Chinese fans to protest Patrick Chan's scores at GPF?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by dundas, Nov 23, 2010.

1. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I don't think it's right to demonstrate against a particular skater. Demonstrate against the JUDGES, because they're the ones who are doing the overscoring.

I loved the 'mushroom' protest at CoR!
  2. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Miki never WON any events with splats, let alone 3-4 falls.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I too was at that event, but my impression was different from yours. I sensed anger toward FP-M's win although they skated well, but only half of the team was doing difficult things. My impression was that they would have accepted A&P's win even though it meant B&K not winning. A&P were both better ice dancers. The fans would have been disappointed with their win, but not angry enough to walk out before the national anthem of the winners. I think the anger toward FP-M may have been enhanced by D&V's low placement too, but mainly it was directed toward the gold medallists whom the crowd did not see as worthy of a gold. Just my impression though, for what it's worth.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Exactly.
  5. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Not really. If you look at all the past ladies events, most ladies program are always 5-6 max, and 7 triples programs are rare. For ladies 5 is good, 6 is great, 7 triples (u could be a world champ).
  6. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA! It would also make the point better than anti-Chan posters -- which would only look idiotic if he skated absolutely cleanly.
  7. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

I think boycott maybe a little overboard, same as targeting a skater. But they are only showing what they feel about the sport. I get many peoples feel confused and fedup with THE INCONSISTENCY IN JUDGING. If a skater stumble on a jump, and the judges are giving GOE range from zero to +GOE, it screaming something about the system. If there are no fans, there will be no sport.

Best thing is if the score show up like that again, just BOOOOO and get out of the arena. If more than half of the peoples get up and leave, I am sure FSU will notice.
  8. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Oh, yes she did! ;)
  9. cem2

cem2 New Member

Or maybe the ISU should stop people from putting up insulting banners before thing get out of hand..
  10. cem2

cem2 New Member

surely you mean before the pairs and dance competion at Salt Lake City
  11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

OMG, Patrick is the new Yag vs Plush, Tara vs Michelle, YuNa vs Mao...but alone !
    He has more threads than anyone else.
    He is a genius, I tell you ;)
  12. Allen

Allen New Member

I know, but her PCS scores have been mega inflated, in my opinion.
  13. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Will there be counter-protests by the Chanadians? The Chan Clan?
  14. L'amour

L'amour New Member

I think this coud be nice way to tell judges that fans, skaters, coach etxc aren't stupid.
  15. heo-wikki

heo-wikki New Member

I think it is great that the Chinese are able to protest...even if I do not agree. Maybe this is what FS needs, a new controversy. :cool:
  16. _Lola_

_Lola_ New Member

I miss FSU snarky-ness in this thread!

IMO, there is no better way to express feelings towards chanflation than subtle sarcasm.
    I'd support this banner.

By the way, the 'mushroom' banner mentioned above was created by Johnny's fans from his Russian web-site ;)
  17. Judy

Judy New Member

I wouldn't support it for any skater to have such a thing displayed at an event. Very poor taste.
  18. midori

midori Well-Known Member

No I mean before the men competition at Vancouver.
  19. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

Hmmm...interesting. Never knew a minority of Chinese fans felt so strongly about this. Chan's pcs is ridiculous, but the banner would be carrying things a bit far.

By the way, is this disdain by the Chinese fans mere frustration being polarized? Or is it somewhat fueled by negative American Born Chinese sentiment or in Chan's case, CBC? Or is it completely unrelated? I'm only asking because I've recently learned of this terminology/mindset from a friend.
  20. RobinA

RobinA New Member

Sheesh, tell me. Chan at least deserves better PCS scores than most, certain Chinese pairs...not so much.
  21. Squibble

Squibble New Member

If someone actually tried to put up a banner such as that described in the first post, what would happen? Would the organizers take it down? Would the people who put it up get thrown out of the arena or even (this being China) prosecuted?

