Circular Step Sequences for Ladies?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by zigzig, Mar 5, 2012.

1. zigzig

zigzig Active Member

Hi all,
    I don't follow the level rules too closely and was wondering if the requirements for level 3 and 4 calls have put circular step sequences for ladies into hibernation. Does anyone have recent examples of top ladies performing one?
    Thank you!

2. cx3

cx3 New Member

I think Czisny's step sequences this year are both circular....

Also, Mirai's Pirates of the Caribbean SP had one.

3. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Were circular steps ever really that popular to begin with? Straight lines have always been more common IME. I will say that doing turns in both directions, as is required for levels, is harder when you're going in a circle than if you're going in a straight line.

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Julia Lipnitskaya does one in her FS this season.

5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Since men do two step sequences in their long programs (and used to do two in the short), it was much more common to see them do a circular sequence as one of the two. Now that serpentine is practically nonexistent or pretty much the same thing as "straight line," they basically all do one sequence end to end and one circular.

Ladies only have to do one step sequence because they had to do spirals. So they usually only chose circular if that's what fit the program best -- in both judging systems.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

7. icellist

icellist Member

From Dick Button's commentary, he always said that the circular step sequence was always hardest compared to the straight line and serpentine step sequence. Most skaters probably get lost in the multiple twizzles that they try to squeeze into their step sequences in order to get levels for COP. Doing twizzles in a circular formation must be incredibly dizzy!

As previously stated, one of my favorite step sequences was Mirai's Pirates SP. She also started this season with a lovely circular step sequence in her Danzarin SP. She had it in Glaciers Falls but changed it to straight line in subsequent competitions. I wish she hadn't though. It was lovely to begin with.

With that said, straight line sequences are "easier" to choreograph. Pose at the beginning, start the steps, and end with a combination spin or another pose i.e. Yuna Kim James Bond SP or Alena Leonova's Pirate's SP.

Just wondering, has there ever been a level 4 circular step sequence? From my recollection, they've all been straight line sequences.

Maybe the levels should be rewritten for circular step sequences so we limit the Morozovesque choreography we see nowadays... Circular step seqeunces were always lovely though...

8. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Mao Asada's World Team Trophy 2009 SP "Clair de Lune". CIST Level 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRM4Qj2u_jo

Then can we say this is the only CIST by ladies so far that received Level 4? I didn't know that.

However, the most memorable about this SP was not the steps. The first 3A-2T in SP by a woman ( in ISU competitions) was attempted and succeeded in the SP. Look at the nervous look on her face before she went for it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  9. shine

shine Well-Known Member

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I love that step sequence of Kostner's. I could not picture that program without it and the music deserved to be given one.

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

No, it's not. Carolina Kostner got level 4 for her circular steps in the SP at 2010 Worlds, and possibly elsewhere (I'm too lazy to check ;)). I can't back it up, but I suspect Kostner has received more level 4s for her step sequences than any other lady.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  12. just wondering

just wondering Member

It's my understanding that the shape identification of footwork may be dropped in the rule updates. In other words, no "straight line," "circular" or "serpentine" calls, just footwork levels. This would be great because, with all the COP demands, the shape is rarely the true shape it's called. e.g., straight line almost always has serpentine lines and tracks back at the end.
    Plus imagine all the shapes that could be created!
    So we may, in fact, get to see better shaped footwork.