Chinese skating updates and reports

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jjane45, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

The Chinese heritage in me also thinks Yan has graduated to senior ranks and so the question is really whether he should go to worlds.

That said I also get the thinking about maxing your skaters' competing opportunities by sending age eligible skaters to jr comps.

Anyway, I always ge tthe sense that team China operates on a shoestring, so skaters have to prove themselves to get comps and perks.
    Whether they really have no money or they are just stingy, I cant say.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well if they want to send Song Nan to Worlds, then there is a sense from sending Yan Han to Junior Worlds. To give him some ranking points.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Han YAN received 680 ISU World Standings ranking points for his bronze at 4CC so he couldn't have picked up any more points at Junior Worlds (500 points for 1st place) because only 1 ISU Championship counts per season.

If Nan SONG goes to Worlds and places 9th or higher, he can increase his ranking points from the 496 he gained at 4CC.

4. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I think that's a lousy reason to send Song to Worlds instead of Yan. What's more important here? Getting 2 spots for Olympics or giving Song another chance to rack up more ranking points? I think Yan has a better chance than Song to earn the 2 spots at Worlds. The better skating skills alone will be favored by the judges.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

But I have no idea if that's the, or a, reason Song is going to Worlds instead of Yan. If I had the power ;), I'd send Yan to Worlds.

6. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Want to hear a lousier explanation? To justify the $$$ spent on SONG Nan's choreography.

I like both YAN and SONG and wish they compete for the spot on an equal footing. But the federation seriously made many mistakes in the year of Olympic qualification.

Ziggy, allegedly there are six federation officials, which one would you like to take? ;)

7. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's just that nobody is able to come up with a remotely logical explanation for the Chinese Federation's decision. I guess "justifying the $$$ spent on Song" is as good (or nonsensical) as any.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ahhh ok. Thanks for pointing that out. Now I am starting to understand better why Yan isn't at Junior Worlds. Although I guess even not getting ranking points, he'd help the fed secure 3 spots for next year.

All of them. :p

9. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Ziggy, I am in China right now. Shall I make same enquiries for you?:p I hope Nan Song has recovered from the accident he had. Not a wonder if it has leaved some trauma to him.

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

Zhang and Jin managed to earn 3 spots (barely but they did it).

Maybe Team China has a crystal ball (or lots of :bribe: ). :p (Or sheer dumb luck)

11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:cheer: Crystal or dumb .... so long it works! I am sure it was caculated risk.:)

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Not so lucky for the ladies though.

13. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

It looks like both YAN Han and SONG Nan will compete in 2 upcoming events

- Chinese National Figure Skating Final (grrr not sure about the name) March 28-29, Qingdao (more in K&C thread)
    - World Team Trophy :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: bring on the drama!

ZHANG Kexin's injury status on the other hand is still a bit of unknown. Apparently she was not named to WTT.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting from the WTT thread:
    Are Huang/Zheng injured? They haven't competed internationally since NHK Trophy but are still ranked one spot above Yu/Wang in the current World Standings in dance.

15. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

HUANG Xintong is currently a big question mark. According to this article from April 2012 she is diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (甲亢).

16. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Apparently SONG Nan withdraws too from the national competition next week in Qingdao, but YAN Han confirms on weibo that he'll compete there because "it pays" LOL

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:lol:

18. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

And she's in!!! Bring it on girl.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If by 'bring it on,' you mean stroke from one element into another, looking like she couldn't possibly care any less, yes she'll probably 'bring it on'. :scream:

20. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

If unofficial reports are reliable, she returned to training for a very limited time shortly before worlds. It's remarkable she even managed to finish the program! Let's give her a little more time.

21. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

thanks jjane45! don't take Ziggy too seriously, he likes to bi*ch a lot

22. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

2013 National Cup is through the SP / SD. Not much surprise in the results. But the competition actually has live results page and PDF protocol shortly after!!!!!

Quoting myself from the nationals back in December 2012
    IIRC there were some buzz on weibo after nationals about the lack of timely information, that fans depended on photo of handwritten notes from spectator in the audience etc. Well, this time local television showed some competitors on tape delay (maybe we could expect vids later), and the live results page* actually works!! Call me surprised, keep up the good work Fed :)

* Please fix the encoding problem, Chinese characters do not display properly...

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  23. jlai

jlai Title-less

赵子荃 Zhao Qichuan is in first in ladies after sp. Zhang Kexin second

24. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Cross posting from wtt thread. Rumor has it that SONG Nan was injured before worlds and that's why YAN Han was standing by. Eventually SONG went to London and competed with (Cortisone
    steroid?) injections.

No comments.

25. whispering

whispering Member

Yes,it remained a mystery why the fed chose an injured Song over a healthy and well-prepared Yan.I mean Yan trained really hard in the past months and he was going to put 2 quads in the long programme.Either TPTB didn't really care that much about the outcome or Song just pull a Rachael Flatt at worlds :confused:

26. jlai

jlai Title-less

Fwiw, Nan Song being injured at worlds is unconfirmed rumor.

Even if true, the Chinese fed isnt the first to send an athlete who is not at peak condition.

The question is really whether the Chinese fed abide by its own rules when selecting athletes for worlds and if they announce them to athletes in advance. And can these rules improve?

Without more info everything is moot imho

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

28. whispering

whispering Member

No,Song confirmed it after worlds when he talked to a Japanese fan through private message and she tweet about it.

29. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  30. jlai

jlai Title-less

Tweeting about a pm? Either Song forgot to tellthe fan to keep it under wraps or he didnt mind. Lol

As for how things happened the way they happened, who knows. (Shrug) I dont remember there were fan reports re anything about Song looking injured at worlds, and I suspect Song probably did the best he could.

I wish Yan had done gp this season and proved himself on the senior level that way, but none of the top jrs at jw last year moved up to gp for various ranking or strategic reasons, and it is sadly too late for the whatifs.