It's one thing to act like an idiot in the (apparent) anonymity of an Internet, but quite another to do it in public, where there may be private security guards or police.
  22. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I agree, Allen.
  23. Bournekraatzfan

You are so lucky to have been there! I wish I could have attended. I thought that B&K had the best OD but the FD should definitely have gone to A&P that year, IMO. F-P&M were exciting to watch, but she was doing all the work. I think that A&P's FD that year was not as popular with many of the fans as their Carmina Burana had been (that is still my favourite program of theirs, and I could watch it again and again:) It is interesting to hear from people who attended the event.
  24. Bournekraatzfan

well said.
  25. luCN

luCN New Member

FrouFrou

please,no “a minority of ” and never will,many of them even didn't watch figure skating.

It's none bussiness with all those things you mentioned above.:Dyou know,they didn't care who is overscored...the only thing they concerned is the skater they loved didn't get what they wanted.

if Evan came,he may receive the same reaction...er,actually,they said something more:duh:...on SZ's blog before the AOI show and after they ask for next year AOI cast suggestion:lol:

they can't represent most chinese figure skating fans' feeling.

and please,please concerned on the topic,don't attack other innocent people.thank you.
  26. dundas

dundas Banned Member

So you can represent most chinese figure skating fans' feeling? :saint::saint:
    :rolleyes:

You're better learn to represent yourself first!
  27. luCN

luCN New Member

They didn't want to change the rules,they just want to change the result,if kozuka or Brandon win the GPF,they also won't be happy.they cursed Kozuka and Brandon right after the COC result published:watch:

you know,they don't care the rules change or not,they just want their favourites win all the time,if not,they attack everyone everything.so although I don't like Chan,I don't want to be represented by them,and come here to explain the trueth.:violin:
  28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I was there as well and I had the same impression as you with pretty much everything you say here. Many of the people around me were most disgusted about D and V placement and the FP and M beating A and P than where B and K ended up. It seemed more like absolute overall confusion over the aforementioned rather than "the Canadians were robbed" to me.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. luCN

luCN New Member

It's funny that all the attack on me is from ID just registered.Maybe FSU should pay me for promoting the site:lol:

if you think I'm wrong.You can point out which sentence I said is wrong.and then I will reply or if I'm wrong I will admit and apologize.

What you are doing now can't make any sense:D
  30. Lily Cai

Lily Cai New Member

I have the same feeling with you. I was very angry seeing this post.

I had a similar experience at Artistry on Ice. One girls who is a fan of Johnny (no offense to Johnny^^) even doesn't know Mao Asada. I believe those who want to do such stupid things are not really figure skating fans. They don't know very well about the sports, let alone the techical elements.

Such a shame! I'm worried if things go out and spread, the figure skating community will think that audience in china are mean and not well educated.
  31. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

It's not Patrick's fault the judges are corrupted. Why blame a skater for accepting his scores? When a skater is underscored, he has to accept his scores- and it's the same thing with overscoring. I don't know of any skater who would TURN DOWN an overscored medal- who cares? If the judges like him, he's doing something right. Everybody knows competition results honestly has very little to do with the actual performance and everything to do with whether a judge likes you or not. If Patrick played his cards right for the judges to like him (the same way the judges liked Evan Lysacek so much...) then that's how it is and he won the game.

Those "fans" should just get a life and perhaps their own hobby instead of obsessing about someone else's sport.
  32. TID

TID New Member

post deleted
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  33. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

My eyes hurt. :cool: So I guess that's a no.

:rofl:
    Is this your brand of humor?! Or did you have an early Thanksgiving rum cake?!
  34. luCN

luCN New Member

That topic has been deleted,so it's the end of the story.

at least,now we all know it's just individual thought which most of us don't support.
  35. senorita

senorita New Member

Mushroom banners were funny and spot on, please multiply them like Smurfs. But negative banners for skaters , a big NO, no skater deserves this, arent we suppose to be fans of A sport? these people are athletes not puppets.
  36. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I remember Jeff Buttle winning the 2004 4CC with a poor skate, and looking completely shocked. And there was a bit of fan outrage, but his response was something like "I'm going to look at it as though I got a promotion at work, and I just have to work hard to prove that I deserved it." Patrick has worked to prove himself, but it seems the people who don't particularly like him will still find ways to criticize him. I'm like that with Mao and Plushenko, so I'm not throwing stones. Patrick is addressing the criticism though - he does have a gorgeous quad now (though he has only landed it 50% of the time in competition so far).

