Chinese #2 pair this season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Nov 3, 2010.

Chinese #2 pair this season

1. Zhang & Zhang

36.6%
  2. Sui & Han

63.4%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Who do you believe will be the Chinese #2 pair this season behind Pang & Tong.

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don't believe Sui is eligible to compete as a senior. In any case, if the Zhangs are healthy, I don't think Sui/Han can overtake them...yet. Her jumps are a bit weak and a lot of aspects of their skating are still very juniorish.

3. judgejudy27

The pairs field is so weak this year. It is good to see so many young teams coming up but it will be awhile until it morphs into a strong field. Pang & Tong and Savchenko & Szolkowy are locks to go 1-2 at Worlds this year in one order or another, could probably both fall 3 times and still go 1-2 unless the top Russian pair returns in decent shape. Kavaguti & Smirnov are the only team that can challenge and beat those two times but she is always getting injured and they are always falling in big events, so we will see. Then after that there is pretty much....nothing, other than teams of the future, has beens, or pretenders. I guess this is a year of transition in all events though like many post Olympics years ever. Except for the dance which pretty much has everyone who didnt retire before last years Worlds back.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Sui is too young for 4CC or Worlds. Male Zhang is injured and they probably miss this season. So we'll problably end up at Worlds with Dong&Wu and Zhang&Wang:rolleyes:

5. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

I think Zhang/Zhang will remain #2, unless they are forced to retire due to injury, or Pang/Tong retire. Sui/Han are still too young to compete at worlds, but if they continue to progress, who knows what will happen.

So China will perhaps lose their 3rd spot at Worlds? (Not that they have 3 great teams to compete, as they used to)

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Exactly. :scream:

7. judgejudy27

Will Sui & Han be eligible for Worlds in 2012? I wouldnt be surprised to see the Zhangs not return at this point anyway.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes.

I'm praying Zhangs retire and Pang gets pregnant and they quit too.

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  9. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Do you like Sui/Han? (or Shen/Zhao, I know you why you don't like Pang/Tong and Zhang/Zhang, and I can see why, particularly with lady Zhang :eek:)

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I can't imagine how you could not like Sui/Han. ;)

They're not only technically very proficient but also skate to the music and have very complex programs with tons of transitions.

As for Shen/Zhao, I've said more than enough during the Olympic season. :p

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Sui&Han are fab with their energy and excitement.
    But, of course, in the terms of technique, they should have been 4th today.
    Ok, make it 3rd - above P/T.

12. yaoyao

yaoyao New Member

After seeing SP of COC, Sui&Han may become Chinese #1.hahaha

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Sui and Han have a lot of potential, but are still really rough around the edges. Give them three years!

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The point with them is that because their programs are so damn busy, you don't notice the sloppiness, messiness and bad edges.

I really hope they are going to work on those issues.

On the other hand, you got Pang/Tong with weak basic skating and godawful lines, etc. after all these years. :p

And with no incentive to improve on any those aspects, as they are getting extremely high PCS anyhow. :drama:

15. judgejudy27

After watching Cup of China I think if Sui & Han can develop more consistently they will quickly pass the fading Zhangs as the #2 Chinese pair (if the Zhangs return at all that is). Without their mistakes they would have scored higher than the Zhangs are even capable of scoring at this point. Their PCS are still low but the Zhangs PCS last year were down at the bottom of the second tier teams so that isnt much of a problem vs them.

Protocal will keep Pang & Tong as the #1 Chinese pair for atleast 2 more seasons unless they continue to skate as poorly as they did at Cup of China or they retire as well.

16. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I believe S/H will be China's #1 by the end of this season. The babydoll can't be stopped!

17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't care about skating skills or maturity when it comes to comparing Sui and Han with the emotionless Zzzzzzzzzzzhangs. They are just downright boring, and they don't even attempt to interpret the music or make their programs stand out in any way. Sure, they have excellent technical elements, but as far as I'm concerned, that's all they've got. :shuffle:

I hope and pray that Sui and Han become China's #2 (or #1).

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Not as long as Pang/Tong are getting 7s and 8s regardless of what they show on the ice. :p

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Why do I have a feeling Sui shouldn't be eligible for Championships for another 5 seasons?

They are so all-around sloppy and even more so than P&T and Z&Z that I don't think national and international judges will let them surpass the latter teams if all three are to be overscored on the same scale. :p

Kudos to P&T though, their SBS spins are now quite nice and they haven't missed a throw (even though they haven't landed a clean set of SBS jumps in free skates this season). Still, nice programs and I love watching them if not for how weak Pang looks on the ice.

20. TID

TID New Member

Post deleted

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  21. judgejudy27

I am thinking more and more likely Sui & Han are now the #2 Chinese pair even if the Zhangs do return. Though Sui & Han are not eligible for Worlds this year I expect they will win their next head to head meeting with the Zhangs.

22. Kitty Hu

Kitty Hu New Member

SH still too young for the worlds, so I suppose they would compete world junior next year.ZZ still the #2 chinese pair.they have got 2 good progarams this season ,but they haven't got chance to show that. I wish they could go to worlds .

23. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

As soon as Han hits pueberty, she will need a new partner. I hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't see P/T a lock for the silver (or higher) at worlds.

As long as the Zhangs keep doing well, I don't see why they should retire. I would rather watch them than B/L.

24. judgejudy27

The only team that could knock Pang & Tong any lower than silver at Worlds is Kavaguti & Smirnov. Certainly not the Zhangs if that is what you were thinking. :lol: And the Zhangs arent doing well anymore. They were 5th at last years Worlds with 2 totally clean programs, the only pair to do so.

25. laviemn

laviemn New Member

I wouldn't bet against any of the Chinese pairs from making comebacks if they're physically capable. They've all shown incredible grit and perseverance in the past. Also, there's a reason why they stay together for 18 years and more. Most (if not all?) the Chinese skaters don't exactly come from the most fortunate circumstances in life and this is the only job they've been trained to do from childhood, whereas someone like Keauna McLaughlin still has access to an education and another career path if she wants them.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

As of today, any word on the Zhangs?

27. judgejudy27

It is funny how the votes in this poll have gone more heavily in favor of Sui & Han as the season has gone by.

Is there any Chinese person here who knows what is up with the Zhangs?

28. oz01

oz01 Member

According to this September article :
    http://star.sports.cn/zdzh/news/dj/2010-09-02/2066861.html

On Aug 24, when practicing a lift, Dan fell on Hao's right hand and he broke his mid finger. She was training on ice by herself for a while. It mentioned that the earliest competition they were hoping to attend was next month's Asian game.

No recent news though.

29. yaoyao

yaoyao New Member

Recently, Hao Zhang has become better. And he begins to train, but when to compete is not decided

30. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

That's great! I wish him the best! :cheer: