Choreo Step Sequence

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Sk8ing Wizard, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Sk8ing Wizard

Sk8ing Wizard New Member

Can anyone explain to me the difference between a Leveled Step Sequence (the one with levels and features) and a Choreo Step Sequence? How do you know which you're doing? I know they have to be in IJS, but I really don't understand the difference

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

The Leveled step sequence have particular steps you need to do in order for it to achieve levels. So doing choctaws, rockers, multi-directional skating and things on one foot will get you a higher level than just doing mohawks and 3-turns.

The Choreo Steps can basically be any steps which have to be recognised by the technical panel to be called. So it would need to be a full straight line step sequence or full circle to actually get the element called as Choreo Steps. It will still be given a base value that the judges mark but they will not get it called as any particular level.

In a senior freeskate, only one of step sequences will be recognised as leveled, the other step sequence will be recognised as just a step sequence. And it will usually be the first step sequence that will be the leveled one.

Judges are just evaluating the quality of the element. They are not evaluating the difficulty of the steps but how well they are done.

I hope that explains it.

3. Sk8ing Wizard

Sk8ing Wizard New Member

That did help a lot. Thank you. And I'm assuming it's the same thing for the Spiral sequences?

4. Aussie Willy

There are basic requirements for it to be called as a spiral sequence, such as being held for a certain length of time and how many spirals they have to do, but they don't have to get themselves into difficult positions to achieve a level. Again the judges evaluate the quality of the element.

From a judging point of view, I am so glad they got rid of leveled spirals. When I judged a lower level event last year with about 30 skaters, it got boring seeing the same thing over and over again. You generally had a forward outside to inside spiral, followed by a back outside spiral done on the other foot.

5. Sk8ing Wizard

Sk8ing Wizard New Member

Oh, I didn't know they got rid of the leveled spirals. (Kinda behind the times here, as I'm not competing at IJS levels here yet.) Thank you so much

6. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

are level step sequences not done in adult competitions now? worked hard to try and get level 2 step sequence with loops, rockers and counters! for next season, has this been a waste of time? would i get as many marks for lots of 3 turns, mowhawks and toe steps? ha ha, ..... anything to make it easier!

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Your GOE would likely be higher with a more difficult sequence, so I doubt it's a waste of time.

8. Aussie Willy

With regards Choreo Steps, the judges are really only marking quality, not content. Now you can probably do simpler steps but if they are well done and fit with the music, you can still get a higher GOE.

Because even doing harder steps that might have given a skater a level 2, if they are not done well, the judges are going to go down on the GOE.

9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

What country are you in? In the US, this year, levels were given at AN for step sequences. Who knows about next year.

10. Sk8ing Wizard

Sk8ing Wizard New Member

The reason I brought this is up is because I have heard rumors that they are taking juv, and intermediate leveled steps away and replacing them with the choreo, having levels only for novice, junior, and senior. I am not informed as to any adult levels though.

11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I heard that rumor about adults at AN too.

12. Aussie Willy

That has happened in Australia for the divisions that don't compete under International rules (Sen, Jun & Nov). This includes adult divisions too.