Christenings and Weddings and Jubliees Oh My!! ~ Royalty thread #3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I think she has a crush on him. :lol: I'll bet they would've made a good couple.
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Harry would be a great brother in law, and will be an awesome uncle I think :)
  3. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

4. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

A great big THANK YOU! to BBC Canada for providing the BBC 1 coverage to those of us in Canada. It's too bad that Rogers hasn't yet provided the BBC Canada to us in HD though. For the actual Service of Thanksgiving, where there was no commentary, I switched over to CBC for the HD images, but then quickly returned to BBC.

Having been in London recently and having seen the preparations underway around the Victoria Memorial, it was great to see how it had all come together. I look forward to hearing floskate's full report :)
  5. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Does she ever ;).

Kate looked absolutely amazing today - in fact she has done all weekend and there is no doubt that she is going to be doing more and more as a member of the Royal Family going forwards.

But in the end there was only one star this weekend and that was HM - her outfit today was another gorgeous ensemble and she looked very happy out there on the balcony. Loved and she looked over to see the guardsmen taking up their positions for their final set piece - she just loves all that stuff.

The fly past was magnificent - loved the old WWII planes and especially loved the red-arrows at the end streaming out the red, white and blue plumes of colour.

Well done to all for the amazing work and planning that went into this weekends festivities - it all went off fantastic and everyone loomed as if they were having an amazing time - made me very proud to be British.
    SHARPIE and (deleted member) like this.
  6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Probably.:lol:
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The only outfit I really didn't care for today was Princess Beatrice's.
    The striped skirt seemed "informal" for the occasion.
  8. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Aw! Nice thankyou from Queenie :D

No, thank YOU !

Wonder how involved she will be in the Olympics .....
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's the Queen's message on youtube - love it!

Now, royal watchers, tell me whose wedding photo that is behind her, next to the lovely portrait of Will and Kate?
  10. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:cheer2: for Her Majesty!

I'm sad because we were planning on going to London this May or June. I had a baby instead. :rofl: Kid, you ruined my planned vacation!

I forgot to record BBC America to see some of this. Bah.
  11. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Edward & Sophie Wessex?
  12. nerdycool

Yep, I believe so. I don't have much time to search for that exact pic, but here's one where you can see how the flower girls (bridesmaids?) dresses look the same, as well as the mother of the bride dress is the same color.
  13. skatesindreams

Could someone identify the brooches HM is wearing?
  14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes I think that's it - makes sense really, the only successful (first) marriages among her offspring!

And congratulations Lanie - your baby is named Elizabeth of course? ;)
  15. floskate

floskate Vacant

Just back at the hotel now. Mr Flo and I are drenched, exhausted but on a high from witnessing our country's history first hand. Will write much more detail tomorrow but What an incredible occasion!!
  16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Can't wait for your voids report!!
  17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

:cheers: Floskate! I was thinking of you and Mr. Floskate this morning.
  18. skatesindreams

I was thinking of you both all day!
  19. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

20. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Don't forget USA peoples: The Diamond Jubilee Concert kicks off at 9pm on ABC! :watch:
  21. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I wonder if any of the networks will provide any of this coverage on DVD like BBC or BBC Canada? I'd totally buy it, I just haven't had an opportunity to watch any of the coverage due to work and the time difference.

If anyone finds out if BBC has any coverage of making any DVD's of this fabulous, festive occasion, please do let me know, or any other network for that matter!

I saw a small vignette on the local news this evening and wow, the woman just exudes radiance :swoon: She has been so amazing in her six decades of service. She keeps going, but she really is dedicated to the service of her country. I wish her all the success and hapiness in the world.

Can Catherine get any more perfect too? :swoon: I have never seen her not look amazing and stunning at the same time.

