Christenings and Weddings and Jubliees Oh My!! ~ Royalty thread #3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd start a new thread for all of us.

Charles and Camilla are now in Canada. They'll be in Toronto tonight for the Victoria Day festivities and fireworks.

Tomorrow is Princess Estelle's big day and there were two new official pictures released on Friday. I need to see if I can find them again to share here, as she now looks like she's got some personality and doesn't look like every other baby does.

I can also really see her Daddy in her face now too.

Anyway...Here's the new Royalty chitter chatter home on FSU. :)

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

3. AragornElessar

Those are the ones I was talking about. Thanks skatesindreams!!

Hello ~ Danish princess' name revealed at beautiful family baptism

Would have loved to have seen a picture of this...

Kids will be kids. :D

4. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

5. AragornElessar

This is interesting...

Hello ~ Princess Madeleine's financier love poised for royal debut

*Very* interesting.

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Christening pictures... and here are the royal significant others ;).

Princess Estelle behaved beautifully and looked very cute. The godparents are reportedly Crown Princess Mary, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Carl-Philip and Anna Westling Söderström (Daniel's sister).

I don't approve of Maxima's red turban, while Mary looked chic as usual.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  7. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea it was to be a mini-royal event!

8. skatesindreams

Thank you!
    HRH Princess Estelle, and all the "principals" , looked wonderful.

9. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Non-geoblocked video from Swedish tv. :)

HRH let out a couple little baby grunts when Victoria handed her over to the priest. :lol: Too cute. ;)

10. AragornElessar

Thanks to one and all for all of the links of Her little Royal Highness' big day today.

I'm okay w/Maxima and her turbans. She tends to break them out for big occasions when she's not the main focus of things, which makes me love her all the more. She wore one for Wills and Kate's Wedding Day and for something else big that didn't have anything to do w/the Dutch Royal Family, but I can't remember what. Love her for that.

So...The wondering and hunches that the "Mary" in HRH's name was for Crown Princess Mary seems to be right. She looked lovely, but she generally does, so... :)

For those not hockey fans or Canadians...On Hockey Night in Canada during the first intermission there's a piece called Coaches Corner w/Don Cherry who was the Head Coach of the Boston Bruins during the Bobby Orr years. You either love or hate Grapes, but we love him. Anyway...

Last night, Don showed something that literally made me whimper and then turn bright green in envy. He brought on an heirloom of his Family. His Grandmother had brought it to Canada w/her from Scotland. What was it?

A gorgeous silver platter that celebrated Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubliee. In pristine condition I might add.

He just wanted to show something to bring up our present Queen's Diamond Jubliee and then also welcome Charles and Camilla to Canada. He did that, but I'm betting every other Monarchist watching in Canada were also whimpering and then turning green right along w/me at that moment last night.

Tempted to write and ask him if none of his kids are interested in it, I know where it would have a very lovely and respected in home for the future.

Maybe not, but...Awfully tempted. ;)

11. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Oh, little Estelle is just precious!

12. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Little Estelle looks like a baby doll in some of the pictures. I adore the one she yawns at! Too cute.

Does anyone here know why some of the men are in uniform and others aren't?
    And the text listed Daniel as Crown Prince. Did he actually become Crown Prince? Somehow I had thought he had "just" become a prince.

13. AragornElessar

Was just coming to share the link to that picture at Daylife w/those who haven't seen it yet.

It's just *so* tiring being the star of the show

I was wondering that one myself. Along w/where was Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway? Thought it was odd that Haakon was there and she wasn't, especially as Victoria is one of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's Godparents. One person who did attend and I'm guessing this is her first major Royal event appearance was Hereditary Grand Duke Guilliame of Luxembourg's fiancee. I was shocked by the amount of Royals who were invited and attended, as I had no idea little Estelle's Christening would end up being such a huge occasion.

Then again, the Swedish Royal Family seem to be very close w/the other RFs. Just sad that once again there was no one there from the Windsors. It would have been nice to see Sophie and Edward there, as they were at the Wedding. Anyway...Not that big a surprise there wasn't someone from the British RF there. Just saying it's sad the others were there and...Yeah.

AFAIK Daniel's full title is HRH Prince Daniel of Sweden, Duke of Vasgotland. I know there's a good chance I've got the place name of Victoria's Duchess-dom wrong, but I think it's close. He is not Crown Prince and will not have the title of King when Victoria ascends the throne someday. He'll have the same title as Prince Phillip does, which is Prince Consort.

