Christmas Music for Kids

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'm looking for suggestions for music I can download that's Christmas music appropriate for children (I work with special needs children) but not too babyish.

We love Jack Johnson, and the most played and requested CD we have is the Curious George CD by Jack Johnson. I don't want anything that includes kids singing, because my kids need a clear voice to understand. We also love The Beatles and B.B.King (or maybe that's because my colleague and I get sick of Jack Johnson ;)). We also love good messages in our music ('The Sharing Song', 'The 3 R's' etc.)

Traditional and non-traditional is fine. We're starting "Christmas" essentially on Monday, since we only have a month left before holidays :cheer2: and we want our decorations up to see and appreciate (and watch the cats play with :lol:) for a month.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

3. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

My kids loved anything Raffi.

I hate Mitch Miller, but this CD is supposed to be very good for learning carols--simple, clear arrangements, everything clearly enunciated.

The ones my kids always liked best, though, were some of the A Very Special Christmas CDs and Rock N Roll Christmas, some of which, um, might not quite fit your criteria

4. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. Angelskates

Sadly, this isn't available in Australian iTunes. :( I've never heard of Raffi.

Hmmm, the Mitch Miller one is an option...why don't you like him? I've never heard of him either. :shuffle: I think the A Very Special Christmas ones would work as good background music.

6. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

I loved Raffi when I was a kid! There are plenty of youtube vids.

7. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, my mom bought a cassette of Gene Autry's Christmas album. My sister and I played that thing out. It was made probably in the 50's or 60's, but to me, it's pretty much what defines Christmas music. You could also check out Bing Crosby's Chrismas stuff.

8. Prancer

I just don't like his voice.

* ponders "Christmas in Hollis" as background music*

I put those CDs on when I have the kids clean the house for Christmas. Sometimes they move a little faster.

9. Angelskates

YouTube is blocked here, I do have a VPN but I don't want the kids searching YouTube too much - we watch Madagascar's "I like to Move It, Move It" as a reward because of one YouTube search :lol:

Hmmmm, ok...I need to listen to them rather than just read the song titles!

10. Prancer

:lol: Some of them are very snoozy, but they're all pop/rock style carols and some of them will get your kids moving a little.

11. Angelskates

November's theme is "Competition: working as a team, being a gracious winner and losing with a smile and a handshake." Music to compete to sounds good!

12. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Raffi was born in Egypt and raised in Canada. A generation or so of Canadians have grown up listening to Raffi. Too bad you can't access his music, his children music is very good.