Christy Krall has resigned as Patrick Chan's coach

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yukari Lepisto, Apr 16, 2012.

1. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Chan's mother had something to do with this Im sure...I really think this is going to affect Patrick in a bad way. Christy really was instrumental in him finding consistency and control over the axel and quads. Will anyone else have her scientific approach that obviously worked wonders with him? Kathy Johnson is based in Colorado I believe.

2. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

From Phil Hersh's Twitter:

Christy Krall just told me Team Chan chose to de-emphasize her role, so she chose to resign as one of Patrick Chan's coaches

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Canadian sports journalist Randy Starkman wrote about Kathy Johnson's role with Patrick Chan before last year's Worlds in Moscow: http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...-starkman-patrick-chan-plans-world-domination
    Excerpt:
    (R.I.P., Mr. Starkman :( - he died at the age of 51 today and the "shedding a single tear" phrase orginated from one of his articles for the Toronto Star.)

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

5. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

If true, this is INSANE.. Why would you mess with the winning formula?? Geez..

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the trivia...

I hope this frees her up to spend more time with Agnes!!

As for Alissa taking lessons from her, well, I think Alissa needs to gain several pounds of muscle in her rear and thighs before any coach can help her.

7. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Sorry, but if you have watched the dynamics or the interactions between "Team Chan" (Patrick and Karen) and his coaches of the last two seasons....Krall and Johnson, you can understand Krall's decision. I wonder if Chans are still working with Lori Nichol, or if they have moved on to someone else as a choreographer? Curious move on the the part of Chans, to leave someone as talented and grounded as Krall.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What is it that you had observed in K&C that is so obvious?

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Assuming that's true, this does not sound like a friendly, mutually respectful split. I imagine Phil will have more on this later? And I'm sure we'll be getting Chan's side from someone - PJ Kwong, I'd guess.

10. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Not in K&C...daily interactions in training environments/locations.

11. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Well............that just seems so weird. He was obviously doing fabulously well.

12. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Not surprising.

13. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I don't remember hearing much about Karen Chan before -- does she call the shots for Patrick? Is she a Skating Mom from Hell?

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Lori has been doing his choreo since he was a young boy under Mr Colson so I hope he doesnt change that. It will be good if he can use someone different for the SD - a different perspective would be nice.

15. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I did notice Kathy Johnson in the K&C at Worlds, things looked, well, a little stiff, not much communication amongst the three.

I thought Christy Krall did that Dartfish, or whatever it is called, jump analyzation method, and that's why he left Don Laws, to get his quads. Well he got them. But he has to keep them.

So, Kathy Johnson has another, different type of jump technique. Maybe the two methods did not mesh, and he was trying to drop one method for the other. He was awfully close to the boards in Nice, but I thought that was because it was a small rink.

How many rinks are there in the area where he lives, is that CS, I'm going to guess that things would not be comfortable for Patrick to continue skating in the same rink as Christy Krall. I am obviously not Canadian if I have to ask what coaches are in Toronto? Or Kathy goes to Detroit or New York, what else was mentioned, how close are any to Toronto? And can she do the whole thing, with Lori still doing choreo?

16. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ Toronto is about 250 miles away from Detroit and about 450 miles away from New York.

17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow. It will be interesting to see who picks him up.

18. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

I would love to see him work with Jeffrey Buttle. Patrick's gala program at world's was beautiful!!!:swoon:

19. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

In one of the pre-worlds interviews, Patrick mentioned he felt his training was getting stagnant/boring and he hoped to split his time a little more between Toronto and Colorado.
    Perhaps that was a hint as to what was to come with the coaching change.

20. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Ding, Ding, Ding, that's it, betcha. That exhibition program was superb, could it be translated into a competitive program, whatever, Jeffrey could make magic with anything.

21. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Mr. Buttle, perhaps, based on the raves for P. Chan's Worlds exhibition?

22. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

You never heard about Patrick's mom? lol.. she has quite the reputation.... ;)

23. Bue

Bue Active Member

Does she??

I am so surprised by this. Just goes to show you never know what is going on in a relationship! But I did actually notice things seemed a little... tense? Not quite normal? in the KnC at Worlds.

Ah, I love Christy Krall. She's like a really, really scary cheerleader.

24. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:huh: What is well enough should be left alone.

25. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

...because he couldn't win more than one title at a time?

26. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I remember reading that article and that comment stuck in my head so I'm not surprised to see this thread.

27. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Patrick with a SP choreographed by Shae'Lynn and a FS by Buttle.

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Based on what?

29. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

National/International level only.

Toronto coaches:
    Brian Orser at Cricket Club
    Doug Leigh at Mariposa, Barrie
    Lee Barkell at Mariposa, Barrie
    Robert Emerson at Richmond Hill TC
    Josee Chouinard at Granite Club & Richmond Hill TC
    Gregor Filipowski at York Region Skating Academy
    Tracy Wainman at York Region Skating Academy

Choreographers:
    David Wilson at Cricket Club
    Shae Lynn Bourne
    Jon & Carol Lane & Juris Razgulejevs at Scarboro SC

30. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Mevrouw said:
    Should that list not include Jeff Buttle?