Really though, is it the skater's fault that the judges like them? Patrick does have outstanding skating skills, and performs the hell out of his program, and his transitions are unmatched in the mens event. The people who want to protest should do so against the judges, not against the skater. And the event organizers will likely not permit the hanging of such banners, and if they are hung, the ISU will request their removal. So, I'm going to say that while the discussion of the banners happening has caused buzz, it won't actually happen.

And besides, Patrick usually doesn't place well at the GPF - any other event their upset would be valid, but if we go by history, Patrick will likely come 5th-ish with poor skates at the GPF.
  37. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This part is so not true.
  38. dundas

dundas Banned Member

Show us the evidence that Patrick has worked hard to prove himself. People are angry because of the opposite. He fell 4 times per event on average this season. He has showed no desire to stop doing that. What's the point for him to improve if judges continue to reward him with those sloppy performances.

Show us evidence he performs the hell out of his program. Except in Canada, Chan has not been a particular favorite of ordinary audience because he does not perform. He does so-called 'skating skills' for so-called fans who believe they know skating better than others. In reality, how many so-called FSU fans have ever stepped on ice in their entire life?

Why should organizers ban hanging of banners criticizing unfair judging and skaters as well? Why? What's the basis? Do you really want ISU to act like a dictator?:shuffle:
  39. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OK, IF Patrick was never intent on improving himself then he wouldn't bother trying the quad and still keeping up with the rest of his program. Put those together and it IS a performance. Yeah, so he falls, so what? Last year he got criticized for NOT trying the quad and judges were giving him good marks then, especially in the PCS. He's trying to add the quad to his arsenal and the judges reward him for ALL that he does and deduct the way they are supposed to when he messed up. Just because someone falls does NOT mean they are not trying to prove themselves. In this case it actually means he is working on trying to be the whole package. Falling in a program (even multiple times) does not mean that someone isn't trying to prove they belong. If that were the case, why would anyone want to try anything new cause after all, if they fall it really means they aren't trying. Hmmm ... guess that means the skaters who fall more than once in any competition aren't trying to prove themselves. Somehow, I doubt any skater would agree with you on that.

Chans scores: It is NOT his fault that the judges give him the marks that they do any more than it is Joubert's fault he gets the PCS that he doesn't deserve in the eyes of many here. Does than mean some of us who believe that Joubert has been given marks that he doesn't deserve - in our eyes - should have a banner made that "calls" him out on his skating just because I don't agree with what the jugdes are giving him for marks? Hmmmm???? (BTW, I'm just using Joubert as an example).

You want to protest what the judges are handing out? Fine, do so. However, calling out a skater because the judges like him - completely childish and much like many of the posts I've read about Patrick over the past year. He must have really arrived to have generated so much venom. It's not snarking that's going on in the forum - it's just plain nastiness.

I doubt Patrick has done anything personally to any of you naysayers - you're just pissed because the judges like him and are placing him above "your" fav. You don't like how he's being scored? Complain about the judges, complain about the rules, complain to the ISU, make up your banners to protest these. Or maybe you should just grow the hell up. If none of these appeal, may I suggest that you just build a bridge and get over yourselves already.

OK, I'm :scream: cause that's a rant that's been building inside me for a while.
  40. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

What a stupid post! What do you mean he has shown no desire to stop falling. That in itself is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. Do you really think he falls intentionally? "Skating skills for so called fans?" Have you ever even skated? Apart from a Friday night maybe with the local bogan hoons that hang around rinks on those nights. Do you know what a skating skill even is? Please go back to your pre-school and take your nap, you may be in a better mood when you wake. :rolleyes:
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.