Christy Krall has resigned as Patrick Chan's coach

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yukari Lepisto, Apr 16, 2012.

1. mossop

mossop New Member

The tendency to whining and complaining may be taken as the surest sign symptom of little souls and inferior intellects. ~Lord Jeffrey

:p

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, jettasian, blah blah blah yet again blah, which is apparently Chan fan strategy to blanket any thread that has any hint of criticism of their hero. Forget about anything complimentary that is also mentioned -- just nitpick on the critiques you dislike, and flame all the critics until they go away so the thread can then be free of noise from critics and filled with ooh blah and ahhh from admiring fans and "respectful" others.

Sure, IJS most definitely provides a lot of fodder for discussion.

Yep, I'll say it again, "over-scored and over-hyped."

Thanks for being "more clear."

Hmmmm whoever "he/ she/ they is/ are" surely they is/ are able to be moved without everyone who is not, having to be, just because Chan and his SS rule, according to the judges and IJS. BTW, "devoid of any artistic value" is quite the exaggeration. If anyone ever said that Chan's skating is "devoid of any artistic value," :eek: wow, that's shameful and furthermore, not factual.

Whatever "normal criticism" means, you must be right. Yes, obviously "it is hard" for Chan fans to see their hero derided in any way shape or form. Nothing but the highest of compliments are in order for such a great skater as he. Apparently tho', it's not so hard for Chan fans and "neutral" others to give naughty Chan detractors a blah blah talking to. How dare anyone slight Patrick Chan in any way, much less boo him? Or was it the marks or the judges the Nice audience was booing ... whoops, no, there were no boos -- b/c the boos were edited out.

:huh: Okay, no please there's no need to be more clear. Whatever you said is very reasonable and respectable.

:p

Mark Twain made a good point, and he definitely had a way with words. His books and his aphorisms will continue to live on ...

In the context of this thread, I would rephrase slightly:

Never argue with the Chan gang as they will surely bring you down to their level, and beat you over the head with “incroyable” blah blah and Patrick’s superior SS. :yikes: :slinkaway

3. figuristka

figuristka New Member

Its so refreshing to read back to the thread on superior skating edges and read the warm comments made by others on Patrick. Even Daisuke and Yuzuru have respect for him. I think he is truly a skater's skater. People who have skated before would understand.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75711

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Patrick has gorgeous edges and everyone who loves skating, everyone who is a skater can surely appreciate what Patrick can do with his blades. Quite mesmerizing and lovely. IMO, it is a shame that Pat's growth and development as a skater, not to mention his competitive desire has been limited and in a sense "trashed" by the rush to over-hype his immeasurable talents and to over-score his every performance ever since he displayed commendable quad mastery.

Perhaps he will be able to rise above the limitations ironically imposed by the excessive praise from those who love his talent and by the judges who love the way he skates.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Who knows maybe some day he will become World champion. :saint:

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I don't read his remarks the way you do Katarzyna.

Patrick has never taken his competitors for granted (and that he clearly stated so in many past interviews). (Common sense dictates a true competitor will never take any competitors for granted). No one likes making mistakes and his face always show that when he makes errors and is not too happy with his own skating. Patrick is an open book.

As for his comments like 'it's not me if I don't make the silly mistake' is meant to admit he has made the silly mistake in light hearted joking manner. Yes, that's Patrick being Patrick .. always the 'joker' we all know him to be. It is unfortunate that you misinterpret him because he did not express the way you want him to. And he did openly admit his mistake if you have listened to the interview. He explained why the waxel happend.

And as for not trying to improve, how do you think he managed to up his technical skills thus far? Did you watch the tapes on his training regime? Five full days a week of training away from family and friends. If that is not hard work, sacrifice and dedication, what would you call it?

7. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

9. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

10. Sylvia

11. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I don't think so, I think it's just a freaky coincidence. It does say in her profile that her three children skate at Broadmoor and have competed at Junior National level, but as far as I know Joshua only has one sibling and that sibling (an older brother) is a bowler. (? Lawn bowls, presumably? Or ten pin?)

It does look awkward though.

EDIT: Ah, Sylvia beat me to it!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  12. spikydurian

Thanks Sylvia for posting this. I read this a few hours earlier.

Of particular interest to me is this statement "she brings the best out of Patrick". I cannot help but reflect my school days where some teachers just seem to have a special touch in motivating students. Maybe it's their personalities or just the right chemistry. (Similarly, we have witnessed how leaders could bring out the best or worse of their countrymen.)

My assumption is Patrick will get a new coach but the coach must be willing to play a lesser role or share the role with Kathy with Kathy being more the 'artistic driver' and the other coach, perhaps, the 'technical driver'. Not all coaches are comfortable with shared roles and that clearly explains Christy's resignation which is understandable. The 16X9 Global News documentary showed Patrick practicing his new Ex under Kathy's guidance. I am slowly getting the inkling that Jeff Buttle may also play a part in Patrick's 'revamped team'. Of course, I may be wrong. Meanwhile content to wait for more news from SC which probably may only be forthcoming after Worlds Trophy or much later? ;)

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

:lol:
    Just imagining all the negative total scores we'd see on the JGP!

