Christmas Movies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by MikiAndoFan#1, Dec 11, 2010.

1. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Since there's a Christmas music thread, I thought it would be nice to have one for the movies. :D Personally, I love watching Miracle on 34th Street, the first two movies of the Home Alone series and Christmas Vacation. Any suggestions? :)
  2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I love both the first two Home Alones and Christmas Vacation. I also watch the Santa Clause every year (only the first one, the other ones are meh).
  3. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Love Actually. (Alan Rickman! :swoon:)
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  4. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

A Christmas Story, the first two in the Home Alone series, Holiday Inn, Elf, Christmas with the Kranks, and Love, Actually. Not movies, but I love A Charlie Brown Christmas and I Want a Dog for Christmas.
  5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Love Actually by far :swoon: I don't regularly like Christmas movies, but I love that one!
    Colin Firth and the yummy Brazilian guy :grope:
  6. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

7. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I'm currently watching It's A Wonderful Life :swoon:. A perfect Christmas movie, IMO.
  8. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Lord of the Rings. It's an annual Christmas marathon for us. :D
  9. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Love Actually, Serendipity, It's A Wonderful Life, Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, White Christmas.
  10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I really luuuuv all the old Andy Williams TV Christmas specials (I'm a child of the late 60's/early 70's.) I have them on DVD, and watch them every December.

The Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn movie, Desk Set, has a scene with a great, really fun-looking office party. Watching it just puts me in a happy mood every time! :D
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The Bishop's Wife (and not the horrid remake)
  12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Its not Christmas unless I watch Meet Me in St Louis and White Christmas.
    :cheer2:
    mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  13. KatieC

KatieC Still jet lagged

The Bells of St. Mary's
    Come to the Stable.
    And It's a Wonderful Life, but that one I watch about every other year.
    Love Actually is so much fun to watch.
    White Christmas and Holiday Inn.
    Beyond Christmas - an obscure little black and white I found on video with Harry Carey, Charles Winniger and C. Aubrey Smith.

I just signed up for free TCM and AMC for three months so I can watch my favourites no longer available on regular channels. I just have to remember to stop it before the March deadline.
  14. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I love The Santa Clause trilogy (even the third one which has its mad cheesy parts :lol: ) and it's not one I watch every year but I do like Elf. :)
    halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  15. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

A Christmas Story
    Miracle on 34th Street (the original)
    It's a Wonderful Life
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
  16. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan

Come to the Stable with Loretta Young and Celeste Holm (not exactly a Christmas movie per se, but very heartwarming and Young and Holm make a pair of glamorous, campy French nuns ;) )

White Christmas.....if anything, just for Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen's costume changes and "Sisters".

And the one that the Fergus family STILL gathers around to watch every year:

The Bishop's Wife!!! Cary Grant is MY idea of a guardian angel. ;) David Niven is perfect and Gladys Cooper makes me cry when Grant visits her and plays the harp.......

........AND it has a figure skating scene with Grant's double knocking off axels! :D
    emason and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Kate Hepburn and Joan Blondell taking the "Mexican Avenue" bus! :lol:
  18. itofan

itofan Member

Scrooged
    The Muppet Christmas Carol
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: A Very Sunny Christmas :lol: so funny!
  19. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Does Black Christmas count? :EVILLE: I do like A Christmas Story and the French film A Christmas Tale. My mother loves to tell me about all the Christmas movies on Lifetime and Hallmark that I should watch, which is not going to happen.
  20. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

We can't start the Christmas movie-watching season without putting on "Scrooge", the Alistair Sim one. We watch the colorized version but the B/W is really just as good.

Not mentioned here is "Pocketfull of Miracles". Glenn Ford, Hope Lange, Bette Davis (one of her best perfomances IMO) & Ann Margaret (before she fell off the stage & broke her face...she is breathtakingly beautiful), plus a very funny Peter Falk & Edward Everett Horton, & a lot of great supporting people. One of our favorites.
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

The Family Stone, while not a traditional Christmas movie, is a Christmas movie. And as ridiculous as it is, I love it.
  22. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Another vote for Come to the Stable; it doesn't get shown nearly often enough.
  24. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Best Christmas Pageant Ever is one of my faves.
  25. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

I love it too. My mom and I watch it every year and :wuzrobbed
  26. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

It's a Wonderful Life - for sure.
    And - I always have a craving this time of year to watch Anne of Green Gables.
    In fact - I may just do that tonight! :)
  27. Orable

Orable New Member

Love Actually, Anne of Green Gables and C.R.A.Z.Y.
  28. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Lol! That's a great scene. I also enjoy seeing Spencer Tracy play the bongos, while Katherine sings Night and Day... :) :)
  29. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I like most of the movies mentioned here! I'll also add The Family Stone :cheer2:
  30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Barbara has two other holiday movies I lurve, Remember the Night with Fred MacMurray and My Reputation with Eve Arden. The latter isn't a holiday movie per se, but the last half takes place over Xmas and New Years. The former has a sparkling script by Preston Sturges too!

I for one, actually like The Preacher's Wife. Whitney was starting to show some improvement as an actress and I lurve Denzel and Courtney Vance in it as well. Maybe 'cause I couldn't stand Loretta Young, the remake doesn't bother me so much.

And my personal holiday fave is The Family Stone. One of SJPs best movies ever. Love Diane Keaton in it. It's sad but uplifting at the same time. And wickedly funny.
  31. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Count me in for Muppet Christmas Carol, Love Actually, and A Christmas Story as perennial favourites. I've only seen The Family Stone once but I might watch it again this year. Also Elf.

I recently saw a new one from a couple of years go, The Christmas Cottage. I comes across more like a made-for-TV movie even though it wasn't. I'm a certified Christmas sap so I enjoyed it somewhat just for its sentiment, but if I'd watched it at any other time of year I'm not sure I would have been so tolerant. (Mostly I wanted to see it because a. Peter O'Toole and b. it was filmed locally and I know a couple of people who were involved in the production, AND my uncle's house was in it!)

Slightly OT but ... a local theatre company (Arts Club) is doing stage versions of White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life again this year. I've seen them both before, but they're part of my season's ticket so I'll be seeing them again. The only downside is that then I'm not in the mood to see the movies that year!