Cinnamon chicken & babies as battering rams: Or the LHOTP thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lulu, Oct 15, 2012.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

Carrying on from the JTS thread.

BTW, besides Christopher Bowman & Shannen Doherty, Todd Bridges also made a cameo appearance on LHOTP as Solomon.

By far my favorite LHOTP character was Nellie Olesen (AA is pretty kick ass in real life, so I'm sure that had something to do with it).

Who's your favorite LHOTP character?
  2. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Oh, so many awful moments from LHOTP. It was so bad it was fantastic. I admire Michael Landon for wanting to put on family-friendly programming, but someone should have given him a memo that rapist clowns and morphine-addicted orphans aren't exactly subjects that the whole family would enjoy. Not to mention the fact that while the real Ingalls family went through some tough times, the melodrama of the TV family would have sent the real family into seizures. They probably would have been able to generate energy from all the grave spinning.

I still think my proudest moment is introducing someone to the finale episode. We sat on the phone and laughed all the way through to the final explosion. Fabulous.
  3. lulu

lulu New Member

Then there's poor Mary's baby dying in a fire (thankfully, the real Mary never suffered the same fate, she didn't have any children, AFAIK).

Just the freak out even more people: Albert in morphine withdrawal

:eek:
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Mrs Olsen :cheer2:
  5. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Mrs. Olson and Nellie are my favorites. And Nells, he gets to tell them off a lot. :lol:
  6. lulu

lulu New Member

I love the Olsens! :cheer:
  7. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Harriet and Nellie were my favorite characters. And Alison Arngrim's book is hilarious. I'm FB friends with her and she's really snarky. In a fun and kind way of course.

Let's see, the worst episodes would have to involve the Greenbush twins. "The Godsister" was so awful in its awfulness, and L/SG could not act to save their lives. The Anthrax episode was unnecessary even though Doc Baker had a catchy line "I'm not a doctor, I'm a funeral director..." LOL

Michael Landon really had a dark side. This was a family friendly show about prairie life, yet in a town of maybe 20 people you've never seen more alcoholics, drug addicts, people with disabilities, rapists, thieves, etc elsewhere.

It was also soooo annoying how Pa would always get his nose up in everyone's business. And Laura turned into a shrew and became totally unlikeable. At least Nellie's character arc was nice to see. Laura's was the exact opposite.

And of course when John Carter and Almanzo go to San Francisco and end up naked together in a bath house. Landon really did have a sense of humor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ibd8-1vWfo
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  8. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Nellie and Mrs. Olesen were definitely my favorites. I think my favorite episode is one in which a very young Nellie runs away to get married, and her mother goes into a frenzy trying to find her before the marriage is consummated.

One thing I always wondered about was that everyone in Walnut Grove, no matter what their financial status, seemed to have a better house with nicer furnishings than the Ingalls family had--front porch, lace curtains, real furniture not made by Pa, an actual bedroom, etc.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Nope. She never married or left home once she finished at the school for the blind. It also was a tad uglier--she didn't just have a fever as in the books, it caused a stroke which triggered the blindness. IIRC after Charles and Caroline had died she went to live with Carrie and her husband until she herself died, IIRC from another stroke. Laura actually outlived her entire family including Almanzo (except her only surviving child, Rose), including her younger sisters. Even the books gloss reality a little (they're also out of order; chronologically "Prairie" should come before "Woods".) Rose insisted they were true, but probably edited quite a bit herself and the original manuscripts that exist are different from the published versions.

No morphine addicts, rapist clowns, not many dead babies (even Laura's dead little brother is left out, though she leaves in her own dead son), and no bath houses.
  10. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Another one here for Harriet and Nellie! And Nancy as well, I LOVE her!
    Such a great show. <333
  11. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

OMG :eek: I just realized what this thread was :lol: I LOVED little house.. I watched all the episodes and read all the books.. LOL.. I had such a crush on Michael Landon :eek: I was so sad when poor Mary went blind :(
  12. lulu

lulu New Member

I never really got the purpose of Nancy, except as an inspiration to Drag Queens everywhere. ;) Was she some relative that the Olesens took in?

Speaking of LHOTP horror moments, don't forget the episode where Ma almost chopped off her leg because it was infected. The greatest irony about LHOTP is that in syndication, the show was on TBS, PAX and Hallmark. The latter two stations especially, made a big deal about LHOTP as a "wholesome show" for the "entire family", blah, blah, blah; but suddenly you're in front of the T.V., and there is beloved Ma Ingalls almost going all O.J. on her leg. :rofl:

I just love Michael Landon, the San Francisco bath plotline is hilarious. :eek:
  13. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

She was an orphan that the Olesens adopted to cure Harriet's empty nest syndrome. She was Nellie 2.0.
  14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if they had just replaced carrie with someone who could speak in full sentences, they wouldnt have needed all of these random children milling about.
  15. Alex Forrest

Carrie should have been replaced after the second season when it became clear to everyone that L/SG were 'special' kids and had no ounce of acting ability. It was awful listening to Carrie just say ONE line, and the entire scene deflated immediately. And Landon would have her say the DUMBEST things, or have her pee all over herself. It was odd.