14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

See: Nikodinov, Angela.

VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Pot, kettle, etc.

16. Sylvia

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

And what's wrong with that? :shuffle: ;)

Whose best was brought out by working with a dancer/choreographer rather than skating technician.

That will only work for someone whose basic technique is already well developed and consistent -- not early in a career.

Chan is about the same age Nikodinov was then.

18. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thank you for providing the link to the article, Sylvia.

oh, you are brave to admit to it...and truth be told, I am an edge fetishist too;)

good point. I remember the improvement in Angela's skating...she just seemed freer and more comfortable with herself as a performer. And, though I do think Chan interprets music well, I would like to see him continue to grow in these ways. As you have said, his basic technique is already so solid, so I think now he can really push himself to expand his lexicon of movement. I was really impressed with the improvements he made this season, and I look forward to seeing what he does next.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thread drift, but I don't want to miss the opportunity to sing the praises of a somewhat underrated/forgotten skater - Angela Nikodinov was one of the few ladies skaters I truly enjoyed every time she skated. So beautiful and graceful, so natural. No idea how her technik rated and I'm sure many can give more detailed analysis, but from a pure enjoyment perspective, I'd count her among the very best, IMO.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  20. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

No Joshua's mother's name is Erin Farris. I don't believe there is any relation.

21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Amazing , until today I had no idea Angela was born in my state, South Carolina.

22. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

What I meant with being rewarded for mistakes was certainly not that he’ll get extra points for a fall, but that judges will add a little extra in other areas. As others also asked to elaborate, I give you an example what I meant to express: it’s hard to explain how a performance with two big errors gets higher marks on Performance / execution and Interpretation than a performance of another athlete who skated clean (look at Patrick’s and Takahashi’s marks of Worlds Free). :rolleyes:

However, I can see that Patrick is marked fair above other skaters when making no or an equal amount of mistakes. And I think it’s good that judges now seem to reward great basic skating skills. At the end it’s figure skating and not figure jumping. ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Being behind the music certainly was the only mistake this day!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

By the way this is a discussion forum, a place where we shall feel free to exchange different opinions. I made a statement that I feel annoyed by some of Patrick’s comments. – I didn’t criticize him as a person, but just expressed how I personally perceived his comments. It ended up with a almost personal insult (someone describing my character in a negative way = as frustrated).
    I think it’s not COP which may lead some persons not to like Patrick (as it has been suggested to dedicate my frustation to COP), it’s rather some of his fans. If it’s no longer possible to discuss strengths and weaknesses of skaters in a neutral and respectful way – which of course can be perceived differently by different persons as to certain extent figure skating is a matter of taste - without getting personal, there is definitely something wrong. :(

I start thinking that Patrick will be the next Michelle Kwan – great skater, but you better don’t read threads with fanatic fans that don’t allow for the slightest critics nor can they even stand nice words devoted to other skaters. :scream:

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't even understand the premise of Schneider-Farris' article; she, not just whoever writes the headlines, asks "Could Patrick Chan possibly win the 2014 Olympics if his only coach is a modern dance teacher?"

Earlier, she writes that "Skate Canada announced that Chan will continue to keep his training base in Colorado Springs, and will continue to work with Johnson, but will take frequent trips to Toronto while he rebuilds his coaching team."

How could Johnson be his "only coach" if he's re-building his coaching team?

What hasn't been mentioned is whether Eddie Shipstead (sp?), the man with the jump harness in the profile to which figuristka linked upthread, will continue to work with him.

Also Johnson is not just responsible for the woo-woo, faux "So You Think You Can Dance" choreography she works on in the studio: in the same profile, she talks about the technical aspect of drawing out superb positions in his skating, in this case, his camel spin.

(I just hope she doesn't do his choreography...)

24. BackOnTheIce

BackOnTheIce New Member

Isn't Chan dating Kathy Johnson's daughter? :)

25. A judge

A judge New Member

Does he have any time to date?

If he is dating the daughter it might be awkward if he has to dump Kathy or the daughter.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

According to the profile from right before the WC (linked upthread), Chan is dating. (No names were named.)

27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I knew it! Patrick is going to skate pairs as well as singles, so that Gracie Gold won't win all the gold medals in Sochi! :p

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think he's shorter than Tran, so maybe this is his chance to find a tiny girl from China :) Then he'd be the first to compete for two countries in the same Olympics ;)

29. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Thank you Sylvia.
    Nice smile. He seems to be free and relaxed.
    I think the most important thing for him right now is to rekindle the passion for skating. Being with Kathy definitely works for him.
    I heartily welcome his courageous decision and can't wait to see new Patrick!

30. spikydurian

Thanks manleywoman. Never heard of Angela but I did google and watch the you-tube. Graceful skater.