Cinnamon chicken & babies as battering rams: Or the LHOTP thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lulu, Oct 15, 2012.

1. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

She said in the book that it was a wig after the first episode or two. The big exception was the episode where Laura dreams the Ingalls are rich and the Olsens are poor. Nellie is shown with straight hair and in rags. That is Allison's hair.

2. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

^^^Also the "Little Women"episode where Nellie gets fitted for for a wig during one of the play rehersals.

I love the dream sequences. Being born on Halloween gave Michael Landon a twisted sense of
    humor. :)

3. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I love that you know that. :)

4. asdf334

asdf334 Member

I don't recall an episode where that was the focus. However, there was one storyline where Charles went to some convention in Chicago and it was strongly implied that seeking them out was something the guys did when they went to these things.

5. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Well a woman showed up at his door and he had close the door , anotherscene in the episode had the men running after several 'ladies' having some fun
    ( ps I just rewatched this one yesterday, my memory is not THAt good!!!!
    ( the episode also included Mary coming along to see her boyfriend who was ready to dump her) good times!!!

6. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

That was the Grange convention. I don't remember the name of the episode.
    Darn that John.

7. Karina1974

^^^^ "Times Of Change" from Season 4.

My b-day is tomorrow, & I'm always the one who brings the entertainment for after-dinners with my parents, so I decided to bring over a couple eppys from Season 2 - "The Gift"(Laura & Mary use the Sunday School $$ to buy medicines to sell to try to buy Rev. Alden a better birthday present than the one they can actually afford); The Richest Man in Walnut Grove (family pulls together to raise the cash to pay off their debt at the Mercantile); & "Centennial" (Russian immigrant loses his house and land in a tax sale because he doesn't realize that when he purchased the land he also purchased the tax liability). One of my dad's favorite singers plays the role of the Russian (no one else can speak and sing as convincingly in Russian or in the Russian accent as Theo Bikel).

8. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Well, Karina, first of all thank you for informing me on something I grew up with. Secondly, the "I Love NY" campaign was singlemindedly an attempt to bring investors and wealth back to NYC, Manhattan in particularly. I could youtube every ILNY commercial from the 70s. Yes, it was to bring tourism back to the entire state, I mean you do have Niagara Falls and the Adirondacks of course, but let's be clear, the campaign was to rehabilitate NYC. To think otherwise is to think ignorantly. Just an FYI for you Karina.

Here is a boring YT about ILNY from the 70s. No one mentioned your upstate NY heritage. It's all about Manhattan. And sorry, when I went skiing, my family went to Vermont.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3cGfCSJ_4

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

How was Pa paying the hookers? Weren't the Ingalls dirt poor?

I got it-He fake fiddled in the lounge area, and was paid via the barter system for providing the evening's entertainment.

Was this show really so soapy? I think I watched it as kid for a year or two, but I don't remember bath houses, prostitutes, and morphine addicted children.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Tonight's episode: Charles cures alcoholism

11. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Yeah, "Charles" should know....Michael Landon took his coffee with three fingers of Wild Turkey in it! (Per Alison Arngrim's book.)

12. lulu

lulu New Member

Sounds like a former professor of mine...

13. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

the grange were paying (to get HIS vote) and i think as kids we filtered out all the yucky- although i recall thinking long and hard about the sylvia episode.....
    (omg i know WAY too much about this topic.....)

14. Alex Forrest

It was pretty funny. Charles felt that the saloon was too noisy after his kids should be asleep that he approached the owner to lower the sound. So ole 'glass ribs' Charles got his butt beaten yet again. Poor Pa always had his ribs broken, at least in Winoka he deserved it.

15. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Several years ago I drove from my home in Michigan to see a friend in Des Moines. On the way there I decided to go on a Little House tour. I went to Plum Creek and De Smet. As a lover of the real history behind the books and people in them, I was in my glory visiting the place Laura and her family lived. Walking the banks of Plum Ceek was especially exciting because while the dugout house has collapsed, you can still see the depression left in the ground, wade into the creek, and walk the meadow Laura wrote about so clearly. Seeing the trees planted by Pa in De Smet that formed a wind break around the house was also a thrill. The house is gone, but their well is there and you can see the Big Slough. The feed store in town where the family stayed during the bad winters in still there, although it's not preserved as their home. The family actually had a more permanent home a few blocks away that Pa built when running the farm became too difficult. You can tour the house and see so many personal belongings, especially of Mary's. After Pa died, they had to rent out half the house to boarders to make ends meet. If you are a fan of the stories, visiting these places is like a mecca. Oh yeah, the surveyor's house that the family lived in when they first moved by Silver Lake has been moved into the town of De Smet, and that too can be toured. I never knew about the real Nellie Olsen and LIW's inspiration for her book character until visiting De Smet.

I loved the shows, but the more I learned about the books and researched the history, the more discontent I was about them. I, too, could never figure out why even Mr. Edwards had a nicer house and furniture than the Ingalls. I hated all the horrible events that Micheal Landon invented for the show. Mary's baby dying? Really! Was that necessary?

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  16. lulu

lulu New Member

17. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'd love to go see those to spots! Laura's adult home in Missouri is also high on my list. I did get the chance when I was in Minneapolis to take a side trip to Pepin, Wisconsin, the town she visits in Little House in the Big Woods. There is a small museum there and the approximate site of the house where Laura lived is marked seven miles away. Kind of sad to see that the "Big Woods" is now flattened. But the history behind the books has always fascinated me, so I love to go and see where the real life people lived.

19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation, I went and bought it and also Don't Trade Your Baby for a Horse: And Other Ways to Make Your Life a Little More Like Laura Ingalls Wilder by the same author. That book also reminded me how many expressions and life lessons I actually take from the books. It's kind of funny, but there are a few that have stuck with me, particularly "Make hay while the sun shines" (which was literal in the book, my I often use figuratively in my life) and Ma's expression "Least said, soonest mended" (with my personal addendum being "unless you need to apologize").

I can't say that I take the same kind of life lessons from the TV series though! I'm not sure what those lessons would be...let's see, don't try to do fake boobs with apples because they'll fall out. Don't walk alone in fields because there might be a mime followng you. Try to adopt as many orphans as possible. When you're upset or in trouble, the most appropriate thing to do is to start crying (preferably with a trembling lip) and then turn and run away as dramatically as possible (coined the "TARA" on Television Without Pity). If you're going to be on a stagecoach that will flip over, make sure you have a pair of glasses that will start a fire to alert people of your presence. I'm sure there are plenty more, they are just slightly less useful in my real life than the book lessons ;)

20. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I always had a sense wanting to help people, but the show really makes me want to be a better person. That there a is "can do" even if you don't have a lot to help with..
    Another thing, to speak up for what's right even if everyone else sits back in apathy or fear. Or to defend someone who can't for speak up for themselves.
    To never take each other for granted, because there are only so many tomorrows.

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

when i was little the show made me think, dont marry anyone who makes you live in a tiny house then keeps brings home extra people to stuff up in the loft

22. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Johnny Johnson. What a name.

23. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

He was actually in one of the books.

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

This show spawned the career of Shannon Doherty, nuff said!

One thing from the book that always comes to mind is "draw the broom Laura, don't flip it." I have NO IDEA why this stays with me so vividly, but I think of it whenever I'm sweeping the kitchen floor.

I forget which book it's from (golden years?), but she's at least a young teenager.

25. Alex Forrest

Watching "May We Make Them Proud". And what a horrible episode. At least it looks like Alice when she was using Adam JR to break the window might have broken his neck, so Adam JR didn't burn to death. Alice killed him before she went up in flames. And what was the DEAL with Adam and Mary outside the burning building and having NO thought about their child? Hester Sue goes "OMG, the baby!" Then Adam calmly says "Hester Sue, where is Alice and the baby?" You FOOL. Then we hear Melissa Sue wailing "My BABY! My baby!" as if it were the first time she ever thought about Adam Jr. Too much wrong with this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajdwq9YViqc

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  26. lulu

lulu New Member

That scene had so much fail.

27. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

You beat me to it!! It's a really interesting story!

29. Karina1974

^^^ That's not news. Anyone who's done any reading on the real-life Ingalls family knows that.

30. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

It's news to me! (And apparently CNN as well since it is currently the #2 story below the bunker guy) I have read all the books multiple times but I will definitely look for a better biography.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.