Chinese skating updates and reports

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jjane45, Oct 4, 2012.

1. feraina

feraina Active Member

Ice Dance:(sd+fd=total)
    1 于小洋/王晨 (Yu/Wang) 48.82 + 79.23 = 128.05
    2 王诗玥/柳鑫宇 (Wang/Liu) 40.64 + 78.08 = 118.72
    3 张伊伊/吴楠 (Zhang/Wu) 38.75 + 72.47 = 111.22
    4 陈宏/赵研 (Chen/Zhao) 38.92 + 65.23 = 104.15
    5 宋林书/刘雨 (Song/Liu) 37.68 + 65.13 = 102.81

2. feraina

feraina Active Member

Ladies Total = SP + LP (TES + PCS - ded.)
    1 李子君 (Li Zijun) 156.01 = 57.41 + 98.60 ( 47.53 + 51.07 - 0.00 ) -- clean but no 3-3 nor 2A-3T
    2 李香凝 (Li Xiangning)142.02 = 49.18 + 92.84 ( 48.05 + 44.79 - 0.00 ) -- she successfully landed her first 3loop in competition!
    3 李佳殷 (Li Jia__?) 133.16 = 48.03 + 85.13 ( 43.27 + 41.86 - 0.00 )
    4 赵子荃 (Zhao Ziquan) 133.08 = 49.25 + 83.83 ( 40.50 + 45.33 - 2.00 )
    5 焦云雅 (Jiao Yunya) 123.74 = 44.24 + 79.50 ( 39.51 + 39.99 - 0.00 )
    6 郑璐 (Zhen Lu) 122.48 = 41.99 + 80.49 ( 45.89 + 35.60 - 1.00 )
    7 郭晓雯 (Guo Xiaowen) 117.19 = 37.59 + 79.60 ( 39.67 + 40.93 - 1.00 ) -- she skated well at CoC, too bad she seemed to have peaked there

3. feraina

feraina Active Member

Pairs Total = SP + LP (TES + PCS - ded)
    1 于小雨/金杨 (Yu/Jin) 184.92 = 66.77 + 118.15 ( 58.01 + 60.14 - 0.00 )
    2 隋文静/韩聪 (Sui/Han) 176.56 = 61.16 + 115.40 ( 53.80 + 61.60 - 0.00 )
    3 王雪涵/王磊 (Wang/Wang) 172.12 = 63.29 + 108.83 ( 54.63 + 55.2 - 1.00 )
    4 隋嘉莹/杨泳超 (Sui/Yang) 143.87 = 47.26 + 96.61 ( 58.07 + 38.54 - 0.00 )
    5 王文婷/张岩 (Wang/Zhang) 142.57 = 53.77 + 88.80 ( 46.73 + 45.07 - 3.00 )
    6 范鑫鑫/刘鑫泽 (Fan/Liu) 115.30 = 43.05 + 72.25 ( 42.31 + 30.94 - 1.00 )

Content:
    于小雨/金杨 (Y/J) 3t 2aseq2a 3tw 3loth 3sth 搭冰 (foot down) pair cosp 脱手 (hands separate)
    隋文静/韩聪 3tw 3t2t2t 2s 3fth di第二个托举失败 (2nd lift failed) 3sth turn
    王雪涵/王磊 3tw 3t she fall 3or2s 3sth 3loth hand on
    隋嘉莹/杨泳超 4tw 2lo2t2t 2fth 2loth
    王文婷/张岩 3tw 3s 2aseq2a he singel first 3fth doulble feet 3loth
    范鑫鑫/刘鑫泽 2tw 2sth 2a she fall 2lo2t 2loth

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. feraina

feraina Active Member

5. feraina

feraina Active Member

Men Total = SP + LP (TES)
    1 宋楠 (Song Nan) 241.88 = 81.76 + 160.12 ( 84.46 )
    2 金博洋 (Jin Boyang) 226.12 = 73.71 + 152.41 ( 83.75 )
    3 关金林 (Guan Jinlin) 208.87 = 67.58 + 141.29 ( 70.61 )
    4 张鹤 (Zhang He) 202.74 = 63.52 + 139.22 ( ??.?? ) -- apparently he landed his first 4T in competition
    5 关宇航 (Guan Yuhang) 199.66 = 70.41 + 129.25 ( 62.89 )
    6 王一 (Wang Yi) 195.70 = 59.18 + 136.52 ( 70.36 )

6. feraina

feraina Active Member

Zhang Kexin is rumored to be mulling retirement (for the third time). She really doesn't look like she has any fun on ice...

7. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Why did Peng/Zhang withdraw? Does anyone know?

8. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I hope this news is related to the thread. If not, I will delete it.

Adam Rippon twitted he is going to China for ice shows. Does anyone know details on these shows?

Adam Rippon ‏@Adaripp
    On my way to Zhengzhou, China for a fun week of shows! First stop... Shanghai.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Nathan Chen's official website lists his next event as "The World Ice Arena Ice Show, April 19-21, 2014, Zhengzhou, China." I Googled and came up with this page for the Zhengzhou Champion Skating Rink but no info about ice shows there next week. If anyone else knows or comes across additional info, please share.

I hope she's okay! Thanks for finding/posting the competition results and details.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Not surprising. I believe she was convinced to stay for Sochi only and that's why she didn't even go to Worlds. In any event, China is down to 1 lady for 2015 Worlds and they are not going to leave Li Zijun off the team anyway.

11. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Shen is coaching with Zhao? I've seen him with skaters, but not her. Maybe she wants to stay home with her baby girl for the time being?

12. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Thanks a lot!

13. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Oh wow, Yu & Jin beat Sui & Han?!?! Wangs 3rd, they were so good at their GP event, glad to see them staying ahead of these other teams here and taking 2nd in the sp

14. feraina

feraina Active Member

I am also very impressed by this. I like Yu/Jin a lot. They have developed a great chemistry on ice, a good feel for the music, thoughtful/completed movements, good synchrony. They hit a plateau with their previous coach (as did Sui/Han), but they've really blossomed under the guidance of Zhao/Shen. In fact, I see greater improvement in them than in Sui/Han after one season with their new coaches. It may be that their never having been under serious consideration for the Olympics/Worlds was a blessing in disguise, that allowed them to focus their energy on really getting better in all aspects of their skating, rather than on getting specific competition outcomes. I'm so happy for them that they are finally junior world champions, out of the shadow of S/H and of the Russian pairs. I think they could do very well on the senior circuit next year, especially given their amazing consistency recently.

I also really like S/H and W/W. As much as Peng/Zhang have improved this season, I can't see them lasting until the next Olympics. If one believes Trankov, he said Zhang mentioned that he intends to teach Peng everything he knows and helping her to find a new partner. I think his experience and steadiness really helped P/Z to do so well in this olympic season, but I think the next quad probably belongs to S/H, Y/J, and W/W. I just don't know which guy Peng can skate with after Zhang... Maybe one of the male single skaters who have great presentation/SS and without reliable 3A/quad. Zhang He comes to mind (17), but he's still fairly short. Guan Jinlin is another possibility but he's almost 25. I don't know. There are just so few good male skaters in China to choose from, especially if they have to also be tall and young...

Too bad Misha Ge is not taller/younger... Although maybe he loves the limelight too much to be willing to share it with a partner or, worse, play a supporting role.

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Choosing a male pair partner from singles does not always work out. It did work out well for Vasessa James, but not so well for Jessica Dube. And it doesn't seem to work out for Narumi Takahashi either...It is lots to learn (lifts, death spiral, spin together, throws, twists) and it seems that it is easier if pair male teaches a female skater from singles, than if pair female teaches a male skater from singles.

Besides, no matter what Zhangs intention were (teach Peng and then pass her over), it will be the the Federation who will say what happens, not Zhang. so my guess is that Zhang will last for another 4 years, the same way Pang-Tong had to.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It depends on the singles skater. Marinin went to Pairs only when, as a teenager, he started to be beaten in singles by the 12-year-old Plushenko. John Baldwin was a singles skater, too, as many North American Pairs men have been. Tran was recruited from the singles ranks to skate Pairs, and he has the disadvantage of being relatively short. Kihara didn't start learning Pairs moves until he was 20.

Peng is quite young, and finding a singles skater around her own age may work well for her, especially if Zhang can help her make the transition and work with the guy. He was a Pairs skater at a very young age, and he knows what a Pairs man is capable of physically at each age/phase. The Chinese Fed can't force a skater into Pairs, but, since elite skating is pretty much state-controlled, they can opt out of funding a singles skater who's unlikely to go far in singles, but can offer him a place as a Pairs skater. A pairing with her will guarantee resources, attention, and a chance to compete in the elite ranks.

17. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

My assumption is that Zhang will continue, just as Pang/Tong and Shen/Zhao did. If he is in decent shape physically and wants to go on, I'm sure they will put their trust in him, considering the success he's already brought to the Chinese pairs program. But the question is, what kind of shape is he in at this point?--after what's already been a very long career.

My hope is that Zhao Hongbo is already considering possible new partners for Peng if Zhang can't go on. If I were Zhao, I would leave no stone unturned, nothing. This girl is very very special and, with the right partner, could be a legitimate gold-medal contender for China. Hopefully Zhao sees that and is thinking strategically.