Hope that clears things up a wee bit for you. :)

In other Royal news...A bit of history took place in Toronto today. Camilla officially became the Honourary Colonel in Chief of The Queen's Own Rifles Regiment and as part of the ceremony at their headquarters, their new CiC spoke to her Regiment. What's the big deal about that? Oh, it was only Camilla's first speech outside of the UK.

Would have loved to have watched the Ceremony at Old Fort York earlier this evening to mark the 100th Anniversary of the War of 1812 and Military Muster, but none of the news networks carried the entire thing. Just showed bits and pieces here and there during their "coverage" of the event.

I love that kind of stuff, plus it's History, so I wish it had been shown properly, but...Oh well!!

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

15. ballettmaus

Maybe she was in the crowd somewhere? Was Crown Prince Frederick there? I only saw pictures of Crown Princess Mary with Crown Prince Alexander and Haakon.
    Do you know if Mary and Alexander are Godparents? Just wondering because they were in a group shot with Victoria and Daniel and the King and Queen and without their significant others.

Yes, thanks. It's what I thought so the mentioning of Crown Prince Daniel confused me. But then, one of the photos also listed Princess Estelle as being in the picture twice...

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Crown Prince Frederik was there - sitting next to Princess Maxima and her red turban. The godparents sat on the other side: they indeed include Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, as well as Crown Prince Haakon, Prince Carl-Philip, and Anna Westling Söderström (the princess's paternal aunt).

I did not see CP Mette-Marit anywhere, including in the arrival shots. I don't think she was there, for whatever reason. And there were also no Spanish royals, as far as I could tell.

17. nerdycool

I wouldn't put too much stock into the titles put in the photo sites. The ones that bug me the most is when they attach titles to Princess Caroline of Monaco/Hanover's 3 eldest children. Yes, they are very high in the line of succession in Monaco, and yes, their mother is a Princess, but that doesn't mean they've been granted titles.

Anyway, I very much doubt Prince Daniel has been made Crown Prince Daniel, as it implies that HE is the heir to the throne, and not his wife.

18. skatesindreams

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Can't say I love the flower brooch. :shuffle:

21. skatesindreams

It's certainly much more "contemporary" than what she usually wears.

22. nerdycool

Can't say I love it either. But it's 500x better than the "hat" she wore when she received it!

23. skatesindreams

She usually wears that sort of headpiece when she attends the Garden show.
    (To keep her hair in place when out in the open)?

24. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Exactly - Chelsea is renound for windy days so the Queen has worn these headpieces to maintain her hair and without the necessity of wearing a hat that could blow off. Of course Monday was relatively wind free day but I guess the Queen decided to go ahead and wear the headpiece. She wore one last year as well.

25. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

This latest one looks as if it has little diamonds in the bows. (Or am I just so Diamond Jubilee insane that I'm making this up? :lol: )

26. nerdycool

Still ugly :)

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Well now I want that, and half the other stuff on that site, dammit :lol: Have you ordered from them? Overseas shipping costs reasonable?

My local tea purveyor had a Royal Wedding blend last year. The shopkeeper confessed she just made it up, but I bought it anyway. What else was I going to drink in this after all? :)

28. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Reading the story of Princess Estelle's Christening, they said no one from the British royal family was there. Why not? They couldn't spare one or two people to go to Sweden for one day? No Edward or Sophie? Or even Beatrice and/or Eugenie? I'd say Catherine, but she's not done a major diplomatic run all by her lonesome so not yet for her. I know it's the Queen's Jubilee, but are they really all that booked for time?

29. ballettmaus

The question is if it's really about "being booked". Wasn't it Victoria's wedding that Harry and William didn't attend because they were at the Soccer World Cup in South Africa? That sort of thing makes me wonder if the Swedish and British Royals might not have the best of relationships...

30. nerdycool

Was anyone from the BRF even invited? The Scandanavian royal families tend to group together for events, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

But as for CP's wedding, I was always under the impression that William and Harry didn't go mainly because they didn't fulfill official duties like that. Now they're getting to a point where they'll be expected to do weddings and funerals and other official business, but then? Nope. William is also the President of The Football Association in England, so I'm thinking he went to South Africa in that capacity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.