Cinquanta Wants to Eliminate Short Programs

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reese, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's extremely frustrating to see speed skating sponging off figure skating. :/

And ISU most likely is struggling, given the audience figures are nowhere near as high as they have been in the past.

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I don't want them to eliminate the short, for many of the reasons you're already discussing. But I would like it if they gave three medals: short program, long program, and all-around. Talk about making the short matter! And it'd be like gymnastics, but shorter in format, as the AA wouldn't be competed separately.

But it actually sounds like it's not that Cinquanta doesn't like the short program. It does sound more like they're looking for ways to cut, to save money.

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I want to see the ISU eliminate figure skating. Let another body buy the rights to it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  4. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

If the ISU is broke, then Cinquanta should admit that and explain that this is why he's asking for such changes. Instead of demanding changes without providing any logical rationale. It's about being professional, responsible, accountable.

5. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

^^^
    THIS! Gawd I hate this man. He's no true figure skating fan and he's brought the sport to almost ruin with his harebrained notions.

6. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:lol:
    FS has always had to juggle chainsaws in order to evolve as the world lurches forward. There are no quick and easy solutions, which is exactly why $peedy as head of the ISU drives me crazy. It's all seemingly willy nilly quick fixes that always end of causing more problems then they solve. Nothing ever seems thoughtful or proactive, but reactionary.

Anywho, one big issue they grapple with is fs has to decide if it's a sport or tv entertainment, a tight rope it's been walking since the 1960s. Supposedly, the SP was invented in order to appease the tv-viewing, fs-rule-ignorant public. Now it's being chacked for the very same reason it was invented?

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:eek:
    A friend posted on FB, "If ever there was a time to resurrect the World Skating Federation. . ."

8. matti

matti Active Member

I love Italy and Italians, but we have had bad luck with Italian sport executives:

Sonia Bianchetti was instrumental in getting rid of compulsory figures. In many ways the sport died for me.

Bruno Grandi was responsible for removing compulsories from artistic gymnastics. The sport has lost all the beauty and virtuosity.

Oh, this opened up old wounds...:(

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Everyone should have to do a CD :mitchell:

Were the English-speaking countries to pull out, I wonder what would happen to Olympic TV rights bids from English-speaking countries?

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

How badly I wish that World Skate Federation who were looking over to take over the sport had succeeded. Sadly they never even got off the ground. I hope the next ISU president can help reverse much of the damage that Cinquanta has caused.

I agree with everyone though figure skating and speed skating should be completely seperate. They are absolutely nothing alike. I dont even agree with long track and short track speed skating sharing a governing body with each other, let alone figure skating which is another planet apart entirely.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Not a true fan is an understatement. I think he actually does not like figure skating at all.

12. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I agree that figure skating and speed skating should be seperate but I don't think speed skating can survive without figure skating.

13. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Do the member federations get financial reports of the ISU? I went digging around for them but as expected, there is nothing publicly available. I just wondered if money is the real issue, if RSFS, USFSA, etc. would know the real skinny.

14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

That is speed skating's problem, not figure skating's, and figure skating shouldnt suffer for it. Figure skating and speed skating both deserve someone better than Cinquanta running it anyway. He has less to f up in speed skating than figure skating as the sports winners are decided by a clock, but given his cluelessness with marketing, advertising, creating a sensible season competition format, I am not surprised to hear speed skating is struggling even worse with him in charge.

15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

HERE HERE!! :respec:

16. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

How about eliminating figure skating altogether, you ****in' piece of genius?!
    Geez...

17. BusyMom

BusyMom New Member

If the ISU is broke, it is only they spent a fortune in speed skating. For sport which has minimum fan base, he poured so much money into new competitions and development programs all around the world. ISU even gave away large incentive funds to develop the speed skating to member federations. Now they try to cash back the money by cutting down the budgets for figure skating competition.

18. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

So what's next? If fans are opposed to this proposal, how can we make our views known? Should we write to our federations, write to the ISU, start a proposal, or all of the above??

19. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

When is this man supposed to retire?

20. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

2016 and he wants to get this done by 2016..

21. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Ugh, is there a way for us to oust him before them? :mad: Maybe we can start a petition! ;)

22. FSUSF

FSUSF New Member

PHUCK YOU, CINQUANTA!

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Cinquanta attempted to ruin the reputation/standing of many of those who were part of the organization, or supported it.
    It's one of the many reasons why I can't stand him.

24. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

This :(

GBR was awarded JGP in Sheffield once Sally Stapleford was gone from NISA.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Lynn Rutherford tweeted that Cinquanta is holding a press conference in a few hours.

26. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Next, he'll want to eliminate the LP, and there won't be anything left ... and he'll hope no one notices ... just like he hopes they don't notice all of his moronic comments.

O-

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Who/What has given him so much power that he can destroy the sport single handedly? He must have the support of very powerful people.

I wish he would retire before he further damages FS.

28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Putin?

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Let's put Dick Button in charge, so that he can pick the six competitors and call it a "World Championships." Then the five strongest Feds can choose their teams for World Team Trophy, and everyone else can be "Team World."

30. FSUSF

FSUSF New Member

For figure skating's sake, it might be better if he does what he said.

1. $peedy destroys FS.
    2. More people rebel against $peedy.
    3. US, Canada, European FS unions go against $peedy.
    4. This issue becomes serious internationally
    5. $peedy steps down or is impeached.
    6. Hopefully a better person will become the head of ISU
    7. Clean up $peedy's legacies and restore FS
    8. Everyone is happy