1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese skating updates and reports

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jjane45, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginsengtea

ginsengtea Well-Known Member

veneresplende over on GS uploaded their FS: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...amp-Jin-Yang&p=1223257&viewfull=1#post1223257

Maybe they just wanted all of the top four pairs to be on a podium, and Y/J were sent down because they're the youngest or something. I don't really know, you're right, the CSA makes some really strange decisions with god-knows-what motives.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Oh, that's the best username!

3. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

4. s_parks

s_parks Member

pinky166 likes this.
  5. ginsengtea

6. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

They seemed sloppy throughout the program. For some reason Yu kept on losing her footing. I wonder if she had a boot/blade issue.

YouTube version of Boyang Jin's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr-6rB4UlZU
    His presentation has really improved! And he makes the quads look so easy!

7. chapis

chapis Well-Known Member

Dobre likes this.
  8. ginsengtea

In these national competitions they do something where they give out extra bonus points apart from GOEs for doing the harder jumps in singles. I'm unironically amused Boyang's keeping his SP, it is definitely entertaining to watch. The 4Lz combo helps too.

Yeah, I realized after watching the closer video more attentively that she kept losing her footing. The pair spin they ran out of time to finish too. She seemed more winded than usual after, maybe the altitude plus it being early in the season didn't help. They did skate well in the SP though. I think S/H said they were taking out the 4S for this competition because of the physical stress related to the altitude, but we'll see when the Pairs FS happens, I guess.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  9. ginsengtea

Senior Pairs LP Results:

Sui/Han - Fall on 3T-2T-2T (Sui) and invalidated pair spin (not clear, either way there was an error), did throw 3S instead of 4S, scored 132.38
    Peng/Zhang - Problem on sbs jump and fall on throw jump, scored 123.76
    Wang/Wang - Fall on sbs jump and fall on throw jump, scored 105.68

Weibo users are saying that all of their conditions weren't very good because of the altitude.

feraina likes this.
  10. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

That is a huge FS score with a fall and invalid element. :wideeyes: They are the pairs team to watch this year, everyone is focused on all of the others and these two are going to possibly sneak up to the top of the rankings. They couldn't have come any more prepared into this year IMO.

chapis and feraina like this.
  11. ginsengtea

More detailed breakdown:

Sui/Han - fall on 3T-2T-2T<, invalidated pair spin, 62.82 TES + 70.56 PCS -1 = 132.38, Total 206.70
    Peng/Zhang - did triple twist instead of quad, 3T+1T, 2S, fall on 3STh, 56.92 TES + 67.84 PCS -1 = 123.76, Total 197.22
    Wang/Wang - fall on 3T, fall on throw, 51.84 TES + 55.84 PCS -2= 105.68, Total 166.54

Photos of protocols:
    S/H
    P/Z

12. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Do you have Han Yan's program?

NVM, I found it on youtube. His jumps are amazing, not sure abot the choreo (his usual jazzy style)
    https://youtu.be/S8-M1o82uhk

13. Sylvia

Sylvia Catching up on Regionals/Sectionals vids!

I posted Jin's SP TES/PCS scores (tweeted) in the GSD thread from earlier this year titled Did anyone see this 4Lz-3T?: "Boyang Jin SP: 4Lz3T 3A 4T 58.69 TES+39.15 PCS=97.84 1st pic.twitter.com/oA4VFargI5"
    Han Yan's SP scores: https://twitter.com/HanYanFanVan/status/645171168673144832
    Han Yan's FS scores were tweeted not long ago: https://twitter.com/HanYanFanVan/status/645171168673144832

feraina likes this.
  14. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

It's great to see Han Yan did two clean skates at this competition. When was the last time he made it? :cheer2:

I'm sort of sad Chinese ladies are left rather forgotten by their fed as well as fans. :shuffle:

feraina likes this.
  15. feraina

No good ladies coach in China...

I'm looking forward to seeing Han Yan's programs.

16. Sylvia

17. Sylvia

levineismine likes this.
  18. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

I am not comfortable that a squeaky clean Yan is only less than 6 points ahead of Jin who has mistakes in the free and is still all around sloppy...

Those TESs are going to take over the world!

19. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I agree, this is something so wrong with the current system. We have jumpers not skaters anymore.

20. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Obviously Jin is not going to score those PCS internationally. However, if he ever beat Yan internationally in scores or worse still, head-to-head, I am afraid the Federation may change their focus. This will further encourage young skaters to pick one focus over the other. And that's so sad because it's already so extremely rare to have one skater coming from China paying so much attention to training the basics of skating the way Yan did. He would have been a great role model for young skaters. Now it seems like we will be back to the bunch of Song Nans, Zhang Mins and Guo Zhengxins. :(

21. jl

jl Well-Known Member

I don't know... Han Yan may have better skating skills but I felt he didn't execute his choreography well. His posture remained in a strong upright position, limiting his range of arm movement as well as any other kinds of movement involving his leg. The program thus didn't have the sweeping motion that I think was intended with it, and I feel that when he improves in execution the PCS will rise.

Boyang Jin seemed to at least commit to executing the choreography more in the SP, ridiculous-looking as it was. I also think that dependent on what Jin did in the FS, a 12 point swing in the FS (which is what the margin would be after the SP, including bonuses for Jin as noted for national competitions) is not insignificant. Particularly since the proposed technical difficulty of Jin (4 quads?) is extremely high.

22. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Boyang got 66 PCS at JWC which I think should be the correct PCS for him even with harder layout with 4 quads. However, the way it is now, I am afraid judges will give Boyang over 70 PCS just because of his crazy BV. I don't know if I'd agree with that. I definitely disagree.

Well as long as Han Yan lands all of his jumps with that quality I don't mind if he's in character or not. Han Yan to me, should get like at least 20 points higher than Boyang in PCS. The difference of their SS, not to mention then spins, their landing and other elements... is like day and night.

23. feraina

Han Yan is obviously an overall better skater than Jin Boyang, despite the latter' jumping ability. But I would say that he has actually improved less in his presentation over the summer than Jin. Jin has obviously improved in carriage, extension, and commitment to choreography -- some of his major weaknesses. He's still quite weak in skating skills, but that takes time to improve. Given that he kept last year's SP, I'm guessing the Chinese fed did not spend money to send him to Toronto for summer training and choreography. Too bad. His coach is obviously not great at teaching skating and presentation skills, so he would've really benefit from it. Of course, even better would be for the Chinese federation to invite someone to China to work with the skaters on a regular basis, but I guess they are short on money, and not many people would want to relocate to China. If only Chen Lu (and Denis Petrov) were on better terms with the federation...

Anyway, I was disappointed at the ugly, sloppy positions Han Yan still hold while skating. Sure he has good SS's, but what about his upper body and the program?! It's not actually a jazzy piece, but he makes it look like it is because he just skates like he always does. His droopy arms really bother me, it's really like he doesn't know what to do with them. Disappointed that he hasn't made progress on this aspect in three seasons. One can hope it'll get better later in the season...

Did Y/J and W/W really not get new programs? I noticed they were in old costumes but wasn't sure about the music. That would mean they also didn't get to attend the training camp in Canada. Maybe the federation is investing in longer training sessions for the skaters who do go and having to limit the number of skaters sent for funding reasons? Anyone knows how long the top skaters got to stay in Canada this year?

24. ginsengtea

About a month, I think. Zijun seemed to stay longer while S/H left before the others.

25. breathesgelatin

breathesgelatin Well-Known Member

26. ginsengtea

Apparently Yu/Jin and Wang/Wang were due to get new programs from David Wilson as they did the season before, but he couldn't fit them into his schedule so they ended up staying home in China.

Personally I'm side-eyeing this a bit because there are other choreographers they could have gotten to work with them, but the CSA seem so fixated on Nichol for their top ranked people and Wilson. I hear Nichol's fees are higher than Wilson's, so maybe it is indeed a funding issue and they just didn't want to shell out the extra money for their third and fourth ranked teams.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Josh78 and clairecloutier like this.
  27. ginsengtea

Protocols for every discipline here

Sylvia likes this.
  28. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I too find this rather difficult to believe. Choreographers tend to find time for top-tier skaters (and as junior world champions/GP medalists, Yu/Jin have a pretty big reputation at this point). Plus as you point out there are many other choreographers they could've worked with. If anything, it would be good to mix up their choreo a bit just to bring in fresh ideas. (Not that I didn't love Wilson's programs for Y/J and W/W last season--I did.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Josh78 and ginsengtea like this.
  29. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Chinese fed doesn't seem to give two sh*ts about Yu/Jin, despite the fact that they qualified for the GPF last season and are a top 5-6 team in the world.

30. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Perhaps there are already accommodation/ "groupon" arrangements in place between the Chinese Fed and Nichol/ Wilson and it is simply inconvenient/ way too costly to go out of their ways to arrange for another choreographer in another city just for one or two skaters/ teams?! They are using state funding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.