Christmas Presents - what did you give and get?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

So here in Australia, it's Boxing Day already, people are out spending money and exchanging and returning things already...

So, what did you give, and what did you get?

I got a snark-free Christmas, probably my most enjoyable ever, relaxed and happy, perfect weather, great food and company.

Present-wise, I got a surfing lesson :lol: (it's a bit away though so it wasn't thought through since I don't have a car, my mum and sister are taking me 1.5 hours to get there and back tomorrow!), lots of craft things (palette knives, sewing needles, a cupcake pin cushion, different scissors for sewing etc.), some gift cards, a "voucher" from my sister to have lunch and visit the Maggie Beer Farm Shop (http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/visit-us - one of my fave places), some 1000 piece puzzles.

I gave my mum a voucher for a plant store at the market and some gardening gloves, my stepdad a Chinese mahjong set, my sister tickets to see Cirque de Soleil (with me on the 28th), my nephew a panda Polaroid camera, my BIL a woopie cushion (a joke, but the most popular present!) and some soda stream gas things, my dad some jelly belly jelly beans.

I had a great day, no fights or anything! Of course, I'm still home until the 3rd, so there's still time!

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

I gave my grandparents some framed graduation photos (that's only taken me what, oh, seven months?). I got my mum some Nora Roberts books because she LOVES Nora Roberts, and I got my dad a nice leather case for his new phone.

I got a rather pretty dress, a calendar (tradition!), Ian Thorpe's book, and a new handbag (score! I needed that!). We didn't have a big Christmas this year; it's been a money tight year.

Between my aunts and uncles though I managed to acquire $80 worth of gift cards, not bad. But no way am I going anywhere near the shops on Boxing Day while I'm still not moving at full speed. I'd be run over.

So I'm indulging in that other Great Australian Tradition - the Boxing Day Test on TV!

3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Adults don't exchange gifts in my family but coworkers gave chocolates, wine and movie passes. Those were nice surprises. This was a very small Christmas - both kids got shoes as their main gift. They seem happy and will use what they got regularly.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I hosted my annual brunch with FSU-provided baked french toast (thanks to FSUer Cupid, who gave me the recipe in 2005 and I've been making it ever since) and had a very good group this year. I gave some Starbucks cards, some local coupon activity books, and had "door prizes" - a bunch small locally made items that I put in one gift bag and had people close their eyes and pull one thing out. I gave necklaces to my nieces, plus individual gifts - a fun travel map where you rub off the gold leaf of places where you've been, a scarf I bought in Paris last year, and some locally crafted fingerless mitten thingies. Sweater for my SIL, book for my brother. Nothing yet for my mom, but I'm getting her a new Kindle for the dreaded Xmas/ Bday combo (I only do this when I'm buying something large, honest!) and bringing it to her in person in 2 weeks. My sis got nothing, but it's because this summer I sent her a HUGE box of items I'd been collecting for her for a long time and she hasn't even opened it yet :rolleyes: + :lol:. We tend to be really erratic with gifts to each other.

My mom gave me a bunch of museum store stuff that I will never use, I got a calendar from a friend who always gives me calendars for reasons I cannot guess, my annual silver bell from my godsister (always a favorite even though I know it's coming), and $$ from my grandmother. And!! A mystery gift! I box arrived last week with no return address or name, from Amazon. I opened it today and it's the John Taylor autobiography!!!!! Which is brilliant - I (not so) secretly wanted it but would never have bought it for myself :rofl: I have a few ideas about who it could be from, but so far no one is owning up to it. SANTA KNOWS.

Anyway, this is the best Christmas I've had in a really long time. I hope everyone else has had a wonderful day! :)

5. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Pretty unremarkable year, giving and getting. I didn't really give out any presents this year because I contributed to a group gift to the whole family (but then my pride smote me so everyone is getting wee gift cards. :p ).

As far as getting, I got...a sweatshirt, socks, candy, a few gift cards, that's pretty much it. The only thing of "note" was a VERY nice battery extender for my iPhone from my brother. It's something I don't NEED or necessarily even WANTED except I've been pestering him to borrow his for a short trip I'm taking (I never travel and I just wanted to BORROW one) and he just went and got me my own. He is a very nice brother. ;)) And the battery pack will last me a long time; it's a very nice one and will come in handy, I'm sure!

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I got a Coach purse (real, but last year's and deeply discounted, but that's OK. It's RED and SPARKLY, and can be used at the holidays for many years), candycandycandy, the new annotated bicentennial Grimm Brothers Fairy Tails, the update for my GPS system, Cards Against Humanity (a game), a Hello Kitty Tervis glass, bubble bath, an Amazon gift card, a hair dye job (already received :cheer2: ), costume jewelry, and new penguin pjs. Weird stuff from my older brother and his family's trip to Ireland--stuff I'm pretty sure came from an Irish-themed gift store in New Orleans. From my aunt and uncle, I got a $25 gift card to Olive Garden and a Christmas ornament that looks like a moose. Doing Christmas with my older sister tomorrow. I only exchange gifts with one friend, and from her I got Ulta nail polishes, Matryeshka measuring cups, a penguin mug, and some earrings. The rest of my friends and I go to dinner at a place slightly better than we can normally afford.

