Children of Notable (or not) Skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Casey2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Casey2

Casey2 Member

I have been trying to keep track of the children of past skaters who are now skating with some success at various levels. There are some that I recognize, but I am sure I am missing many. Could someone with more smarts than I, start a list? I'll be attending the US Nats 2014 and will be able to see the whole spectrum of levels and would like to recognize the children of skaters I have enjoyed in years past. (OK, I'm old.) Please don't limit this to US skaters, I'd be interested in any 'legacies'. Additionally, it would be interesting to see if these skaters are being coached by their parents (ex. Ashley Caine). The results of the parents and children, and any videos of the parents and children would also be interesting. It is exciting to see another generation of skaters develop.

If this thread should be in the Trash Can, please move.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

We've had threads on this topic in the Trash Can before. :) I'll go do a search and see what link(s) I can find.

ETA: Here's the link to the thread about Klimova/Ponomarenko's ice dancer son before 2013 U.S. Nationals that also includes more examples posted by me and others (Juvenile to Junior levels in the U.S. so Ashley Cain, 12th in Senior Ladies at Nationals, was not mentioned): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?85692-Marina-Klimova-amp-Sergei-Ponomarenko-s-son

My post-Nationals update re. children of famous skaters who qualified for U.S. Nationals:
    Anthony Ponomarenko - placed 8th in Novice Dance with his partner, Sarah Feng;
    Katia Shpilband - 12th in Junior Ladies (daughter of Igor Shpilband & his ex-wife Veronica Pershina whose pair partner was Marat Akbarov);
    Daniel Petrenko - 10th in Novice Men (son of Vladimir Petrenko, younger brother of Viktor);
    Gabriella Marvaldi - 3rd in Intermediate Pairs (daughter of Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval) - she has a new partner now;
    Maxim Naumov - 1st in Juvenile Boys (son of Evgenia Shishkova & Maxim Naumov)

ETA #2 (a modified version of what I posted yesterday in the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD):
    Gabriella Marvaldi and Cody Dolkiewicz are a new pair team that plans to compete at the Novice level this season. I believe she may have outgrown (hearsay info) her previous partner, Kyle Hogeboom, with whom she won the U.S. Juvenile Pairs title 2 years ago and the Intermediate bronze in Omaha.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    puglover likes this.
  3. Casey2

Casey2 Member

Sylvia, Thank you so much. I appreciate the time, energy, and knowledge of skating (US in paticular) that you contribute to this forum.
    Would people also post the names children of skaters from other countries? Is the daughter of Gordeava and Kulik competing (Eliza, I think)?
    I really enjoy the NBC skating show featuring retired skaters and their children-even if they might not be medal contenders.

4. Sylvia

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Ksenia Makarova is the daughter of pairs skaters Selezneva-Makarov.

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Julia Pfrengle (German bronze medalist 2010) is the daughter of Claudia Leistner and Stefan Pfrengle.

7. Casey2

Casey2 Member

Thanks everyone for the info. Are Kitty Cruthers (sp?) sons still skating?

8. Sylvia

Kitty Carruthers' son, B.J. Conrad, competed up to the Novice level (he won the 2008 U.S. Intermediate pewter medal) but I haven't seen his name listed in any competition results in several years.

Sharon Jones-Baker is a 4-time British ice dance champion and Olympian whose son Jean-Luc Baker (with his previous ice dance partner, Joylyn Yang, and now with Kaitlin Hawayek) has competed for the USA on the JGP and at his first Junior Worlds this year.
    Hawayek/Baker's 2013 Junior Worlds FD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih38RlWLRAk

1989 British men's champion Christian Newberry has two skating sons that he coaches -- Jack and Graham. Jack qualified for U.S. Nationals once in Novice before switching to represent the country of his parent's birth (like Ksenia Makarova, who competed at 2007 U.S. Novice Nationals before switching to Russia). Jack has competed on the JGP, and his younger brother, Graham, represented GBR at the European Youth Olympic Festival competition this past season.

