Christopher Dorner manhunt in LA

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Have you heard of Dorner before today?

2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Not currently living in LA, but no, hadn't heard about Dorner and hadn't lived in the area long enough to appreciate the meaning behind "KMA" license plate holders until it hit the news today.

Even up here in the Bay Area there were Amber Alerts for his car/license plate (gray Nissan Titan, CA plate 8D83987). :eek:

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Wait. What????

ETS: Ah, I see now. That's rather.....intense.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I saw some news reports about him a few days ago when this first started. It's...kind of insane. :yikes:

The LA area is quite large though. Where they're searching is about an hour east from me, and another 30 minutes from downtown. It's too populated here for him to hide - he's likely still up in the San Bernardino mountains if his truck was found there recently. Must be scary for the cops though, since they're being targeted. :(

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

How can he possibly convince himself that killing cops and the daughter (and her fiance) of another officer is justified? He sounds coherent in his "manifesto" but his actions are not sane.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The murdered girl was his defence attorney's daughter which makes even less sense. My heart and prayers goes out to the victims and their families. Hope they catch this psycho soon!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...dorner-in-slaying-of-basketball-coach-fiance/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Heard about this tonight on Stitcher Radio. He is one sick puppy!

8. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I had to look it up. Yikes. I am outside of LA and glad I'm not in LA. So messed up and horrific.

9. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I think this is what makes the whole thing even more tragically bizarre. Meanwhile, the LAPD which has a horrible reputation to begin with, shoots two innocent women in the search for this guy. :eek:

My thoughts go out to the victims and I hope they catch this guy.

10. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

11. duane

duane New Member

One can understand the LAPD being on edge, but two separate incidents involving shootings of trucks that "looked" liked the suspect's is very disturbing.

12. UMBS Go Blue

Not defending anyone's motives or actions, but technically the first shooting in Torrance was by LAPD, while the second shooting was by Torrance PD.

Still, there was a statewide alert for his truck and license plate, so I'd hope they'd at least try to read the license plate first before shooting. Just assuming here.

Also :eek: that Monica Quan and her boyfriend were shot by Dorner at their Irvine residence (the Watermarke), which is one of the places I'd looked at for living arrangements when I lived down there. :scream:

13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

when discussing current events, please make the title say what the thread is about. Links in the first post are your friend, as well. :)

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

If I owned a Nissan Titan right now, I think I'd keep it home and take the bus! The police are stressed because they're being specifically and randomly targeted by this guy, which is not a normal situation at all for them. It's not typical police overreach, they really are scared.

And yes, if someone was REALLY coming after you, most of the time they wouldn't have to try too hard. :(

15. UMBS Go Blue

I totally agree with your sentiments, but the first Torrance shooting (the one where the LAPD fired on the women delivering newspapers) involved a blue Toyota truck:
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8984352

...which isn't exactly a gray Nissan Titan:
    http://images04.olx.com/ui/9/07/51/f_334020651-2877572776.jpeg

I know the officers are stressed out and all, but I'd also assume they're also fairly experienced at identifying and telling vehicles apart, given their active work in the field.

Also, in the first link, the truck is riddled with bullet holes. Doesn't look like they even bothered to hesitate there. :eek:

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

[/QUOTE]

So that's what that was about.

17. duane

duane New Member

Dorner likely felt that the defense attorney purposely failed to properly defend him.

The guy is definitely disturbed and needs to be immediately caught and punished for his crimes. But I don't think we should simply ignore the other side of the story. Perhaps there is truth in his claims of being unjustly fired. In reporting police brutality against another officer (and the LAPD has a LONG history of police brutality), Dorner committed what is seen as the ultimate sin: He broke the blue code of silence. It made him a rat; an enemy among officers, who likely wanted him gone. He was fired for supposedly making "false remarks", but we've seen policemen remain on the job or win their jobs back after committing much more egregious acts. I've read no reports of officers being fired for mistaking a 71 and 47 year old Latina for a 270 pound black man--riddling their truck with bullets.

18. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

There's no way this guy is going to be caught. He's flat out stated that he has nothing to live for and no fear of death. He's aiming for "suicide by cop". He wants to be a martyr; it will add to the whole "behold, I am wronged" thing.

That's not to say that the LAPD didn't screw him over; from many accounts that organization is extremely corrupt and I wouldn't put it past them to hang this guy out to dry if he tried to blow the whistle on some stuff. But if that's the case, you go to the media with your evidence (he did send something to Anderson Cooper) and try to move on; you don't start killing people!

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I know CNN was showing some Facebook comments supporting Dorner---not for murdering people but for his contempt for the LAPD. To be sure they have had their problems but his actions are beyond the pale. And those poor women getting shot by police while they were delivering papers -- awful.

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Well the other side of that accusation he brought against his training officer is that she was about to give him a negative review. Then this charge of police brutality was levelled against her. The man is clearly very disturbed, so perhaps there is something more to what has been reported. If he wasn't disturbed and there wasn't more to this story then he would have done what others have done before him. Hire a lawyer and sue for millions.

This article has a picture of the slain Quan and Lawrence.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/lapd-hunt-ex-cop-sought-killings-article-1.1257595

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  21. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

does anyone know what set him off? Apparently he was fired in 2008 so why wait all this time to do his revenge mission? Also - he doesn't apparently have any type of mental health condition.. he is choosing to do this due for revenge - but what set him off now? Just because someone does terrible things doesn't mean they must have a mental health issue.. like many of the people I work with choose to abuse their partners or choose to abuse their children.. To me it sounds like he is indeed preparing for his suicide by cop..

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I read his "manifesto" and apparently there was an officer named Teresa Evans who he accused of kicking a suspect three times in front of Dornan. Apparently he complained about it and nothing ever came of it. He also almost got into a fight with an officer who kept saying the "n" word regarding a suspect. We are only hearing his side of things but it sounds like he kept getting into trouble instead of the people he was reporting. He killed the daughter of the cop or former cop who was his defense council?? at the hearing before the panel who eventually fired him. Rambling is putting it mildly regarding the manifesto. Dornan talks about slights to him when he was a kid. It sounds like he was outgoing and friendly but bottled his rage until now. If I was on his hit list I'd be damned afraid.

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Just to be Devil's Advocate, were there eyewitnesses to see him shoot the people he's accused of shooting?

This whole thing just seems like a frame up and a smokescreen. You have all these officers and there families who are freaked out of their minds, understandably. I wonder what they were investigating when this all started. I bet they are distracted now.

I wonder how CNN is so sure that manifesto came from this person. I hope it's more than the fact that it's signed by him.

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

25. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

LAPD Press Conference imminent....

26. UMBS Go Blue

27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Seems like a really difficult situation, but at least now they have him cornered. Very sad about the loss of lives.

ETA: The latest (7:46 EST) is that the cabin is burning. Police used tear gas, but it's not clear how the cabin caught fire- rather who started the fire- the police or Dorner. This is going to have a tragic end.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hope they capture him alive if only so he could be sent to the gas chamber.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Reports are saying that a charred body was found in what is left of the cabin and is believed to be Dorner, but there has been no confirmation.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I just can't get over how much like a nice guy he looked. He looked like an ideal cop and marine, a poster boy for "Protect and Serve."