China - The new force in singles?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

We had Chinese pair power for quite a while now but most of their single skaters (with notable exceptions) were not among the absolute favourites up to now.

I wonder if that is about to change with a mind-blowing force.

First in ladies there is Zijun Li, arguably the best thing to come out of China since Lu Chen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uTkzMdvNuU
    Wonderful skater, beautiful positions and not as headcasey as she could be ;)

Then the Men:
    He Zhang
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RojXBlzQKHI
    at only 14 he is as expressive and dynamic as some of the best skaters only at the end of their respective careers

Han Yan
    Only slightly older and IMO even more musical than He Zhang but in a more classical sense
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF-EYwt6N5Q&feature=channel_video_title

and Jiaxing Liu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RceDahcw70
    who is not as successful as the other two yet but also very talented and maybe a bit of a wild tomboy in his skating

I am really very impressed with the new Chinese generation!! :respec:
    I only wish they would have come slightly sooner so that Chengjiang Li could have rested his poor hips a couple of years sooner.

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I adore her and am looking forward to seeing her improve. :)

Bingwa Geng is quite lovely, as well.

:lol:

3. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Holy shit, Cheers Hedwig. The Chinese girl is :kickass: SUPER jumps. Shame about the edge on the lutz, but the rotation is epic. I think she reminds me of Lipinski, but with elevation :eek:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. poths

poths Well-Known Member

5. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

He Zhang is amazing, especially for his age, and I think he will be able to improve in both his technical and artistic ability over the next few season.

I'm not as sold on Li, great jumps, but I don't feel like she is connecting any emotion with the choreography or music yet, which would make a huge improvement in her skating. (Wasn't she one of the skaters who briefly worked in Artesia a few years ago with Chen Lu's former coach?)

And outside of singles, I have been impressed with the Chinese dance teams major improvements in the last few seasons.

I guess the question will be, can these young great talents stay healthy and focused enough to break through when they reach the senior ranks?

6. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

There is also Boyang Jin (13). I was really impressed by him at the Asian Trophy. Musical, expressive and has big jumps including a triple Axel. Too bad that he wasn't selected for the JGP this season (although is is age-eligible according to himself).

7. periperi

periperi New Member

I'm not completely sold on Li either, but it'll be exciting to see how she improves. The speed of her rotations are quite something.

I'm more impressed with the Chinese men. All three of them have great basics to build on, and Han Yan and Jiaxing Liu have fantastic elevation to their jumps. He Zhang probably has the most mature look on the ice out of the three, but I'm a little worried about that hammer toe he's got going into his flip and lutz. Overall, I think Yan and Liu are stronger technically.

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I adore Zijun Li. I saw her for the first time on the JGP last year and she's definitely improved since then. She has more speed, bigger jumps and she's relating to the music more. Her SP from last week was wonderful!

I do think she makes a connection with the music; a lot more than some of the other girls who are winning on the JGP this season. There's a good balance to her skating that's refreshing to see in a junior: solid jumps, wonderful spins, great flow, good speed...I really like her! She rotates so fast! I also love the use of her arms throughout her programs. I'm excited to see how she develops in the next two years.

And yes, she trains with Mingzhu Li who left Artesia last year to work with the Chinese ladies' team.

Bingwa Geng is another lovely skater. I honestly did a double take last year at one competition; I didn't get a look at her face and for a second there I thought she was Caroline Zhang (2009 Caroline, not last year's Caroline). Her style even reminds me of Caroline--lovely and graceful--but with much better basics.

9. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

The interpretive programs of Zijun Li, Han Yan, He Zhang and Boyang Jin from "Chinese Nationals" two weeks ago. It is indeed weird that Jin didn't get a JGP when he has the 3A and 3-3 combo.

I would love it, if these talented youngster made a splash as seniors as well. China could place well at the Team Event at the Olympics.

10. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I have never seen any of them before this thread. After watching the Youtube clips from the original thread, I have high hope for Han Yan. He is the one to watch. His edge control is probably better than most of the senior men. If he keeps working on his edges, he'll give Jeremy and Patrick a run for the money.

I'm worried about He Zhang's landing technique. Jiaxing Liu needs to work on basic skills and edges.

11. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I just watched Jin's video for the first time here. (so many first time for me today! :rofl:

He needs to fix the sit spin. A very good example is the last sit change sit. After he changed foot into the 'mushroom' position, he never got down enough into the 'basic sit position'. GOE wise, he'll get -. Level wise, it'll be level 1.

He also needs to work on basic skill. The MJ music was quite loud. If I can hear toe scratch from a home video with MJ blasting in the background, you know he has room to improve.

12. miki88

miki88 New Member

Zijun impressed me so much last season. This year, not so much. Maybe it's her programs I'm not liking but I don't find her skating as fluid as it was before.

13. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I'm indeed excited about the new generation of Chinese skaters! Surprisingly, unlike their predecessors, they all have great skating skills and expression! They all have some wonderful strengths and also some flaws that they each needs to fix. The junior men are the most exciting of the bunch IMO. Of course, Han Yan is at the fore front with his newly acquired 4T and 3A this season, and already wonderful skating skills. I just love watching him fly across the ice with such ferocity and HUGE!!! jumps. And I think as he matures and gets better choreography he'll be a great interpreter of classical music.