Here here to the Queen! Long may she reign over us!
  22. KatieC

KatieC On hold

Harry and Sophie seem to be enjoying themselves. I was up dancing around to Tom Jones. :)
  23. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I wonder if William was feeling a little out of sorts this weekend? He seemed a bit distant during the boat flotilla, standing off by himself a few times, and after the Church service Kate and Harry were very chatty and animated while William seemed quiet and pensive. I do hope he's feeling okay.
  24. Alixana

Watching the CBC version of the concert .. Tom Jones is amazing!!!
    SHARPIE and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm watching some of the tivo'd video from today, and I'm just tuned into the part with the crowd marching behind the police to Buckingham Palace, and it's really an amazing site and very touching. To have such a big crowd walking up in such an orderly fashion and all so happy was very impressive.

This great show of pageantry during the last few days has made me even more excited for London's Olympics. :cheer:
  26. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Who can't help but think of Bobrova/Soloviev's SD right now? :lol:

And yes, definitely looking forward to the Olympic ceremonies. :cheer2:
  27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

they give good pageantry, that's for sure
  28. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

He had military duty through Saturday and his duty is typically 24 hr shifts. Additionally, he is much more introverted than his brother so events like this likely tire him out a lot. All of that considered, I assumed he is just tired. Especially by this afternoon with the late night yesterday (remember the grandkids --minus Lady Louise and James of course--hosted a party after the concert) and presumably an early alarm today.

He also had to view this all in a different light than Harry would, as well. This will be his life and his job one day. That is probably a daunting thing to think about.
  29. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

And the past few days have really put an emphasis on the "heir" and the "heir's heir" to show that the future of the monarchy is secure.

There's also the small matter of his grandfather being hospitalized too. I suspect William is under pressure to increase his royal duties.
  30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Watching the US broadcast of highlights from the concert, and can they please make Katie Couric go away?

And did they show Edward nodding off during the Tom Jones segment? And if you'd asked me decades ago whether I thought Tom Jones could still carry a song like that in 2012, I'd have thought you were kidding, but he's putting on a good show and looks great.
  31. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll be surprised if there's any extra tour of duty for William at this point.
  32. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

And it seems that if the choice were his alone, he would continue in the RAF. As much as it is tempting to envy the glamor of their lives, it really isn't all that great. He has never had a real choice about what to do with his life, after all.
  33. nerdycool

Too true. As much as I'd like to own all their jewels and live the fancy life, I realize I am probably one of the least-suitable people to live that public life. Just like to be in the background more. So it's probably a good thing I didn't marry William like I thought I would back when I was a teenager. :)

I imagine William has a somewhat similar personality, so I feel for him.
  34. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

I enjoyed what ABC decided to show of the concert,esp Madness on the roof of BP and the light show on the front of the palace. Not so sure about Kylie's song choice. She told the queen she wanted to F. U. N. K. her. :shuffle: :rolleyes:

The lineup at the end was odd. The Queen, Camilla, Paul McCarntney, Elton John, standing as if in a row with Paul trying not to hit anyone with his guitar.

Is this the first time Charles has called the queen 'Mummy' in public? The crowd seemed to love it.

It looked like a hell of a party!
  35. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

(((Loving all the Tom Jones love!)))

I took my late mother to see him at Cardiff Castle in 2001. An experience I will NEVER forget
  36. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

If anyone remembers ... who was the man who was walking next to the Queen when she came out onto the stage, and who was the woman in white directly behind them?
  37. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm so glad the Diamond Jubilee concert was aired in the US. Tom Jones still looked and sounded great (I figured he probably wasn't going to sing "Sex Bomb", :lol:). Loved the light show, the fireworks to all the classical music. I teared up when the crowd sang "God Save the Queen." I do hope that Prince Philip will be OK.
  38. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I loved it! Charles has really come a long way in recent years.

Agree also with PDilemma that William might have had a bit more on his mind this week than the others. Charles has been working toward this role his whole life, but it may only be becoming real for William now. He looked like he was having fun throughout the events, but I did notice those moments of apparent reflection on the Thames as well.
  39. Alixana

Gary Barlow and Kylie Minogue
  40. Alixana

I saw him in Toronto many years ago. The venue wasn't nearly as fabulous as a castle but Tom was incredible. I don't think he's lost a step vocally. (Certainly put Paul McCartney to shame last night :slinkaway )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.