Chinese skating updates and reports

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jjane45, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The same weibo poster also said Rippon won the final prize (iPad) at the lucky draw and when he went on stage, he apologized to Song and wished him a speedy recovery (but didn't give Song his iPad :p).

Song also said he aims to resume training soon and compete at TEB.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :lol:

Good that Adam was provided with a public forum in which to apologize to Song for the unfortunate collision. Surely he also spoke to Song privately as well. I wouldn't give up my lucky win of an iPad either -- it wouldn't help Song recover any faster. ;)

Thanks jjane45 for the link to that great photo of Dai and Nan -- two handsome guys and wonderful skaters!

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

So relieved Nan is on his feet with good spirit! Love those reports, thanks for posting them!

4. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Personally, I'd prefer a Samsung to an Apple anyway :p Although since I have an iPhone, I guess that makes quite the hypocrit :lol:

Anyhoo, thanks a lot for the news jjane45 - and great to see Song back on his feet!

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

No, but Song could maybe be distracted from training with cute cat videos, and then he'd be less of a competitive threat. :p

I hope Song takes it slowly. "Just" a concussion. . . concussions can have some pretty serious aftereffects. Wishing him full healing.

6. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Exactly my thought too while reading that article. Bumpy year for him indeed, I wish him well.

7. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

Thanks all for the updates and reports. I hope Song takes it slow and does not rush back to the ice. I've had an experience similar to what he's describing and that was not fun. Balance can be tricky for a few days, even for things like going down the stairs, so I can only imagine how tough it would be to skate.

Speeky recovery Song!

8. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Forgot to mention it's especially nice as Song stated in old interviews that his figure skating idols are Alexei Yagudin and Daisuke Takahashi :D

9. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Thanks for the info about Song Nan, jjane45!

That poor boy really has some bad luck! :( Wishing Song a speedy recovery.

10. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

11. jlai

jlai Title-less

reposting what I posted two days ago...

12. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Thanks jlai! I ended up translating more than I initially wanted from the article...

Injury-ridden
    Zhang Hao: "I and Zhang Dan discussed our situation together. In addition to her many injuries, her height was also a disadvantage, so she decided to go to school. I have a torn meniscus, a surgery is planned for next year, now it's just conservative treatment to maintain. Currently I cannot run nor do strength training for the arms, see how twisted my arms are? I lost about 10+ jin of muscle weight, (1 jin = 1/2 kilogram), which greatly affected my strength."

Decision to change
    Coach Yao Bin and Zhang Hao both decided partner change was the only way to go. Yao Bin said: "It's like (Chinese idiom) we'll die regardless we take the poison or not. Why not just take it? Why keep waiting and let the team totally deteriorate, and let great athletes lose out from their chances? So the national pairs team went through a major makeover and three ladies were replaced. We cannot stick to the old vision."

Zhang Hao said it's his choice to start a new partnership. "I have figure skated for 24-25 years, and do not want to give up easily. Others warned that with a new partner, my results would plummet. I struggled to make up my mind, then I thought - since I love the sport so much, I can discard all the glory and vanity to start from scratch. I am injured, so what? It's been hurting for two years and I am numb to pains now. Every night I lay down and feel I cannot get up, but it's fine as soon I get on the ice."

Zhang Hao's new partner Peng Cheng has always stayed at the local team, it was her first time to visit Beijing when she joined the national team. Zhang Hao constantly called her "Kiddo", unlike addressing his former partner by nickname - "Dandan".

Yao Bin said: "It's very challenging. In fact, countries like the US or Russia, their athletes are willing combine the best of the best to form powerful partnerships among several countries, or even within a single federation there are over hundred pairs. China has very few pairs, we don't have much choice in combining the best of the best, and can only try to bring two skater's levels closer, paving road to future development. Change brings opportunities.

Painful dormancy
    The change Yao Bin anticipates and the new start Zhang Hao looks forward to, all began with painful training.

In a training session with Peng Cheng, Zhang Hao habitually reached out. Before then, a pair of hands would always catch his, and two of them would start training together. But this time, he reached out in vain. Surprised, he waved his hands in front and behind, still nothing. "Then I heard the coaches laugh by the boards, and suddenly realized I changed partner. 'Kiddo' looked at me from far away, rather than by my side, half meter or a meter away at most." Zhang Hao said with a smile.

