Christina Aguilera New Video

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by UGG, May 5, 2010.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I think Christina Aguilera has great vocal ability, but she uses too much melisma and is usually definitely not one for subtlety. I definitely prefer her to most pop stars today and I liked this performance of hers:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KEAD2dzDRE, but I do wish she'd reduce the melisma.

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I'd like that video better if she were feeling more like this in it.

3. nalgene

nalgene New Member

Did anyone catch Christina on Letterman? What a performance!

4. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Every single one of these little video popper diva's owes their success to Madonna, Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul!

5. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Thats straight up giving Paula too much credit. :scream:

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  6. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

No I don't think so, I am not talking about singing talent I am talking performance talent.

Madonna, Janet and Paula were masters at the performance part of singing! Christina is a fantabulous singer but that's where it ends.

I would rather have a great performer than singer for the most part.

7. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Madonna and Janet are amazing performers, but I never though Paula was an especially powerful performer. She's a great dancer, but I don't think she has the charisma of the other two.

However, as much as Christina's melisma can annoy me, I enjoy watching her equally to Madonna and Janet. While Christina might not be as great a performer as Madonna or Janet, they don't have the voice that Christina does, so it's all equal to me.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What a shame that Christina's "Bionic" album is a flop. :p

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What an amazing voice. Gaga does not even come close.

10. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

She has a simulated orgy in a church like setting in her video, which I find to be completely disrespectful. Just because you disagree with a religion doesn't mean you have to resort to stunts like that. Yes she has every right to do whatever she wants, but I also have the right to find it offensive. But hey at least she doesn't kill people like Lady Gaga does in her videos.

Some of these videos get worse and worse. I remember when Britney's videos were shocking to some and now you have videos like Lady Gaga where she represents sex as violence and power. Where do you go from there? There's mass murder in her videos. It's disturbing. Not only that but the upside down crosses in Lady Gaga's videos and the illuminati type images are obvious she is just trying to get attention.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Well, yes. The point is to get attention. Clearly, they all succeeded.

They certainly aren't the first to do this. Christina's video has nothing on Madonna's Like A Prayer, which made far more of an impact and will be remembered in a way this video won't. And sex can contain violence and power. Sex has many different facets. That's just one of them.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So I've listened to the whole "Bionic" album yesterday and it's so shockingly bad it diefies belief.

The psychocybervixen theme throughout is just desperate and the lyrics are unbelieviably vapid.

I literally cringed when she sang:
    :wall:

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So now "Bionic" has bombed both in the US (for her previous standards) and in the UK where it has just fallen from number 1 to number 29 on the Album Charts.

The biggest drop of a number one album ever and it was also the lowest selling album ever to make it to number one.

14. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Wow :( such a shame considering her vocal talent

15. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

I dislike Not Myself Tonight and hate Woohoo. I heard her new single is "You Lost Me," which is a ballad. It's pretty, but it just seems like a cop-out. It's like they're taking the Dirrty/Beautiful route to save the album. Unfortunately, I think "You Lost Me" is way too slow and will be a dud on the radio.

I've only heard one other song, which is "Bionic." I actually really like that one, and I wish that she had released that one first.

16. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Yes, Bionic was not her best work. It wasn't like it was a bad album - OK, Woohoo and the song where she talks about loving herself were pretty bad. It's just that it was recycled from everything that Rihanna, Gaga, Britney and Katy Perry have done the past three years. We heard it before. I for one expected better from Christina.

Yeah, Bionic was the best song on the album. It should have been the first single.

You are spot on. I kind of laugh when I look back and think about how controversial Britney/Christina's music videos and performances were back in the day. We're bored with sexuality. It's not shocking, its not controversial. So, naturally the next step is to tackle violence, the morbid, the abominations.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  17. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

So, I guess X-Tina's latest is a flop(sorta like a floppy penis that doesn't work) in all senses of the word. The album has dropped to #9 with only 40,000 units shipped this last week and all 3 of her singles have fallen off the Hot 100 chart. Woo-Hoo was especially bad IMO, referring to her lady parts as her 'Woo-hoo' comes across as childish and about as far from sexy as you can get. Only 'I'm not Myself Tonight' seems to be getting moderate club play, but I am sure that is nearly over as well.

Doesn't she have a child now? I am not saying she should totally stop trying to be sexy or shave her head and wear buddhist get up, but she could at least try to show a more mature side to her music and recognize that she is growing up and not try to cling to her former sex symbol status with her chipped drag-queen nails.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's a complete flop. Looks like she has cancelled the world tour too now.

19. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I don't understand how she could dedicate the album to her son and at the same time have a song about her "woo-hoo" on the album.

Does she have anything else to talk about besides the fact that women should not be called ho's if they sleep around, and that women should feel empowered by their sexuality? Has she not looked around and seen everyone dressing like a big old ho these days? Seems to be everyone from the age of 14 on is very comfortable being sexual. Its 2010 not 1955. She needs to talk about something else. There are women in other countires who are thrown in jail because a family member raped them. How about talk about that instead of the fact that their is a double standard and you are called a ho just because you hump your dancers leg and wear but-less chaps. who cares?

And some of the songs are embarrassing. I thought NMT was bad but then I heard Glam, Vanity, and Boys Boys Boys (or something like that, forget the name). Wow they are horrible and I cannot believe she would sing them.

I liked Back to Basics (even though it was really not 20's 30's and 40's) but she is really coming off as an idiot lately. As a women in my early 30's she is completely unrelateable. She acts like she is the only woman who enjoys sex and to be honest, I dont care what she does in her bathtub with her racey novel or how she spends her sundays screwing her husband. NEXT.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  20. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

meh. She is not as loud and does not do the vocal riffs, runs, and growls, but she has a beautiful singing voice-its very broadway sounding.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Every artist with a long career experienced a few flops along the way. She and her team just need to regroup, analyze what went wrong and determine what the next album will sound like. In the grand scheme of thing, one high-profile flop isn't going to immediately spell the end of her career.

22. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I believe she is an very talented singer and there IMO hasn't been a pop music singer with such a full voice and vocal range since Annie Lennox. Having said that X-Tina's content is wretched and her producers should have known better than to have attempted to best Gaga on her own ground. Even the ballads Bionic seemed flat and uninspired compared to say Beautiful from a few years back.

23. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I think she needs to lose the whole "different character/persona" with each album and stay with a signature sound and look, with maybe some experimental tracks on each album. She tries to hard to do the reinvention thing-none of it seems natural. She is going to run out of people to pay homage to. She just needs to be herself. During Stripped, she was a 21 year old who was insecure and liked to par-tay and I believe it was a true reflection of who she was at that time and it was a totally successful era and many people her age could relate to her. Now she just tries to hard to find a character to become.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What's extremely annoying is that she has had AMAZING collaborators working with her on the album. She's had the opportunity to make something very daring and special. But it turned out totally bland.

Andy Gill has hit the nail on the head: