Christmas Recipes

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any Christmas recipes they'd like to share?

Particularly looking for vegetarian, snack, and slow cooker recipes, but meat and others would be used too. Healthy is good!

Also, any apple cider recipes? I've got one in the slow cooker as I type, but it's a fake one (apple juice, whole cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon sticks). Any other drinks?

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Good thread! We are hosting our Christmas party this weekend. Maybe I can get something nice off of here. I have nothing to offer, sorry, lol

3. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Not sure how healthy it is, but I love this crockpot stuffing... http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/slow-cooker-stuffing-2/Detail.aspx You can use veggie broth instead of chicken broth to make it totally vegetarian. Oh, and I omitted the eggs, they seemed odd to add to stuffing. :lol:

My favorite recipe in a crockpot is actually ribs - I have a fall off the bone recipe that's absolutely :swoon: I use the cheapest cut of ribs and they're better than you can get in a restaurant.

4. Angelskates

Can you post it? I've never actually eaten ribs.

5. Angelskates

6. missflick

missflick New Member

7. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I love this recipe for special occasions and it is so easy!

2 pounds (910 grams) fresh shrimp (12-15 shrimp per pound)
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) good olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 F. degrees (200-205 c.)
    Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place on a large sheet pan and coat with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
    Roast for 8 to 10 minutes (usually less is better) until shrimp are pink and firm to the touch.

Serve with your favorite cocktail or dipping sauce.

8. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I have a great punch recipe:

1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Ginger Ale
    1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Lemon Sour
    1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Charged (Sparkling) Water (NOT TONIC WATER)
    2 pints Orange Sherbert
    2 pints Pinneaple Sherbert

Make sure the bottles of Ginger Ale, Lemon Sour & Charged Water are very cold. Pour into a punch bowl, then spoon the sherbert on top. I then use the scoop to pour the liquid over the sherbert.

It gets very foamy, but that settles down quickly.

This is a very pretty & refreshing punch.

And for adult parties, you can an a pint of vodka. (or more if you like:summer:)

9. Aimless

Aimless New Member

This is the best little hors d'oeuvre I've ever had. Mouth waters thinking of it.

Brett's Heavenly Little Tarts
    Put an 11 ounce log of plain goat cheese in food processor along with 3 heaping tablespoons of good mango chutney. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides once to fully incorporate the chutney. Then taste and add a judicious additional amount of chutney if needed to achieve a balanced flavor, with neither ingredient dominating. Good, isn't it?

Melt a tablespoon of butter in a small pan and add half a cup of pecans, broken into large pieces with your fingers. Toast the pecans in the butter, watching so that it doesn't scorch, then add half a teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar or honey. Continue toasting until mixture is golden brown and looks and smells good and everything is incorporated.

Phyllo cups are available in frozen foods section of grocery store, under Greek-themed brand names. Sixteen or so in a package? Put them on a small baking sheet and fill each about half way with the goat-mango mixture. Top with pecans.

Place in 350 degree oven for about ten minutes, just to mellow and warm them up. Serve warm or at room temp. This recipe will make about 32. You could bring the cheese mixture and pecans separately in containers, along with the phyllo cups and assemble these on site at a party.

You may have some left over goat-mango mixture. Here's a good thing to do with it. Saute boneless chicken breasts in mixture of butter and olive oil, say five minutes on each side, and get them nicely browned. Then transfer to a broiler pan, smear the top with the goat-mango mixture and run under the broiler, watching carefully, to brown the mixture and finish cooking.

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Easy no-bake cookies: Oatmeal chocolate peanutbutter.

Boil for 2 mins:
    2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 lb. butter, dash of salt.

In a bowl, pour boiled liquid mixture over below ingredients and mix well.
    3 cups oatmeal
    3 tbsp. cocoa
    1/2 cup peanut butter

Spoon a preferred cookie size onto wax paper and cool completely.

Of all the cookies I make for X-Mas, the kids(nieces and nephs) have these gone before anything else.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm adding that to my list of Things I Never Thought I Would Hear Anyone Say. ;) :D

12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Here's a favourite of mine -- so simple, but so effective.

Holiday Pinwheels (aka Grinch Rolls)

1 pkg (170 g) dried cranberries
    1 tub (250 g) spreadable cream cheese, room temp.
    1 cup (250 g) crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 large tortillas (pref. spinach/green)

Combine all ingredients except tortilllas, mix well. Divide and spread mixture evenly among tortillas. Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour. Or freeze. To serve, cut into 12 slices.

Notes: original recipe called for Craisins but I prefer the unsweetened dried cranberries. I also usually reduce the feta to about 2/3 cup, as I find it very salty.

These are quite rich, so a few with some salad or soup makes a good lunch. And of course they're great party appetiezers.

Recipe originally from Ocean Spray.

-------

Do you want any vegetarian entree recipes? The two ones I make every Christmas are vegetarian tourtière (a "meat" pie) and tofurkey.

13. Artemis@BC

But it's goat cheese. Big difference! :D

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

There are dozens and dozens of slow-cooked ribs recipes on the internet. Almost too many.

15. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Hot Holiday punch (made in a perculator) you can double or triple if you have a large urn

For every 10 cups of hot punch:

5 cups Cranberry juice
    5 cups pineapple juice

Put in the well of the perculator

Put the following in the perculator basket:

1/3 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    2 or 3 thin lemon slices with 1-2 whole cloves inserted into the rinds

Perk as you would coffee

16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My favourite slow-cooked ribs recipe is the easiest EVER.

Season the ribs with seasoned salt & pepper. Roast in the oven on a baking sheet for 90 minutes at 200.
    Remove from oven and place in slow cooker. Cover with an entire bottle of your favourite barbecue sauce.
    Cook on low for a few hours (5-6) and you're all set!

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I know. :) It just gave me a chuckle.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:) That is pretty much what I do with slow-cooker ribs. Hmmmm, sounds like the perfect thing to make this Saturday...

19. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:p The 'perfect' recipe is pretty close to Habs. Mine calls for a sweet sliced onion added to the crockpot - they come out so incredibly tender it's to die for.

Now - who has an idea what I can do with 2 sheets of puff pastry? I went on a buying binge at Trader Joe's yesterday. :lol:

20. Artemis@BC

OOh, so many ideas, but my fave:

Blind bake until brown. Top with sliced figs & crumbled goat (goat cheese! LOL). Drizzle with balsamic reduction. Bung under the broiler until the cheese is hot & bubbly. Mmmmm!

Or, if you prefer an "actual recipe" ...

Cranberry Brie Puffs

Half of a 397 mL package frozen puff pastry (1 block)
    1 cup (250 mL) fresh cranberries
    ¼ cup (50 mL) water
    3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
    ¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour, for flouring work surface
    6 oz (175 g) brie, rinds removed, cut into 24 equal pieces

Thaw pastry at room temperature for about 1 hour or until soft enough to roll out.

Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).

Put the cranberries, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, covered, over high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes or until cranberries have popped. Remove lid and stir to mash with a fork. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring with fork, for about 1 minute or until the mixture has thickened and liquid has evaporated. Cool.

Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll out puff pastry into a 12 x 9-inch (30 x 23-cm) rectangle. With a pastry scraper, cut the dough into 24 equal rectangles. Press pastry into mini-muffin pans (you'll need 2 pans with 12 muffin cups each). Divide cooled cranberry mixture among the muffin cups. Put a piece of brie in each muffin cup. Bake puffs for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown. Serve warm.

Serves 6 (makes 24 Puffs)

LCBO, Holiday 2004

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, I see slow-cooked ribs at holiday parties. :). I need to get invited somewhere.

Can you get some brie and wrap the puff pastry around it and bake it in the oven for a few minutes? I love that myself.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

23. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I just saw the equivalent of this in a Crescent Pillsbury Roll recipe on a tv commercial (Food Channel, I think). It looked heavenly.

Does anyone have a good homemade dinner roll recipe? Before she died, mother used to make the best homemade dinner rolls. They were kind of sweet. My dad threw away the recipe when he moved (by accident) and my sister has been trying to recreate it, but with no luck. Baking is not my thing--I have never been good at it. My idea of the perfect Xmas recipe is eggnog poured on top of vanilla ice cream (I don't drink, so no liquor). I can't wait to get a glass!

24. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:swoon: These sound amazing! Think I'll be making them after a run back to Trader Joe's for Brie and fresh cranberries. I've only got dried cranberries here (use it in my oatmeal cookies and apple cake).

I'm going to a cookie party on Sunday. They're getting my famous (in this house :p ) peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies. I'm thinking of wearing a dress, that way I can eat more. :lol:

25. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Look at this nice blog for a detailed recipe for Parker House rolls. http://lookimadethat.com/

26. Artemis@BC

:respec:

27. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

You mother might have made potato rolls. They are a little sweeter than regular Parker House type. You should be able to get a recipe off the internet. My sister makes them & our whole family prefers them to other dinner rolls.

28. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I have a recipe at home for a sweet roll that my Mom used to make for holidays. It was a yeast dough that would rise and she would break it into three little balls per roll, knead them, and place in a greased cupcake pan or cookie sheet, I forget which. But they were absolutely delicious. If I find it later, I will post it here.

I may even surprise her this year and make them myself. I have the recipe, but never made them, and she doesn't do breads anymore.

29. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I'll have to print out that Hot Punch from a Coffee Maker recipe, as it looks pretty easy to do and fool proof. :)

Here's an old Family Recipe that makes never fail Fluffy Biscuits...

Fluffy Biscuits

2 Cups Flour

4 teaspoons Baking Powder

1/2 Cup Shortening

3/4 C Ginger Ale***

Mix all together in a bowl until well combined. Turn out on to floured surface and cut out (We use a tomato paste can and it makes perfectly sized ones). Put on ungreased baking sheet and put into a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes or nicely browned.

***We've used Sprite and 7Up over the years, and while they work, you don't get the flavor that you do w/Canada Dry or Ginger Ale.

Enjoy!! :)

30. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member