(translator's note: I feel like crying)

At this time, he greatly missed his partner of 15 years, Zhang Dan. "Pairs must have a tacit understanding, we are not lovers but we became like siblings. We grew up together, even real siblings are not as close as we are. I spend most of the time with Dandan, it only takes a look to know what each of us wants to do."

In Turin, Z/Z's recovery from the serious fall touched countless people. "It showed our connection with each other. The fall was a huge blow, but we looked at each other and immediately knew we cannot lose the spirit. We gave each other strength to stand up and continue." Zhang Hao remembered affectionately, "After the program was over, we started to complain about each other like crazy, haha. We were of course angry at the moment, but we also wanted to gel together nicely, like a couple - I have never been married, so no idea if it's like husband and wife. The argument certainly did not lead to mutual hatred, otherwise we would not be able to maintain the partnership for so many years."

15 years of partnership became a thing of the past. Now, Zhang Hao is partnered with 16 years old Peng Cheng, 12 year his junior. "Very smart little girl, but still very young, and a lot of her moves are not very solid; she has skated for a long time, but pairs skating requires cooperation and sometimes she was still going on her own." Zhang Hao said, "We have partnered for six months, but only practiced together for four months. As my partner, she now needs to become a mature athlete, not just a junior skater. She must mature a little bit faster by taking a fast track."

In order to develop the connection between the two, Zhang Hao became responsible for Peng Cheng's daily life since her arrival to Beijing. "It's her first time to Beijing and needed lots of assistance. I helped her with all daily supplies including clothes, footwear, and toiletries." he said with a smile, "I have three jobs: partner, nanny, and coach."

He even joked: "At our current level of tacit understanding, I still need to do more. I can accomplish a lot with Dandan with just a look, but not with 'Kiddo'. No response when I look at her - of course, with high myopia she could not see it anyways!"

Sochi and future
    "With the Winter Olympics approaching, I am not particularly pressured now that the 'Three Carriages' no longer exist." Zhang Hao said, "I view myself a someone new, pairs team cannot reach much in a few months or a year, it takes long time to gel and to improve through competitions. In order to place in top six or top three in the Olympic Games, it takes years of ongoing efforts and constant podium placements."

Therefore, Zhang Hao did not set high goals for himself and his new partner, "It's not realistic to gain two quads today and use them tomorrow in competitions. From now to April next year, there are only 10+ competitions total, we need to impress the judges positively every competition. Technical success will also increase our own confidence."

Having said that, a very competitive Zhang Hao still showed his anxiety. "My injuries are quite serious now, but immediate surgery means my young partner will waste much training time in her developmental stage. This is why I chose conservative treatments to focus on maintaining. You know, for pairs skating, missing one day is okay, missing two days we start to lose the touch, one week of no practice? All moves are out of shape. So now I still train four to five days weekly, and rest for two or three days."

Similarly, Yao Bin is low-key about Chinese Pairs skating. "This is a test to everyone, although they change every day, and the outside world is looking forward to good results, but my most optimistic estimate for the Olympic Games is... um, we strive to get a medal."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Thank you so much for the translation. Wonderful and informative article!

14. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2012-11-03/23296282779.shtml

Coach Yao Bin says P/T's condition is "not good enough", but he is confident in the pair and their goals are Sochi.

Regarding P/Z, Yao Bin says "Peng Cheng still lacks experience, too much pressure on her first GP, it was disappointing both mentally and physically". Zhao Hongbo thinks time is what P/Z needs the most.

Time is also what S/H needs at the moment. According to Yao Bin, Sui Wenjing was diagnosed with 骨骺炎 (translated as Osgood-Schlatter disease in post #25) a few months ago, an injury young athletes are prone to get in the development stage. She hasn't trained much since then. Vancouver ice dance OGM Tessa Virtue also suffered the same injury from excessive training, but was able to return in less than one season to achieve good results.

(Translator's note: what exactly did Tessa get?)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

It's not the same illness at all.

Osgood-Schlatter is a disease that affects the bone, where the tendon is attached. When that part is weaker (because the teenager is growing too quickly and/or when he/she is playing a sport, putting too much stress on it) there is an inflamation of that area. You have pain even by doing normal movements, and you can only rest for a while, avoiding overusing that area, and then start rehabilitation for helping the tendon and muscle getting stronger and longer.

