Christenings and Weddings and Jubliees Oh My!! ~ Royalty thread #3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yes, Herbert "Lights" Lightoller. ;) (He never went by Charles; had a ne're-do-well cousin by that name.) Titanic was really one of the LESS interesting things he ever did, and I'd argue that the most heroic thing was loading up Sundowner (which is really meant to take like 20 people tops) with over a hundred soldiers. Legend has it (though both his biographer and Walter Lord repeat it) that one Tommy aboard heard their skipper was on the Titanic and thought about jumping, and someone else pointed out "If he could survive that, he could survive anything!"

There was an article linked from the C.H. Lightoller Appreciation Page on Facebook (um...I'm kind of a Titanorak. And Lights is my particular area of interest.) Had a picture of Sundowner and comments from another owner of a "little ship" from Dunkirk on how potentially tricky the 'parade' was going to be.

I am going to have to google pictures of the war canoe! I've seen one in New Zealand, but that was just on display. Paddling down the Thames would be a sight to see!

2. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Heads up for Canadians, if you have BBC Canada, they have extensive coverage of the church service tomorrow and a few special programs throughout the day such as newsreel footage of the Coronation and "All the Queen's Horses" which is the Windsor Horse show.
    The church service repeats at 6pm eastern on BBC Canada.

3. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

SHARPIE and (deleted member) like this.
  4. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm a fellow Titanic-ophile, so you're preaching to the Choir here. ;) :D Still can't believe none of the Cdn commentators mentioned that though.

It was pretty impressive. I'd even swear during the time they were shown that they were doing a Haka in the canoe. I'd have to see it again, but I could almost swear that's what they were doing.

THANK YOU!!! Got it good to go in the other room.

And now...I'm off to try and catch a quick nap before the festivities begin. :D

6. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Aw bless her walking up the aisle on her own ((Queen))

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm behind on the coverage snce I just got up and am watching my tivo coverage, so I appreciate all the current reports. I'm happy just thinking Floskate is there taking it all in in person :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  8. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

9. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

She's a grand old dame! Three cheers for Her Majesty! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

You could see it in her eyes that she's getting tired, it's been a long, wonderful, and stressful weekend for her, I'm sure.

Kate looks gorgeous in pale pink (or beige?) lace. :swoon:

10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

If anyone finds youtube links of the carriage procession, please post them. I'm going to be at work, with no access to watch it. :(

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

And WELL DONE to Telegraph.co.uk and all the other British news services who have provided NON-geoblocked online feeds. :respec:

12. matti

matti Active Member

Vivat Regina Elizabetha! :swoon::respec::cool::inavoid::cheer2:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  13. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Poor Harry looks like a spare cog holding up the rear all by himself walking out of the Guild Hall :) He did in the Abbey as well - but Wills kept turning to talk to him at the end of the walk back up the aisle!! At least he gets to share the carriage with Will and Kate!!

ETA: The Princes all look dapper in their morning coats and top hats, and all 3 ladies look just lovely. It appears to be drizzling but Lizzie has kept the hoods down - turning down the Australian Coach that has central heating !!

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Would someone who captured the Service of Thanksgiving be willing to share it with me?
    All expenses covered, of course.

15. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a hard color to describe... so how about pinkish-beige? Some articles are calling it "nude" and I don't think that accurately describes it either. But yes, she looks fabulous! And there is no baby bump whatsoever. So if she is pregnant (which I doubt), it just barely happened.

I'm also interested to see Princess Eugenie's outfit from the front without her hands hiding part of it. Love the color of it and the hat, regardless.

16. skatesindreams

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

18. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Down comes the rain - but nothing is dampening the spirits of the crowds as they wait for the royal family to come out on the balcony and then the fly past!!

19. SHARPIE

Frigging awesome Fly past! :cheer2:

The crowds singing 'God Save The Queen' are ALMOST (I said ALMOST!) making me tear up !

20. SHARPIE

LOL Kate always looks like she's having a cheeky flirt with Harry

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I think she has a crush on him. :lol: I'll bet they would've made a good couple.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Harry would be a great brother in law, and will be an awesome uncle I think :)

23. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

24. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

A great big THANK YOU! to BBC Canada for providing the BBC 1 coverage to those of us in Canada. It's too bad that Rogers hasn't yet provided the BBC Canada to us in HD though. For the actual Service of Thanksgiving, where there was no commentary, I switched over to CBC for the HD images, but then quickly returned to BBC.

Having been in London recently and having seen the preparations underway around the Victoria Memorial, it was great to see how it had all come together. I look forward to hearing floskate's full report :)

25. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Does she ever ;).

Kate looked absolutely amazing today - in fact she has done all weekend and there is no doubt that she is going to be doing more and more as a member of the Royal Family going forwards.

But in the end there was only one star this weekend and that was HM - her outfit today was another gorgeous ensemble and she looked very happy out there on the balcony. Loved and she looked over to see the guardsmen taking up their positions for their final set piece - she just loves all that stuff.

The fly past was magnificent - loved the old WWII planes and especially loved the red-arrows at the end streaming out the red, white and blue plumes of colour.

Well done to all for the amazing work and planning that went into this weekends festivities - it all went off fantastic and everyone loomed as if they were having an amazing time - made me very proud to be British.

SHARPIE and (deleted member) like this.
  26. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Probably.:lol:

27. skatesindreams

The only outfit I really didn't care for today was Princess Beatrice's.
    The striped skirt seemed "informal" for the occasion.

28. SHARPIE

Aw! Nice thankyou from Queenie :D

No, thank YOU !

Wonder how involved she will be in the Olympics .....

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's the Queen's message on youtube - love it!

Now, royal watchers, tell me whose wedding photo that is behind her, next to the lovely portrait of Will and Kate?

30. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:cheer2: for Her Majesty!

I'm sad because we were planning on going to London this May or June. I had a baby instead. :rofl: Kid, you ruined my planned vacation!

I forgot to record BBC America to see some of this. Bah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.