18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

But the discussion isn't whether it is at all possible to change singles male to pairs, (of course it is, look at Vanessa James' partner) but whether it can be done within 4 years so that Peng+singles male would be competitive at the next Olympics. Because if it can't be done into such level that they would be contenders, Chinese Federation would not allow Zhang to retire. I am sure as a long term project it is possible, but I don't think Marinin and Baldvin took only 4 years to achieve that. And Kihara is not a very good example because although he has made pretty good progress, watching their skating at Olympics and thinking that the girl is past bronze world champion...well, I am sure you saw it yourself.

19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think they would probably have to split some younger pair to give her a partner than to choose from singles. At least the male would know the pair elements. 4 years is in my view not enough time to teach singles male everything to such level that the pair would be contender. They could be decent, but not as good as if the male partner was not having to learn pair elements from zero.

20. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

I doubt they'll split her from Zhang. Peng used to have a very good partner who was close to her age, if she was just going to skate with Zhang for a year or two and then want a partner like she had, why split in the first place. Someone posted here that he was so unhappy with the split he quit skating.

21. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Hao Zhang said in interviews in Sotchi that he intends to compete until 2018 with Cheng Peng. I think he did say before, when he just started skating with her, that he just intends to "train" her as a pair skater. But it sounds like he changed his mind (or the Federation made him change his mind ;-) ) But maybe his injuries (he had shoulder problems) got better once he had a smaller partner than Dan Zhang plus he is having success with Cheng Peng, so that might be a motivation for him to carry on.

22. feraina

feraina Active Member

Well, Peng will have to find another partner sooner or later, unless she intends to retire at 20, which is probably the latest Zhang can possibly last. I know Zhang said before the Olympics that he would like to skate not only in this Olympics (this was even before the Chinese pairs team was set, as they still had to compete against S/H in a domestic comp to settle who gets the 2nd spot after Pang/Tong), but I didn't realize that he said in Sochi that he plans to skate with Peng until 2018. Anyone got a link?

23. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

Berton Hotarek paired in 2009 and came both from singles and

24. Nours

Nours Active Member

He was skating with another italian girl before Berton. She was weaker.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sui/Han were great at 4CC but Nationals are the second competition in a row after Worlds where they seem to have imploded. I am worried that the little height difference between them might end up breaking them up. It would be a real shame because they have 'the spark' in their skating. Although they don't appear to be very happy recently. Maybe they didn't adjust to the new training environment too well?

At this rate Yu/Jin are well on their way to become China's number 2 (or even eventually number 1) team. They are very consistent, have very good chemistry and quite good attention to detail. All they really need is more projection and energy and choreography with a little more style and character. But they're almost soup.

I remember reading something about her involvement and helping the pair teams with expression, girls with throws, etc.

My guess would be that she maybe isn't doing that in a full-time capacity yet because of taking care of the baby. Long-term, I'd expect her to coach alongside Zhao Hongbo.

26. iceflame

iceflame New Member

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  27. feraina

feraina Active Member

Well, Sui has been going through a period of puberty growth and injury, so they lost a lot of training time, and at least one of her injuries is rumored to be rather serious and treatment of it has been delayed because of the Olympic season. So we'll have to see what they look like once they are healthy and strong again. 4CC shows they are still capable of skating well, and the judges still reward them for it.

And of course, they took all the heat from Yao Bin and the rest in the competition with P/Z for the Olympics spot. They went from China's pairs darling from pre-injury two seasons ago and their coach's top team, to suddenly #3 and missing out on the Olympics this season. This must have been an emotionally and physically exhausting season for them, so I think it's not surprising that they didn't do well here. I mean, what other country even has a major domestic comp by this time of the season?! Everyone else is on vacation or working on next season's programs. I don't know why the Chinese federation has to have a second national's in April every year that prevents the athletes from either resting/recharging or getting an early start on the next season.

Next year is going to be a nail-biter again, because with Y/J aging out of juniors, there will suddenly be four good pairs teams vying for one worlds spot. I don't think China has ever had more than 3 good senior teams at a time before, so they never had to decide which one to leave at home. It's going to be exciting, but also heart-breaking for at least one team.

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Chinese pairs finished 5th and 6th at worlds, so that means that they will have three spots next year. Which one to leave at home - it usually sorts itself. One pair may go through growth spur or someone may be injured, or GP events discover that one of those pairs is much weaker than the others... four pairs usually nicely cover three spots.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  30. jlai

jlai Title-less

I took the mention of "one worlds spot" to mean that the other two were spoken for. That said, I do not know who spoke for them, other than Zhang/Peng