Tessa had exertional compartment syndrome. Every muscle (or a group of muscles) is embraced by a compartment. it usually moves, expands and shrinks along with the muscle (or muscles) it contains. When this does not happen, because the compartment is not flexible enough, when the muscle contracts (and therefore it gets shorter and wider) the compartment remains rigid, squeezing the muscle. The most rigid is the compartment, the less oxygen arrives to the muscle (because the blood vessels are obviously compressed as well). You can also have numbness, if the nerve is compressed (and this was Tessa's case), no being able to move properly the part affected. You can cure it by decreasing the exertion, or by relieving the pressure inside the compartment by cutting it with a surgery.

I hope it's clear, English is not my mother tongue so I hope I was able to explain it in a simple and effective way :shuffle:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Thanks pingu, it was extremely helpful! I was wondering if Yao Bin really said it's the same disease, or was just comparing two injuries together. And please, let no one force her to train / compete until she's completely healed!!!

17. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Pre-TEB article on Song Nan
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2012-11-13/09206293658.shtml

Doctors generally require 14-day rest period for concussion, but Song Nan was back on the ice the next day (!!!) after he returned to Beijing. He said: "Not sure it was tiredness or dizziness, I felt sleepy all the time... Training is fine, quite consistent."

Regarding of the accident in CoC: "I later watched the video, still don't know how it happened. The good thing is, after any setback happened, I will remind myself to be more careful."

Regarding training the new programs choreographed by Jeff Buttle: "Last season my training was very consistent and I performed well. I want to improve my PCS this season." Therefore, he had high expectations for the new programs, working hard on interpreting music and increasing technical difficulty. But he constantly felt he could not manage the programs, and for a long time he could not concentrate during training because of high pressure. "I was annoyed to see the rink, afraid to get on the ice, and nervous about competitions." Song Nan thought his mental readiness was worse than the previous season, despite of Coach Li Wei's counseling. "This is the pre-Olympic season, I hope the judges acknowledge me, and I hope to perform the programs well."

Song Nan could not train the programs wholeheartedly while worrying too much about competitions. He gradually became comfortable with his programs just 2 weeks before CoC. "The short program was OK, I pretty much skated the way I wanted to skate. Satisfactory even with the mistakes." Because of the accident, he could not show his long program at CoC and will perform it at TEB this weekend.

"Just recovering from the accident, my goal at TEB is to skate the way I want to skate, and going element by element. Sochi is the most important competition, and timing-wise this season I still have the chance to earn judges' recognition at the World Championships. Had the accident happen next year instead, it will really damage my chances.

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I wish the best of luck to Song Nan. He needs to place top ten at Worlds this season! :cheer:

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Poor Nan Song. Good luck to him and hopefully no more concussions.

20. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Rumor has it on Chinese message boards that SUI Wenjing is back on ice after removing the cast. A different poster reported that HAN Cong said SUI has almost recovered... If it's true, I hope they take it easy and are not pressured to compete prematurely this season.

21. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Cross posted from K&C

ZHANG Kexin is back!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

But no Zhang He :(

23. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Nope, unofficial sources say ZHANG Kexin is out - no injuries mentioned.

This Worlds preview article hints LI Zijun will be the only Chinese lady at Worlds.
    YAN Han is an alternate.
    I have to say there seems to be a lot of speculation in this article though, does not look very official to me. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

This thread seems to belong in GSD with other international news/ update threads, no?

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I asked that question at the beginning of this thread and here was the reply:
    Thanks for the latest updates, jjane45! BTW, I posted your earlier Sui/Han hearsay info in the "Injury status reports & updates, 2012/13 season" thread in GSD (I also had included Kexin Zhang's name due to her GP withdrawals): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ury-status-reports-amp-updates-2012-13-season

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  26. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Thanks Sylvia!

27. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Based on this weibo post, YAN Han has a dislocated arm (again).
    I totally could not comprehend this message without looking at the comments and reply...

28. icellist

icellist Member

Very unfortunate fr Yan Han. Perhaps it's not meant for China to have 2 spots for men...

In other news, do we know about Kexin Zhang's condition? She's not injured anymore but do we have news of her next event? Both she and Zijun Li are firecrackers that can spice up the standings at Worlds.

Also, no one's mentioned this but Bingwa Geng retired according to ISU.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  30. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

In the past several months there were lots of speculations on whether ZHANG Kexin will continue to compete, politics and all, but nothing definite. No words about GENG Bingwa retiring.

So apparently for Worlds 2013, Chinese ladies have two spots but only LI Zijun is eligible in age and TES (assuming ZHANG Kexin is out). Only if the other spot can be transferred to YAN Han :slinkaway