Cinnamon chicken & babies as battering rams: Or the LHOTP thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lulu, Oct 15, 2012.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

The Doctor's Lady episode: Doctor Baker falls in love wih Harriet's niece, Kate. He has to admit that she is too young for him when he sees Kate playing with Mary and Laura. :yikes:

What about the "miracle" episodes: Laura up on the mountain with Ernest Borgnine seems to be an hermit but really is an "angel". Adam regaining his site with a knock on the head. When Charles refuses to admit that James will likely never recover from his gunshot wound, he leaves Walnut Grove with his adopted son. He builds an altar in the woods and hopes that God will bring a miracle.

2. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Erm, she was a few years older than Mary and Laura .. iirc there might've been a 20 year age difference (it's not like she was jailbait!) :lol:

3. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yeah, my best example of this is that Dirty Dancing was my favourite movie when I was 8. I had no idea about the abortion story until I saw the movie as an adult...I was kind of amazed in retrospect my parents let me watch the movie over and over, but since I clearly didn't get it, it obviously didn't matter.

Now, back to LHOTP...the show was cheesy fun, but I'm always a little sad that Michael Landon took such liberties with the books. I know he would have had to do some stretching in order to make things work for TV, but there were a ton of stories in the book that could have made great TV that he left out. And he didn't need to stretch things as far as he did IMO. But since he did, I will agree that the show is hilarious, albeit probably not intentionally. As a child I loved Laura because I love the books, but as an adult re-watching, I agree that the Olesons are the best part of the show. I also love that Allison Arngrim and Melissa Gilbert were such good friends in real life and how much they enjoyed getting to fight with each other.

4. lulu

lulu New Member

Was that the one where Charles, Jr. dies and Laura blames herself? I liked that episode. :slinkaway

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I actually did too. I just found the addition of all the miracles to Landon's stories a little off putting.

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Hey, go back and watch Sesame Street from before it became "The Elmo Show". Lots of parental bonuses and getting crap past the radar. Heck, I was seventeen (yes, I was watching Sesame Street, when you only get two TV channels your options are limited) and realized that a sketch I'd probably seen half a dozen times as a kid was a full-on parody of "High Noon", down to the song riffing on "Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling". STRAIGHT over my head when I was little. I know I saw some "adult" movies as a kid that were probably a bit mature in subject matter, but unless it was something scary, it never seemed to register.

7. lulu

lulu New Member

I lurve classic Seseame Street. :swoon:

8. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

YAY, I'm home.

That was, "The Lord Is My Shepard." :) One of my favorites.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  9. lulu

lulu New Member

No snark, I always get emotional watching that episode.

10. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

thanks to this thread- i just lots days rewatching episodes on youtube- there are so many!!!

11. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

For those who get the Hallmark channel, they show two episodes a night and are just starting with the first season again. Last night was the first Christmas episode when Laura trades her pony to buy ma a stove.

12. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Same. The whole thing was heartwrenching. Especially, Ernest Borgnine. The unlikely Angel "Jonathan" had me in tears.

13. nypanda

nypanda New Member

There was a stage show/musical of Little House doing out of town try-outs a few years ago, starring Melissa Gilbert as Ma. I am a child of the 70's, grew up on that show, and LIW's books, and took my then 4 year old to see the show in NJ. It was meh -- had good points and bad points (Ms. Gilberts' then-hubby as Pa was atrocious) -- but Melissa did a good job and, admittedly, moved me to tears when she took a star bow as Ma in the curtain call, gestured to the actress playing Laura and then bowed to her before presenting her to the audience again.

But the best part of that adventure was that my daughter re-invented her Halloween plans and insisted on going as Nellie Olsen.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  14. lulu

lulu New Member

That's :kickass: Since Melissa played Ma in the stage version, it would have been fantastic if Alison Arngrim played Harriet. Yeah I know, Arngrim looks nothing like Katherine MacGregor, but still, would have been fun to have Laura & Nellie reunite.

15. lulu

lulu New Member

Mr. Edwards creeped me out a bit.

16. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Noooo lol Mr. Edwards was a teddy bear.

17. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

We don't know what the real Mrs. Oleson looked like, so she could've!

18. lulu

lulu New Member

LOL. Here's a picture of the real Mr. Ingalls sporting a beard that would give Mr. Edwards a run for his $ http://www.liwfrontiergirl.com/pa.html
    http://www.liwfrontiergirl.com/

The site even includes a picture of the real Rev. Alden, but alas, no pictures of any of the 3 girls who inspired the Nellie Oleson character.

19. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

She wore a wig as Nellie, so couldn't Alison Arngrim have worn a jet black wig to play Harriet? That would have been a scream! They probably weren't going for that much camp in the show, though.

Better yet, put the black wig on Melissa Sue Anderson, and have her be Harriet!

20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

he was always willing to take in young boys :)

21. lulu

lulu New Member

:rofl:

22. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Charles was born in the county right next to mine. 32 miles from where I grew up. :lol:

23. lulu

lulu New Member

If someone did Little House: On Ice, or acted out the top JTS moments for a long program, that would seriously be the greatest, campiest program since Huebert's prostitute on crack routine. :lol:
    BTW, we know Albert had a morphine addiction, were there any "ladies of the evening" storylines on LHOTP? I'm assuming there were, considering they had quite a few episodes centered around the big city.

24. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I grew up about 30 mles from the location of the little house near Independence, KS.

25. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Alison wore a wig towards the end. Probably because of a haircut. Most seasons that was all her.

26. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

When they all moved (Sleepy eye or Winoka?), Charles and family lived at the Saloon and Harriet took up a job as a trampy waitress. :lol:

27. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

No, she wore a wig throughout the entire series, because her own hair wouldn't stay in the curls. Alison did several interviews for the DVD sets, and she talks about this very subject. She mentioned that the wig fastened on with a metal comb and sometimes her scalp would bleed from the teeth digging in.

28. Karina1974

Winoka. The Ingalls family lived at the hotel, where Charles was the manager and Caroline did the cooking.

29. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Oh ok. I'd seen her in a pic with curlers, but that was the probably the first season.

30. Karina1974

Yeah, I think you do see her natural hair in the first few episodes, but she said trying to get her hair into that style was such a PITA they went to wigs. She has that stick-straight hair that you just can't do fancy stuff with because it just won't stay in place. I know, I have that same kind of hair & I chopped it all off 4 years ago and never looked back. Actually, Alison's hairstyle in the interviews looks a lot like mine - cropped really short with bangs.

They also interviewed both Melissas, & MSA said a lot of the women on the show wore wigs to replicate the styles of the time. Miss Beadle's hair is painfully obviously a wig.