I work for a publishing company, and I get $500 in free books in November that's good for the whole year. This was supposed to be a great savings for me. The books I gave are not what I would normally give friends/family, but, otoh, they're a lot nicer than the presents I would give (these are 30-40 dollar gift books). Unfortunately, I got into the trap of since I got these presents "for free"...I ended up getting additonal presents as well so that everyone would get a nice book and something I know they would like. Which was supposed to be small, but I may have gone a wee overboard. For my younger brother, I gave a book on New Orleans cocktails, a pizza maker, and a mug that shows famous court cases and when hot coffee/tea is poured, the winner is revealed. I gave my dad one of those flyer UFO thingies, Old Spice (given every year), and two YA fantasy books (he is in stage 2 Alzheimer's, and he's able to read still and enjoy them while reading, but he can't remember afterwards what he read, so short YA series are good for him). My mom was the Big Winner--four books, an art project (fleur de lis made up of beer bottle caps from beers manufactured in Louisiana), a robe, and charms for the Brighton bracelet my dad got for her. The charms are from states where close relatives live. I went a little nuts. She's very easy to buy for. (I also ended up returning three things for her :shuffle: ). My older brother, sister, and sister-in-law all got cookbooks and my sister in law also got bubble bath. I gave each of my honorary nephews and nieces books (seven in all). I got my real nephews Game of Thrones, Season one, my step great niece a book, and my nephew's wife a horror movie and popcorn. I gave my aunt and uncle a very nice Texas steakhouse book and some seasonings. (They don't actually cook, but they're like me--they LOVE cooking stuff, especially strange seasonings and sauces). The one friend I exchange gifts with got a nutcracker (tradition) and a New Orleans cocktail book.

7. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

We gave our 2 boys (13, 12 yrs) droid phones and our 2 girls (7, 9 yrs) tablets. I gave hubby Ralph Lauren Romance cologne and he will take me shopping this weekend for new workout clothes. Hello Lululemon, Zella, and Under Armour!

8. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I have my parents old courtship letters from the 1930's. I have scanned them and put them on a disc for my siblings and their children. It make a great, inexpensive, but treasured gift.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

A.H.Black - what a cool gift! Although I shudder to think of modern courtship letters being shared with future generations :scream: :lol:

One of my neighbors came over for a bit after getting home from her family's. She gave me a chai scented hot pat (you stick a hot pot on it and it releases the chai scent - kind of like a simmering potpourri I guess), and a Christmas catnip mouse for my cat. :cat: In return I gave her a candle from my door prize bag, and a glass of Prosecco :)

10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Screen shots of text messages would probably be as good as you'd get! Great present A.H.Black!

11. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Gave: Papillon and The Kennedys on dvd, to my folks. A mix of small fun things and sweets to my best friends Emilia and Marie.

Received: knitted slippers, a loverly Union Flag blanket, a cinema gift card, and a winter jacket that I don't need or have the room for, so that got exchanged for a pair of Converse shoes. Plus a mix of small fun things and sweets from my best friends Emilia and Marie. :)

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For the giving, I went safe and got folks things from their wish lists. I gave my niece in law an Alex & Ani hero bracelet, as she's a hero raising two rambunctious boys in a smallish Brooklyn apartment.

Got an oven safe skillet, bright yellow rain boots, various clothing, books and DVDs, and lots and lots of wine and specialty coffee. Santa was very good to me.

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It might involve a lot of sextings :lol:

14. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Gave: CDs, DVDs, calendars, books, a board game (for husband) and some old bottle openers with brewer/brands on them (for husband).

Got: sewing basket with basic items for mending and minor fixes (my mother wrapped everything separately which gave me way more packages than everyone else and also made my husband, brother and nephew very confused when my first one was a pack of pins); a coffee mug, a ridiculously hard Beatles trivia game, an "antique" book, a couple of sweatshirts, goodies from The Body Shop, some gift cards, and some cash.

15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Gave -- to my husband, two adult children, mom, aunt & uncle various items they wanted/needed on their wish list.

Received: a Cuisinart mixer (so I can make my own gluten free bread/rolls/pastry/pizza doughs), some lavender scented hand lotion (been wishing for some for 3 years), some flavoured tea leaves that get put into an environmentally friendly bag -- all fruit flavoured and they smell wonderful and then some items I picked out so I can cook/bake with utensils that are gluten free; my one sister gave me a Scentsy container with a very nice smelling scent of some sort of berry and vanilla and ??? (I can't remember :( story of my life lately). And the gift to myself from myself -- tickets/hotel to see the Canadian Figure Skating Championship in January of 2013 in Mississauga!!!!

Besides having sick "children" either side of Christmas Day (and lack of sleep), it was a nice day.

16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Having grandchildren makes Christmas so much fun. As usual I bought way too much for them and my kids. Highlights and big hits:

Toy Dyson vaccum cleaner that Santa brought for Grandma's playroom
    Graco twin stroller for dolls - which has been pushed around my son/dil's house almost non-stop.
    Twin dolls (boy and girl just like her siblings) the dolls are even named the same as her brother and sister
    Graco play yard with mobile for the dolls
    Dora "packback" (that's how she says backpack)

Bosch Adjustable Height Toy Workbench
    CAT construction mega blocks table
    Bosch tool box

And the twin babies aren't much into their toys as yet. Mommy and Daddy like the supersize (count 98) size 2 diapers (2 boxes)

My kids got exactly what was on their wish lists, so no surprises there. My mom and dad like to have a donation to Heifer International in their name. This year the donation bought a "gathering basket". My niece and nephew in law got mom and dad a beehive. It's so much fun to see Mom that excited.