks on E Street" where he told the story of Clarence joining the band...and then they'd roar into 10th Ave. Freeze Out. Great Stuff. I only hope he finds a way to recover.

8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I always came away exhausted from the Springsteen/EStreet concerts I saw and they were the ones doing the work. But even as they aged they still rocked on stage for four hours and pulled the crowd right along with them. Does anyone do that now? And I can't imagine 10th Avenue Freeze Out without Clarence.... Even if Bruce adds the Miami horns on the road.

9. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:( :eek: We were fortunate to see him with the Boss. Our thoughts and prayers are certainly with him and his families.

10. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Saw two YouTube clips, one of him on Letterman, another where he dueted with Jackson Browne. Man that guy could play, and sing! Get well Sir.

11. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

They don't do four-hour shows anymore, unfortunately.

Last time I saw them, a year or so ago, Clarence had a lot of difficulty walking/moving around. To accommodate him, the band didn't leave the stage pre-encore, they just turned the lights down for a minute or two and then turned them back up.

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I did not know that about Clarence: I did see a clip of the band having a hard time not laughing in London because Bruce was out near the crowd but had to go up several stairs to get back to the microphone and could not get there without a rest and said he needed an elevator. He looks fit but I can only imagine the wear and tear his body has taken over the years. But then look at the Stones...

13. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Aw, terrible for the big guy. Seems he's had several major health worries over the past decade.

Get well, Clarence! :)

14. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Hope Clarence makes a full recovery!

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Get better, Clarence.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Clarence Clemons has passed away. I don't have a reputable article yet but it is circulating around internet and I doubt it is a false alarm. As soon as I find something more definitive I will edit this post.

ETA: Thanks genevieve

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

18. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

19. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Damn, saw E Street live in 1980. Nothing compares. RIP Big Guy :saint:

20. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

The end of an era. The music in Heaven just got even more amazing. RIP Sir and you will be missed. :(

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:(

He made a great song even better. I'm listening to "Freeway Of Love" right now. You can hear a Clarence solo twenty seconds in. :respec:

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:fragile: I was hoping against hope that he'd pull through. How sad.

23. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

RIP, good man. Besides the enormous presence in years of Springsteen songs, I'll always remember CC in the "You're a Friend of Mine" video with Jackson Browne, and many other videos in the 80s. And as Bruce's bud in this classic record cover

Gonna be sweet n' sad to hear the "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" Bruce/Clarence banter, this Christmas season.

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Springsteen has to be busted up.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

26. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

:(

27. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I can't believe it. I was so sure he would recover. When you listen to their music, and see them in concert so many times, you think they will live forever.

RIP, Big Man. :(

{{{{Bruce and the rest of the E Street band members}}}}

28. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking. RIP.:(

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Big Man, Big Life, Big Loss...RIP

30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Will never listen to 10th Avenue Freeze Out without thinking of the big man who joined the band. RIP Clarence.