Chinese skating news & skater updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

So I figured it was time to have a general news thread for Chinese skaters, too. :)

Pj Kwong's interview (part 1) with Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang in Toronto.

Reposting from 6/19/11 (info on Pang/Tong's new FS):

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Pj Kwong's interview (part 2) with Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang in Toronto.
    Re. his injury:

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'll say that I'm really excited to see what Zijun Li does next year on the JGP. I really love her style of skating. She's lyrical and uses her arms wonderfully throughout her programs. She's decent technically and has really lovely spins as well. She finished 3rd and 4th at her two JGP events and came in 3rd at the JGPF, and 9th at jr. worlds. Zijun was overshadowed by the Russian Big 3 last year (Adelina, Liza T, Polina S.) but with those ladies out of the picture this year, she has a chance to move up a bit in the standings. It'd be nice to see China with another top female skater. I don't think there's been one since Chen Lu...

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I'm excited out Zhang and Zhang! I can't believe that they're actually putting emotion and personality into their performance!!

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Very excited but somewhat skeptical, she was their choreographer before, I wonder what she did that was so different this time that she couldn't do before? I wonder when he will be 100%, his injury still sounds pretty bad?

6. Macassar88

Maybe they're just naturally growing up? Remember back in 2006 when Pang and Tong had no artistry whatsoever? They didn't really use the music. But now, they have improved and are artistic.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  8. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

I don't agree with this - P/T have always been more expressive than Z/Z, except maybe at the outset of their international recognition (say, 2002.) I think it would be difficult for anyone to say that P/T's 2004 long had no artistry or musicality - it's still my favorite program by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgeLH5nrq9s - her positions are still a lot worse than his at this point, but I still think the innate musicality is there.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Han Yan has got so much promise! His skating skills are definitely very impressive :) I just love the way he flies into his jumps at top speed. They have stunning height and ice coverage when he does them properly. Abandon and precision all at once! The jumps he did at the LP at Jr. Worlds especially were of such great quality. Can't wait to how he'll do on the JGP this season!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  13. Macassar88

I hope he can keep his flexibility. That Y spin was amazing!

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Li skated a show version of her short program in "Artistry on Ice" last month: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92zP8kHCTyM
    She is assigned to the first JGP in Riga, Latvia.

Li's teammates in Latvia will be Jiaxing LIU and He ZHANG (men) and 3 pair teams -- Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN, Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN CHN, and Meiyi LI / Bo JIANG (their JGP debut, I believe).

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Thanks for the videos Sylvia!

That 3-3 looks really good! I'm excited for her! :)

I'm not too sold on her SP yet, but I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it when the season starts. I really wish Icenetwork would add JGP coverage to their site. I hate that the only thing they cover is the JGPF...still, I'm happy for Li and can't wait to see how she does this season.

16. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

So Sui & Han are doing JGP AGAIN after winning Jr. Worlds two times.. *sighs*

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And winning JGPF in the preceding season and placing 3rd in the GPF last season. :p

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

With China having only 2 spots at Worlds and P&T and Z&Z staying around, they probably are only aiming to go to Jr Worlds anyway.

(Didn't they go to both JGP and GP last season? Can't they do the same this time?)

19. SamuraiK

Yes, they can, but its totally pointless IMO. They need to improve by competing with much tougher fields. And i don't think the world spot is out of the question, they could beat one of the veteran teams at 4CC (they shoul've beat P&T at COC last year as much as it pains me to say it). The politicking of Bin Yao is a big card against them though.

20. julieann

S/H should get another GP spot and even if they happen to make it to the GPF, a medal is out of reach this year. They only got one last year due to the unfortunate injuries and withdraws of many of the top teams, including the Zhangs. They have a long way go before their scores compare to what P/T and the Zhangs have received. They should take advantage of the junior competitions as long as they can, and do the senior competitions where they are able.

21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well, there's the prize money and the ISU points.

And they could use more chances to get that 4sal throw properly ratified.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well I know the national politics are against them but I really hope they kick Zhangs' ass.

And I expect them to be beating P/T on the TES, at least.

23. Macassar88

Well, P and T are working on a quad sal as well, and both teams (P/T and S/H) suck at SBS jumps.

24. luCN

luCN New Member

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Well, I'm glad they announced it early, that way other teams can prepare to receive another spot.

26. julieann

I agree, I'm still sad though :(

27. SamuraiK

Booh!! Sad about Pand & Tong.. This means Sui&Han will get COC most definetly though.

28. luCN

luCN New Member

well,I think it's good for them.They're not young any more,and they have some old injuries.They should have a rest if they want to continue...
    in other articals,PT said they're very tired last year for so many competitions after the Olympics.they don't have time to rest,or polish the programs.They want to have a rest,learn new things,make the new programs better,then come back to the competitions.I think it's a wise choice.

29. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

Does anyone know how many of the young Chinese pair teams are eligable for the Youth Olympics in January? They have two spots but I wonder who will be filling the spots

30. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

Zhang/Wang will not attend CoC due to her recent injury:
    http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1174917780

So now China has two host picks open for CoC, and Yao Bin said they will be given to "more junior teams." I was worried that with P/T withdrawing, Yao Bin would've given the spot to Dong/Wu instead, despite Sui/Han having much more talent and better results, with the excuse that S/H are already doing JGP's (D/W are Yao's students, while S/H are Luan's students; Luan is Yao's former partner and rival pairs coach).

Now with Z/W also withdrawing, I think they will give S/H and D/W each a spot, since the next 3 or 4 pairs in National standing are all Luan's students. I hope this also means that they will let S/H out of having to compete in JGP again -- there's nothing in it for them, except for Chinese federation politics. :blah::blah::blah:

I mean, ideally the second spot should go to Yu/Jin instead, who were JGPF bronze medalists last season, Chinese Nationals silver medalists behind Sui/Han, and had a SB of 141 at the junior level. Dong/Wu were only 4th at Nationals, with a SB of 137 at the senior level. But I'm afraid the politics do not favor Yu/Jin right now. I'll be content if at least S/H won't be passed over for a CoC slot, because they have a decent chance of getting into GPF again. And after all, Yu/Jin don't really have a chance for getting into GPF, and one more season on the JGP could be good for them. They can definitely work on their PCS and maturity, as well as basic skating skills. Besides, perhaps they will get into Grophee Bompard as alternates...