Nancy? YOU HATE ME!!!!! She and Rhoda Penmark were my favorite bad girls growing up. Unlike Nellie, who was just a mean, spoiled brat, Nancy was made to be a deranged sociopath, as if Walnut Grove needed ANOTHER one of those. Nancy meant business.

It's fun thinking back on the show. It was not your lightweight family fare. It was opera.
  16. lulu

lulu New Member

The Carrie pees on herself subplot was probably developed because as a child, Michael Landon had a bedwetting problem and his mother would take the wet sheets and put them on display so that everyone would see. :(

But yes, Lindsay & Sindey Greenbush should have been replaced.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Seriously, in her first episode she literally tried to kill someone, and she almost succeeded. But everybody treated her locking somebody in an ice house as a really mean prank rather than the attempted murder that it was. I don't believe she ever had any intention of letting that girl out or telling anyone where she was. She would have let them look for her for a few days until someone found her in there dead.

But didn't she punch Harriet in the face the first time they met? That was kind of awesome.

Carrie should have died down in that well.
  18. lulu

lulu New Member

Oh my gawd, that is all kinds of awesome. :rofl: Given the dark plot lines of LHOTP, I'm surprised Michael Landon didn't end the show with Nancy blowing up the Church-with the entire population of Walnut Grove trapped inside. "bringing in the sheaves..."
  19. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I take it you aren't familiar with the practice of cauterization.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauterizing

20. Alex Forrest

I remember that film from the 70s. The Final Lap or something, and I think MSA played Lance Kerwin's girlfriend (Lance was my first age-appropriate crush, what a cutie pie)

I don't think Landon really was going there with Carrie. Bedwettting is entirely different from standing on a city street sidewalk and peeing on yourself.

I just never understood WHY they had to adopt all those kids??? If you want to bring in new youth, fine, let them be schoolhouse friends and develop stories around that. But demon Albert? James and Cassandra? Why couldn't they have simply played classmates?

And poor Carrie should have stayed down that mineshaft, ITA. It was for her own good.
  21. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Double post
  22. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

I loved the show, watched every week, when we went to Scotland for a family holiday I recall asking my nan if they had the show and getting all excited it was on, three or four seasons behind mind you!
    Laura and Nellie were very well cast, as was Landon, the show least it when they took off on their own story lines, I had always wanted to see the sets ( and after that fire I guess I never will) and have a good run down the hill!!!
  23. mkats

mkats New Member

:rofl: y'all have inspired me to pick up this show. It sounds like an excellent trainwreck :watch:
  24. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I remember being really traumatized seeing an episode where a gigantic bear attacked Mr. Edwards and tore a big chunk of flesh out of him. It was really graphic. I don't remember this episode ever coming up in the syndicated runs but if it did I changed the channel before that scene. That's what I do when Albert goes Cold Turkey. And good grief, why did they have to kill off Albert in one of those sequel TV-movies? At least it ended before he did actually die.

How about Jenny trying to commit suicide by drowning, complete with a rock? Real wholesome stuff.

A favorite from the "New Beginning" episodes: Willie falls in love, decides to ditch entering college and make his living running Nellie's restaurant, plans a wedding complete with Mr. Edwards as best man, and tells off his mother, concluding "and that's the way it's going to be." After Harriet goes off in a huff, Nels then tells his son how proud he is of him!
  25. lulu

lulu New Member

Oh, I realize the scene was medically/historically accurate, it was just another example of the graphic horrible tribulations that the show's characters went through for our amusement. ;) Not to mention, the scene was a bit :eek:
  26. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

LOL! That one was just on last night!
  27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Loved the Laura v Nellie battles. Especially the one where Nellie pretends to be paralyzed and Laura spends the episode thinking of ways to show Nellie is faking it. Also loved it when Nels got to tell off Harriet & Nellie, those spoiled brats.

HATED the family hoedowns with Pa's/Michael Landon's utterly unbelievable fiddle-faking.
  28. lulu

lulu New Member

I love that episode!
  29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

So loving this thread, favorite characters were Nellie, Nels and Harriet. HATED goody two shoes Mary who was played by Melissa Sue Anderson who had issues of her own on the set, total opposite of Mary. As for Carrie, the twins who played her should had been given speech therapy but their mom thought it was cute how they spoke.
  30. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

I love the episode when the Ingalls and Olesons go camping and Mrs. Oleson and her kids get poison ivy. Also the 2-parter where Pa and Joe Kagan go pick up the blind kids from somewhere and Mrs. Oleson tags along thinking Mrs. Tremayne is some society chick, but she's actually African-American. And how she has to hike back and ford rivers wearing her fancy dresses. Too funny.
  31. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Mrs. Terhune was her name.

Remember the one where Albert conned Harriet into buying a honey log and lied about the safe time to transport it? Sting-a-rama for Harriet and Nellie!

I loved Nellie and Percival together.