Jack Newberry's Junior FS at 2012 Lake Placid JGP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1rlTUrfzIY
    Graham Newberry's Novice SP at Gardena Spring Trophy in April 2012:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4_8etf6Hg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    paskatefan likes this.
  9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Can you imagine if Elizaveta Kulik has skating skills from both her mom and dad? The US will have it's own Russian wonder baby in the future. :lol:

10. kates8

kates8 Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She will be a genetically engineered genius like Nastia Liukin.

AndyWarhol likes this.
  12. AKA

AKA Member

Children of famous parents often do well because their parents know what it takes I think.

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yes.

Also, in many cases, if the parents are coaches or performing pros and still spend a lot of time at the rink, the kids will get on the ice for the first time at a very early age and learn to find their balance on skates long before they're ready to take formal lessons. If their parents often bring them to the rink, they can get a lot of that kind of experience just playing around on the ice.

I've heard (I think in a book by Robert Ogilvie) that that experience on the ice at age 2 or 3 can make a big difference in later success, even if the kid doesn't skate at all until they're ready to start serious training at 7 or so.

taz'smum likes this.
  14. Sylvia

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  15. jlmart

jlmart Member

I notice people are aware of Isabelle Brasseur's daughter Gabriella Marvaldi who is skating novice pairs in the US but I am not sure people know her niece Justine Brasseur is skating novice pairs in Canada.

16. Bookslut

Bookslut Member

David Santee's son Ryan competed at one point. He'd be about 19 now, don't know if he is still competing.

17. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

(digging into my foggy memory for this one)
    Less then ten years ago, I saw one of those "skaters and family" shows, with Kristi Yamaguchi, Scott Hamilton, etc. I remember being impressed with Victor Petrenko's daughter (Victoria?). Did she ever pursue skating?

18. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ I got to meet Viktor @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA, either last summer or 2 years ago. I asked him about that. He said that his daughter Viktoria was not skating competitively any more, but was getting into tennis. I agree that she was very impressive in the family show(s).

19. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yuka Sato talks about this in the article dardar1126 links:

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm sure that this is one of the reasons why Yuka is referred to by other skaters as a "skater's skater".

22. Sylvia

Yes, Ryan Santee is still competing in Junior Men this season and his parents are his coaches -- James "Jimmie" Santee is his father, not David. From Jimmie Santee's wiki, he was the "1981 Golden Spin of Zagreb champion and the 1979 U.S. junior national champion and the 1977 novice national champion. He placed 7th at the 1979 World Junior Figure Skating Championships. ... His wife Jamie-Lynn Kitching, was a former principal skater with Disney from 1983-1995 and the 1981 World Professional silver medalist."

This young skater hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread - from Sarah Brannen's article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130624&content_id=51624368&vkey=ice_news
    Thobie Fauver is competing in Intermediate again this season.

ETA:
    Anya Cockerell is competing in Junior Ladies this season and her mother and coach, Elena Kvitchenko Cockerell, was a former pairs skater in the Soviet Union with Rashid Kadyrkaev (they were 6th at 1989 Worlds). Anya also has competed previously in pairs at the lower levels. Her father, Mark Cockerell, competed at the 1984 Olympics and was a U.S. World Team member from 1983-1985 as well as a Junior World Champion.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  23. campbellka

campbellka New Member

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that a while ago, when Daria Grinkova was skating, that sometimes, she did pairs skating with Artur Dmitriev's son. Could you imagine conversation around the dinner table between Sergei and Artur? If Daria would have continued skating, I would have been curious to see if she had inherited any of her parent's mad skating skills.

24. Sylvia

Correction to my earlier post: David Santee co-coaches his nephew Ryan, along with Ryan's mother.

25. Sylvia

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

Her jumps look just like daddy's...huge, airy, with plenty of time. I like it. ;)

27. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I thought watching videos of her skating that you actually can see glimpses of both parents. I saw Katia sometimes in her movements and her lutz is totally Ilia (right down to the approach steps).

I'm not sure we can assume she would skate for the US. If her skating gets to the level of international competition, she will have the option of skating for either the US (where she was born) or Russia (where her parents were born).

28. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Having watched the Ponomerenko kid ice dancer for USA this past weekend I was curious if any of the other former skater kids are still skating and any updates? The Newbury kid was also very good for GB this past weekend.

29. Sylvia

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  30. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Ponomerenko looked so much talented in Ostrava. It'll be interesting to see how the couple grow from now.