Cinquanta attempts to pull a fast one on ISU members

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Visaliakid, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

The proposal contained within Article 9, Paragraph 1 of the Provisory Version of the Summary of Proposals For The 54th ISU Ordinary Congress and supported by the Russian Skating Federation, is nothing more than a "trick" invented by Ottavio Cinquanta to remain in his seat until 2016.

Read this Article and my comments on it here.

peibeck and (deleted member) like this.
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Reading that ISU document makes me :eek: that the official language of the ISU is English. Surely they could divert some money from the maintenance funds for $peedy's lavish villa into hiring someone who could edit their documents so that they are readable.

That being said, however - is it true that $peedy loses his seat on the IOC executive board if he is no longer president of the ISU? My impression was that the elected members stood for their candidacy as representatives from member federations, and that if elected they served out their IOC terms even if their job ended at their federation.

However, if $peedy would indeed lose his IOC job if he lost his ISU job, this makes me think that he has not done a very good job of politicking or making friends in the IOC. Because if he had I am sure there would be some other cushy IOC position waiting for him, and he wouldn't be worried about leaving the IOC board.

3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

How long has he been in power, anyway?

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that in any organization, public, private, or nonprofit, having someone be at the top for so long (10-15 years now?) creates a fertile breeding ground for corruption and insider dealing, not to mention poor succession planning, poor development of new/fresh talent and expertise that could take the organization forward, and increased resistance to/ignorance of new ideas and changing market trends and conditions.

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Not to be an ageist but they are both too old to be in that position.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Go Blue for ISU!

i can make some glittery campaign posters

peibeck and (deleted member) like this.
  6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Does anyone have a link to this proposal? I can't find it on ISU's website.

7. pp55

pp55 Member

8. Visaliakid

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Pulling a fast one? That's why they call him "$PEEDY"!

10. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Cinquanta has been the ISU President since 1994. And although we never really want to hear it again: "Time to Say Goodbye." :p

11. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Cinquanta is a lot like Putin. He doesn't know when to just go away.

12. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

[sarc on] I'm truly shocked that $peedy would try such a thing. [sarc off]

13. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

It could be that there may be :sekret: :bribe: involved with respect to Olympic city selection and Speedy will simply continue to profit personally if he remains on the voting panel for the Olympics.

Corruption and insider dealings with respect to host city selection are not alien to the Olympic movement (Salt Lake, anyone?) and are endemic in certain sports (hosting the World Cup in hot-as-hell Qatar with little existing event infrastructure?!? gimme a break).

The fact that Speedy has been in power at the ISU since, like, forever also foments a dangerous lack of accountability and transparency at the ISU, and should at least invite stringent third-party audits of ISU finances, contract procedures, potential conflicts of interest, and potential insider dealings - all of which should be posted publicly on its web site.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

The type on your blog is so small, I couldn't find the entry you are complaining about. Why not just copy it here so everyone understands the issue?

15. Visaliakid

How about you scroll back up to post #8 in this thread and click on the link that is provided there MacMadame!

DaveRocks and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I'll listen to "Time to Say Goodbye" all year long if $peedy would just LEAVE! :lynch:

17. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I wish I could say I was upset, but I just don't see any potential change agents within the ISU. The likely successors to Speedy are all just as corrupt, maybe moreso.

The time to kick out Cinquanta was 10 years ago. People tried. They're all banned now, and the people who have positions of power are sycophants who have been happy to go along with Cinquanta to advance their own personal and federation agendas.

It hardly matters who runs the ISU. I hope Cinquanta stays in power until someone can take down him and his lackeys with bullets and gunsmoke.

18. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

If this goes on much longer fans may have to resort to giving Speedy the Gary Bettman treatment and boo every time he appears in public. Which is arguably disrespectful to the skaters, but on the other hand, the hockey plays don't seem to mind...:cool:

19. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

How old is piseev? Didier?
    If the implication here is that he's trying to freeze out dore, whom is it that he's saving the spot for that can't outrun dore?

20. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Dore, Piseev, Cinquanta- they all have issues IMHO. Not surprised Cinquanta is attempting this though.

21. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Some of us have been booing him for years - the first time it happened (at quite a loud level) he claimed to
    not understand what it meant....

22. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

Conspiracy theories and discussion are just plain fun.:)

The proposal is not new. For some time, there have been discussions regarding revision of ISU Congress meeting protocols. No evidence has been presented.that the proposal originated with Mr. Cinquanta, although it is my hope he supports it.

The Figure Skating Federation of Russia clealy states its reasons for proposing such a change in ISU Meeting procedures. The Figure Skating Federation of Russia is faced with a potentially very difficult Winter Olympics, considering the location and socio/political situation in that part of the World. It should not be hard to accept their discomfort of having to deal with a new cast of International Skating Union Officers and Council Members leading up to the Olympics.

You will note that U. S. Figure Skating also supports and proposes the same concept, citing cost savings. Most important, U.S. Figure Skating states that changing the ISU meeting process will reduce the number of rule changes that Federations are forced to deal with each cycle.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. drfj

drfj Member

Sochi Olypic will take place in 2014 February, the ISU congress is usually in June. So the Russian Skating Federation dont have to deal with a new cast if the International Skating Union Officers,as the Olympic is 5 months earlier as the ISU Congress.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

1731 or 1732. I'll google it if you need an exact date.

25. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

From Wikipedia
    and

26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I am a much more trustworthy source than wikipedia.

:D

27. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

We've been booing Cinquanta at skating events for years. Invariably, we get looks from some people for doing it, but as soon as we start to list off our reasons for booing him, people agree with us.

28. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

Actually, it is hard to accept their discomfort.