Cinquanta Wants to Eliminate Short Programs

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reese, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

No way. Putin's country is doing very well in FS. No way he is going to destroy it. It has to be someone from outside of FS, or Speedy is just evil and cannot be contained by anyone.

2. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

Unfortunately $peedy has enough pull among the ISU member feds that whoever replaces him will be whoever he chooses. IIRC Didier Gailhauget is the next in line - the head of the Frenchfederation and also a sleazeball. The only difference between him and $peedy is that Didier was a figure skater.
    So for any meaningful change to happen in the ISU, both $peedy and his minions have to be turfed. Getting rid of $peedy alone won't do it.

3. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

There's always http://www.change.org which Yuna fans used to protest the Sochi judging... A petition against these changes might not get as many signatures as the Yuna one, but it's something!

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Didn't Didier Gailhauget and the Japan skating Fed have some kind of disagreement in the past?

5. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

6. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Yes! It seems that everything unseemly and underhanded ends up finding success in figure skating politics.

O-

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I'm all for it as long as the ISU also requires:

1. A compulsory figures segment for singles, worth sixty percent of the total score.
    2. That ladies wear hats and ankle-length skirts.
    3. That competitions are held on outdoor rinks.
    4. Skaters must either bring their own bands or skate without music.

Otherwise, :mitchell:

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

$peedy has to be the biggest moron on the planet. Really this almost makes Didier look good in comparsion. And if you're looking for a conspiracy folks there it is.

9. Vash01

It's a start. Anything is better than doing nothing and feeling helpless and frustrated

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

In order to oust Speedy, someone would have to run against him. I thought he had run unopposed the last couple of times, so I guess the other federations have no problem with him.

11. Vash01

Who can run against him? I am surprised that he does not have many haters, considering what he has done to FS.

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I like your ideas Tangoer. As for $peedy and his latest WTF clueless plans, what everyone here has been saying and then some! It is just so obvious that CoP has caused difficulties to figure skating in many ways and it needs fixin, but instead $peedy is attempting to make a bigger mess with a hammer. Oh yes, just get rid of the SP. Might as well rid ourselves of the skaters too like they do in the cruel Qual cut-offs. While he's at his latest dictatorial powermonger maniacal rampage, why not knock off some of the judges too! Since they're so ANONYMOUS, no one will miss them. :duh:

Okay $peedy, what with the actual basics of figure skating gone with few skaters practicing figures (which helps give them the proper edge technique for jumping, btw), yeah just go ahead and get rid of the SP too. What skating is all about and skating history is about might as well be sent down the drain (SP was created for a reason, btw). It will be just like throwing the baby out with the bath water such as when you threw out the 6.0 brand. It ought to tell TPTB in figure skating something when Madison Avenue has a recent ad selling a product with figure skating's 6.0 as the timeless well-known reference.

Yeah, I know $peedy, you don't have a clue what we're talking about. Truthfully, will someone or just a lot of people get together and put $peedy out of his misery, or rather get him to stop making everyone who cares about figure skating so miserable and the sport so sad and disappointing to watch.

Exactly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Just no words. :lynch: Evil jerk.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  14. amaro

amaro Active Member

Chinquanta specifically mentioned Korea being awarded with ice dance and pair slots as the host country for 2018, and people in Korea speculate that he is giving away the candy to mute the ongoing protest by the Korean Olympic Committee on the Sochi judging.

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, Olympic dressage (IIRC three "programs" including the kur/musical freestyle) and oh, three-day eventing would like a word...

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree, I think they should keep both the short and free skate but seperate the compeititons and have a winner for both segments. I always thought it was kind of stupid to have them skate once and a day or two later have a winner. With the team competition and two other ways to win, it would make for a better competition. Besides other sports do have more than one way to get a medal.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  17. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

and i will never doubt the ksu/koc will take that candy..

and why not just give the host country also an automatic ladies slot.. :EVILLE:

18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It is best not to ague against change from a reactionary perspective. "It used to be so good in the old days, etc" because things always have to change unfortunately. My question is: will it be for the better or worse? The worst thing suggested is that judges stay anonymous! Everyone knows certain federations' judges consistently cheat! How can protecting their identities be of concern? It probably has kept federations from bullying some judges, but the selection of the judges hasn't changed enough. That should be the top priority on the IOC and ISU's agenda.

If they get rid of the SP (which would be terrible), they ought to consider eliminating the worthless team event. It looked mildly fun for the competitors, but there was no suspense and not enough viewer or fan interest to inspire federations to invest in all the disciplines.

19. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Since there wasn't any mention on Hersh's article, I'm kinda curious how S Korean media got the information about the automatic slot for host country. Is Chihee Rhee included in the members who received the mail from Chinquanta?

20. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

To simplify scoring make it "pass" or "fail."
    That could eliminate judges as the audience could determine that-thumbs up/thumbs down.
    Or maybe I've watched "gladiator" too many times lol

21. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I just have to know: what exactly would happen if all the major federations finally grew a pair and told Speedy that no, none of these things were going to be happening, the door is that way, and don't let it hit you on the way out? I mean, seriously, what is it exactly about this man that people kowtow to his every whim and he can railroad through the most ridiculous crap simply because no one will challenge him? Why won't anyone challenge him?!?

22. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

is rhee really that special?? :lol:

23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think the USFSA needs to take a stand and form some coalitions for a change.

24. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Hersch showed the original letter as a supplemental to his article.

25. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

^Ah, thank you. I didn't notice that. Where can I read the letter? Thanks.

26. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

The automatic slot for host country bothers me more than ditching the short. Talk about unsportslike. Buying your way in instead of earning it. And since it is being taken for granted that there is inflation marks for home country skaters, I don't blame people who laugh at skating as a sport.

27. drfj

drfj Active Member

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Correct me, but I thought every Olympic event included an invite for one host country entrant. I thought that was an IOC policy. It seems a good one. Many locals appreciate seeing countrymen compete even when they don't understand the sport. It gives them an incentive to learn and enjoy. So how is this a favor?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  29. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Don't be politik anymore! :mitchell: Fans are sick and tired of :judge::skandal:smokin:.

30. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1y9vwj/should_olympic_host_nations_get_automatic/

I couldn't find that it is an across the board rule - it might be. But many sports do have rules that allow the host country an auto spot. This article mentions s Korea will get an auto spot in hockey.