But I'm aboslutely in love with little He Zhang, who always showed incredible musicality and showmanship since he was a itty bitty 11 yr old and is now starting to blossom on the international scene. Of course, his jumps are still inconsistent and some technique questionable, and he needs to fix that. I love his LP this season - such maturity and subtlety and great use of edges in that program. I think he's going to be something once he fixes his jumps - fingers crossed for that!
    12-yr-old He Zhang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNSrtTRBRJI
    LP to anime Naruto from a few years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftiOTGhOVPM

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Well she looks as if she's shot up recently, in the pictures from Austria, you can see she towers over Vanessa Lam, and in podium shots from Latvia, she wasn't that much smaller than Polina Shelepen, who appears to be quite tall. So I think this probably explains most of why she seems a little less fluid this season, because I have noticed that too, and I think it's mostly that her body and skating are both a bit coltish and all limbs right now. That will likely change in a year or two and we will see her once again be very fluid and lyrical.

That being said, I really like her and think she is a great talent! A nice blend of technique and artistry, she reminds me a lot of Mao Asada in her junior days (although obviously not quite as impressive technically as Mao at the same age). I really hope she makes the JGPF!

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Zijun Li is a bit juniorish but a good jumper. I remember Bingwa Geng from last season--she really is quite lovely even though she needs to point her toes.

Have yet to look at the men's videos.

ETA: Love the men! All three have great potential although Liu needs to work on his spins. Yan is great, interruption non-withstanding, so expressive. All three are expressive! :kickass:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  16. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I looooove Han Yan. I'm rooting for him to win his next JGP.

17. miki88

miki88 New Member

Yea, I think maybe it's the growth spurt. Also, I'm not too fond of her programs this year. Hopefully she'll be like her predecessor Chen Lu, who just got better with age. :)

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

How very exciting! I expect to see them in Sochi and do well too! :)

19. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i agree in everything what is said about zijun li; i saw her first at last years´junior grand prix and was excited.

but we have to be honest, there were any ladies between lu chen and zijun li, at least one.
    yan liu enlightend the ladies field in torino and had a great future to come; unfortunately she was not able to do any step further and had those ups and downs, but i always crossed my fingers for her, beautiful skater.

20. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Han Yan just scored 147.30 points in the free skate at the JGP Italy! :eek: :cheer:

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

Do you think we'll see Yan Han in the world championship? In other words, would the Chinese fed send him?

I think the fed may want Yan Han to "wait his turn", but we may see him in 4cc. :cheer:

22. pinky166

If they are smart, they will send him. The scores Nan Song put up all last season pale in comparison, so unless he's improved drastically, the Chinese fed would be stupid to not send Yan Han.

23. sharonz

sharonz New Member

I doubt we will see Yan in 4cc, there are competitions in a row for him.
    JGPF -> Chinese National Games(4th,Jan) -> YOG (middle of Jan) -> JW
    It will be too tired for him to compete for 4cc, especially he may want to save all his energy for JW.

As for worlds, after watching the protocal of Chinese Nationals which held just two weeks ago, I believe Song is the one they want to send. That Song and Wu's PCS having been much higher than Yan's at NC is really ridiculous :(
    But IMO, if Yan keeps delivering big score at JGPF and JW, while Song do not show his strength at GPs (I don't want to see that happen though), Yan will have his chance hopefully.

24. mapleleaf

mapleleaf Banned Member

Nan Song has a better 3a than Yan and maybe have a 4t this season, but that's it. He is very very slow and his basic skating skills are poor. The spins are also bad. He's going nowhere on world stage.

25. pinky166

I agree which is why they should send Yan! Song was able to do well on the junior ranks but has been rather disappointing since becoming senior. In addition to the weaknesses you mentioned, he also seems to have stamina issues, tending to look visibly tired and make jump mistakes at the end of his free programs. And his international PCS are just low, really low for someone who seemed to have so much potential a couple years ago.

26. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

Is Han Yan old enough to go to Worlds?

27. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Yes, he is old enough.

If he continues to skate like this, the Chinese fed would be stupid not to send him!

Why is China suddenly on the rise in singles? In ladies it can be explained with Lu Chen's former coach being back in China. But in men? Who is the wonder-coach here to suddenly produce so many good guys after hardly anyone for the last 15 years?

28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the clip of Zijun Li. She is lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her. I was smiling all the way. Really feels the music (I love the Addams Family soundtrack) and great variation on high and low positions throughout the program. And beautiful open arms that draw you into her performance.

29. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how the Chinese federation will select the qualifier for the 1 senior Worlds spot in both mens and ladies singles.

They've used a mix of 4CC, Asian Winter Games, World University Games, National Championships to determine who qualifies, but it's been different year.

Example: 2010 - Nan Song finishes 6th at 4CC but Jinlin Guan (who placed 9th at 4CC) gets sent to Worlds
    2011 - Nan Song does get to Worlds largely due a 3rd at Asian Winter Games and 2nd at Chinese Nationals, but was the 3rd Chinese finisher at 4CC.

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

I don't think there's a specific 'cause. YuNa happened despite a non-existent elite skating program in Korea. Considering how big China is, it's a matter of time Chinese find talents and nurture them. Figure skating is exactly the type of sport Chinese should do well anyway--it's skill-oriented and favors the less bulky