Cinquanta Wants to Eliminate Short Programs

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reese, Mar 26, 2014.

1. reese

reese Well-Known Member

2. fan

fan Active Member

WTF is wrong with this man?
  3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

We should get rid of different distances in speedskating. All athletes are probably the best at long distances, so no need to let them also gain points (or in their case medals) from shorter ones. Although it sounds like he wants to kill some of speedskating too.

And quite honestly, among all the crazy talk. This might be the craziest.

OMG! It is the junior age category that causes so much misunderstanding, not the senior one! (At least in the US, where most int. juniors are domestic seniors. Other countries may not have this problem.)
  4. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

5. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

If Speedy wants it, he'll get it, I am sorry to say. :(
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Getting rid of $peedy would be the most positive change in the sport right now.
  7. berthesghost

berthesghost New Member

Isn't this really where the sport has been shifting for years now? Especially once they adopted cop, the LP just really became a double length SP. What's the point of it really, it's lost it's entire original intent. Whatever we thought we had in the "free skate" we lost years ago, slowly chiseled away at until cop killed it for good.
  8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am not going to travel long distances to watch skaters do one program each (exhibition excluded, since I don't care if I miss those). Skaters on skating shows like Friggin' Stars on Ice do two programs.
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Oh, this isn't an early April fool's...

Getting rid of the SP and combining Jr/sr worlds just sounds like a plan to save money. Does that mean the ISU loses money for each extra day f the championships? Do the ad sales and ticket sales for the SPs not cover the costs of holding them?

If they get rid of SD ice dance would truly lose the tiny bit of dance it has left.
  10. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Ugh. I think this calls for figure skating's independence from the ISU stat. It makes no sense for a speed skater who admittedly knows little about figure skating to preside over it, and vice-versa for a figure skater about speedskating should that ever happen.
  11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Back during the 6.0 days, I would have been up in arms and protesting in anger. Now, I find the SP to be sort of redundant and am no longer sure what the point of if it is anymore. They need to seriously restructure it to make it more distinguishable from the LP or get rid of it. Even the SD has moved away from dancing and rhythms and become a canvas for couples to just do COP-recognized elements.
  12. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Some of those "ideas" in that article are completely moronic. Even the speed skating ones have me beyond miffed.
  13. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

14. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Interesting. I didn't realize he hated skating so much.
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

What? This has to be some bizarre early April Fools Day joke. Even the speed skating remarks are ridiculous! Way to kill two sports with one idiot!
  16. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

How in the H-E- double hockey sticks did this clown ever get such power? He wants to leave a legacy? He will be remembered as the man that killed figure skating. (he is already over halfway there)
  17. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Eliminate Cinquanta before he eliminates skating. :saint:
  18. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

& the comments about no other sports having more than one "event" are factually inaccurate. Examples include numerous track & field events like decathlon, etc. & gymnastics all around. Keeping judging anonymous is contrary to resolving complaints about how figure skating is judged. Then, complaining about the lack of country representation in speed skating while reducing that in figure skating through qualifying rounds, scores,etc. I think he may have lost his marbles! Ugh.
  19. sequins

sequins New Member

WTH is this man smokin? It's like the ramblings of a mad man. Damn straight he'll kill 2 sports at once. 2 that I happen to love. Hasn't he done enough damage? Step aside please, like now! God I hope no one is listening.
  20. rosiekins

rosiekins New Member

WHAT IS THIS CRAP??? Can't he be impeached or something? IDGI.
  21. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

22. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I hate to say this...but for once he makes sense.

The short program has become unnecessary . The free program is just two short programs glued together. With the introduction of the team event I see no need to keep the short programs alive (at least for the singles). Get rid of them all together.

What I do suggest is a better format for the team competition. I mean the current one is pointless.
  23. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Is this part of some master plan that when the reins are handed over to DG everyone is relieved?
  24. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Eliminate Short programs?
    :wideeyes::wideeyes::wideeyes:

Figure Skating just died :cold:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Maofan7

Maofan7 Well-Known Member

Cinquanta has already done so much damage to the sport. If he gets away with this, and short program's go, then the sport is completely dead. Cinquanta should just go, and go now.
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

But if there is only one program instead of two, that gives the crooked judges one less chance to cheat. Maybe this is $peedy's way to clean up the judging without, you know, actually having to do anything.
  27. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

I think it's all a plot to get us focused on something besides the Sochi Olympics :sekret:.
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  28. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

This is what we get for mocking the team event.
  29. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Eliminating Speedy will be the best thing that could happen to figure skating in my memory at least.
  30. neptune

neptune New Member

But it also makes cheating a lot less work. It's definitely easier to get away with cheating in only one segment than in two. ;)

Besides, the more data you have for the skaters, the more likely you are to be able to gauge the skaters' abilities correctly. For instance, two programs will give you more information about the skaters than one. I mean, what if each skater did only one program, lasting for 1 minute? How much information would you gain in that 1 minute to determine the best skater? :D And luck would play a bigger role than ever.

I thought this was an April Fool's joke. If this happens, then skating, which is already anemic, is pretty much dead. :p

The next thread would no doubt be titled:

Cinquanta Wants to Eliminate Figure Skating ;)
  31. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

It seems like we are witnessing the end of the sport.
  32. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

I hold you personally responsible.
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  33. usethis2

usethis2 New Member

As has been pointed out many times, the system has less to do with fraud than fraudsters and their enablers.
  34. amaro

amaro New Member

Chiquanta, stop beating around the fxxking bush and fix the anonymous judging.
  35. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Any FSUer in Tokyo! Please :mitchell: $peedy in the face.
    WTF!! He already messed up this sport and finally try to stop its breath. :EVILLE:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Next he'll eliminate music and choreography and require everyone to perform their jumps in speed skate inspired national uniforms.

"In a sport with jumps surely there must be jumpsuits", he'd say.

Grimey Bastard. :mad:
  37. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

I have no idea if you are being serious or not, but that is indeed the reason this "letter" was "leaked".

The week of world champs, no less.
  38. neptune

neptune New Member

Not a bad idea! And of course, there will eventually be only one judge--from Russia, who gives each competitor a score from 1 to 100.

Then in the final iteration, the skaters won't be required to skate at all. They'll just take a "skating theory" test, and won't even have to be physically present to do so. They'll just take the test over the Internet, with the results available for a $100 fee.

Real exciting stuff, folks! ;)
  39. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

The ISU does not want to fix the anonymous judging. They are happy with the system as is, because it's easier for them to manipulate the results.
  40. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I'm actually all for this. Pairs LP's always seems 30 seconds or so too long to me.

I also agree that the SP has become a bit redundant, since all the same elements are essentially required in the LP too, but I would rather see a significant restructuring of the SP and LP than scrapping the SP.

I also really like the idea of holding the junior and senior worlds together and think it would be a great benefit to the junior skaters.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014