Cinquanta Wants to Eliminate Short Programs

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reese, Mar 26, 2014.

1. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

It seems like we are witnessing the end of the sport.

2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I hold you personally responsible.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. usethis2

usethis2 New Member

As has been pointed out many times, the system has less to do with fraud than fraudsters and their enablers.

4. amaro

amaro Active Member

Chiquanta, stop beating around the fxxking bush and fix the anonymous judging.

5. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Any FSUer in Tokyo! Please :mitchell: $peedy in the face.
    WTF!! He already messed up this sport and finally try to stop its breath. :EVILLE:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Next he'll eliminate music and choreography and require everyone to perform their jumps in speed skate inspired national uniforms.

"In a sport with jumps surely there must be jumpsuits", he'd say.

Grimey Bastard. :mad:

7. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

I have no idea if you are being serious or not, but that is indeed the reason this "letter" was "leaked".

The week of world champs, no less.

8. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea! And of course, there will eventually be only one judge--from Russia, who gives each competitor a score from 1 to 100.

Then in the final iteration, the skaters won't be required to skate at all. They'll just take a "skating theory" test, and won't even have to be physically present to do so. They'll just take the test over the Internet, with the results available for a $100 fee.

Real exciting stuff, folks! ;)

9. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

The ISU does not want to fix the anonymous judging. They are happy with the system as is, because it's easier for them to manipulate the results.

10. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I'm actually all for this. Pairs LP's always seems 30 seconds or so too long to me.

I also agree that the SP has become a bit redundant, since all the same elements are essentially required in the LP too, but I would rather see a significant restructuring of the SP and LP than scrapping the SP.

I also really like the idea of holding the junior and senior worlds together and think it would be a great benefit to the junior skaters.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

For further insight into the mind of Speedy, check out his columns in ISU newsletters (here's the most recent one). It's like he's writing a parody of himself.

As for his suggestions, of course other sports are based on more than one segment, anonymous judging sucks, and short programs are not a waste of time. Free programs are a waste of time, because they are no longer free. Change it back and make it more free, problem solved.

Combining junior and senior worlds might be nice for the skaters but a huge headache for organizers, and regardless I fail to see why that should be a goal. Most sports don't do that, and since it is so clearly Speedy's goal to be like other sports, that should be a paramount consideration. :rolleyes:

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Agreed. I don't know how much power the individual feds have, but if they work together to get rid of this moron who has been destroying FS for years, perhaps it could be done. Aren't the feds that elect the ISU president?

13. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

He should be eliminated. And then sent to American idol and eliminated for a second time because the shit deserves it.

14. love skating

love skating Clueless American

He's gone cuckoo... his speed skating proposals are crazy too and you'd think he would at least make sense in his own sport!

15. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Does he have senile dementia?

16. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I so agree with this.

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I don't think I could say it any better. :lol:

18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

No, no, no. Yes the President of the ISU, Ottavio Cinquanta, wants to make the sport more manageable, but there is no popular future for a sport like figure skating when it eliminates artistry, reduces the competition to a single night of hurried jumping, and tries to manufacture some artificial team event.

ETA: I like the idea of them wearing uniforms in the national colors, complete with hoods to improve their jumps and speed. Cinquanta would love that.

19. RunnersHigh

What about same music, same choreography, same costume and same elements. :yikes:

20. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

This news is so depressing. Speedy has got to go. And he can take his anonymous judging with him.

21. floskate

floskate Vacant

It's time that the skaters and the skating community as a whole- the ones who made this sport what it is and once was - stand up en masse to their federations and this idiot and just say NO! ENOUGH!! FECK OFF!!! He is certifiable :scream:

22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The English speaking countries could form a skating union with their own rules and standards. The Europeans and Asians can join if they choose, but we know it's the end of the road for the ISU being of use to the sport.

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

This is the risk the ISU took by allowing him to stay passed the mandatory retirement ...

24. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Is the ISU broke? I ask this because the only possible rationale for submitting proposals like this is to cut costs. If the ISU has run out of money, then that alone is a testament to Cinquanta's complete and utter failure as President. Even if the ISU has run out of money, this is not the answer as it would completely destroy the sport. The solution is:-

1. Remove Cinquanta
    2. Bring back the 6.0 system
    3. Separate figure skating from speed skating by setting up a new governing body for figure skating
    4. Appointing somebody to run the sport who knows how to market it properly

If it is the case that the ISU is on the verge of financial collapse, then Cinquanta should just do the honourable thing and go. He has done enough damage already

25. RunnersHigh

Let ISU members *ANONYMOUSLY* vote the solutions seperately. :cheer:

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Under the old 6.0 system, there was no anonymous judging. Hence, by bringing the 6.0 system back, that would get rid of that problem

27. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

I hate 6.0. CoP is better.

I also like SPs (apart from OD) much better than the LPs.

28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It would take so much away from the competition aspect of the sport and make is far less exciting and interesting.

IMO it would pretty much ruin FS.

Why doesn't he just eliminate both figure skating and speed skating from the world of sport, since he seems to hate them so much? Take his final revenge on the boredom of having to go to all those competitions (hence the nose picking) and give all those medals, time and time again.

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

What part of "the crooked judges" did you miss?

30. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

What the actual hell!? Is he TRYING to make people stop watching the sport?