If any of you have not read Allison Arngrim's bio Confessions of a Prairie Bitch please do yourself a favor and do so pronto! You will not be sorry!
  32. Karina1974

Laura didn't know that Nellie was faking it until the end of the episode. She instead was neglecting her own homework to help Nellie keep up with hers (which meant actually DOING Nellie's work for her) all because she felt guilty over the fact that it had been "her" horse (that she had traded for the Christmas stove for Ma, and still visited and gave apples to) that had caused Nellie's injuries (no thanks to the fact that Nellie had no clue how to treat horses properly!). Showing that Nellie was faking it was the simple part, once she did find out by seeing Nellie waltzing with her new doll through the living room curtains.

Shame that they killed Bunny off later on in Season 3.
  33. Karina1974

Alison Arngrim talks about Steve Tracy in the commentary she did for "Come Let Us Reason Together," the episode where Harriet and Percival's parents square off over what religion their unborn child is going to be (not knowing Nellie is carrying twins). Alison and Steve were very, very tight friends, and his death from AIDS in 1986 is the reason she got involved in AIDS activism. She also said that sometimes it is really difficult for her to watch the episodes he was in because even after all this time she still misses him very much.

But YOU know that, because you read her book.
  34. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

You can see it's been a few years since I watched it. I fondly remember Laura pushing Nellie down a hill and into a pond, Nellie standing up, and her mom saying "IT'S A MIRACLE!" and Laura laughing with glee. . .
  35. Karina1974

:lol::lol: "Your mother wants you! You're such a GOOD friend, Nellie!" And Harriet fainting and falling backwards out of the buggy.... Classic!
  36. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The episode I cannot stand to watch is May We Make Them Proud. First, Hester Sue discovers the basement is on fire and leaves the door open so the flames can spread up the only staircase. Then instead of Mary taking her baby with her to help round up the kids, she leaves the baby in the room at the top of the stairs. Alice Garvey offers to get the baby for Mary, big mistake because instead of getting the baby, Alice leaves the baby again to get Jonah out of the bathroom (who puts a lock on the bathroom door of a school for the blind?) Then when Alice finally gets around to getting Adam Jr., the only escape route is filled with flames. Instead of breaking the window and jumping out or throwing the baby into Hester Sue's arms, you see Alice screaming behind the closed window as the room is consumed with flames. Outside you have the only other sighted person who did not notice that Jonah never made it outside with the other kids nor was Alice or the baby outside. Hester Sue did not realize it until Jonah stumbled out of the building. Then Hester Sue starts screaming.

Fast forward to Charles Ingalls, he just buried his only grandchild, his daughter had a nervous breakdown after her only child died and Charles biggest concern is for Albert who started the fire. And, Charles has the nerve to ask Jonathan, who just buried his wife Alice, to help him find Albert. Jonathan goes with him instead of staying home and comforting his son who just lost his mother.
  37. lulu

lulu New Member

Word. I never understood why Mary or Adam didn't just grab the baby once they heard about the fire. Mary & Adam Jr. were in the same room, Mary was rocking Adam Jr. to sleep when Adam came into her room to tell her about the fire. How hard would it have been for Mary to GRAB HER BABY as she left the room?
  38. Alex Forrest

ITA. It was totally unrealistic that Mary, who was sitting there cradling her baby, just ups and leaves it when the fire was discovered. I suppose it's possible she didn't have a maternal instinct, but Mary really just possessed NO maternal instinct. She and Adam are all safe outside with the rest ofthe blind kids, and maybe ten minutes later they bother to ask "Where's Adam JR?"

I also had a big problem with the kid who locked himself in the bathroom. Seriously, a blind school with a lock on the bathroom door? Defies logic.

Then when Alice went back to get Adam JR, she very carefully wraps him up in his swaddling clothes. You almost thought she'd sing a lullaby to him. I was like "LADY, scoop up the damn kid and RUN!" Seconds matter when the house is on fire.

And that episode reinforced just how warped Charles was wrt his treatment of Albert. Albert was evil personified, he was involved in several deaths in WG, and Pa just turned a blind eye to it all. I guess boys will be boys, eh?
  39. lulu

lulu New Member

Besides Adam Jr. and Mrs. Garvey, what other deaths was Albert responsible for? I know the infamous Sylvia died, but I don't recall Adam either directly or indirectly being responsible for that one.
  40. Alex Forrest

Well Albert told the would-be rapist/killer Irv Hartwig where Sylvia was hiding out. Like DUH, unless you thought Sylvia was impregnated by her father (which at 9 was my belief), but then you learn how LHOP works. Some stranger shows up, bad stuff happens, they are killed off or never seen from again. The laughable thing was for at least another season you could see "Hartwig" on one of the town's buildings. He was the locksmith, right? Well until old cranky Mr. Webb filled his torso with buckshot.

And what in the world was Albert's life story? Did he die on the mountain? Leukemia? It was whispered in Hero Township that Albert was the first person ever to die from HIV related complications, due to his prostitutng in Winoka when he was trying to make ends meet, as in have an apple for dinner. Albert was a curious character. Utterly despisable. When he's not shooting up morphine, beating on a teacher, stealing, involved in the deaths of others, well, he has Pa's stamp of approval.