Child Seatbelt/Booster Seat for Convertible

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Jan 2, 2011.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

We have a convertible 1970's VW Beetle that we'd like to take around town. However, it's a convertible, and it only has lap belts in the back. As such, we don't feel comfortable putting our six year old, in her booster seat, in the back seat. There's no shoulder strap, and of course, no roof.

Ideally, I'd like a 5-point harness that works with a kid's booster seat... But do any of you have any ideas that might work?

The alternative is not to take her around town in this car, which is fine; but if we can find a way to secure her, that'd be great.

Thanks.

2. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Britax Frontier allows 5 pt. for up to 85 lbs.

Really though, a young child in a convertible? That thought scares the crap out of me!

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I don't know about that. Automobile accidents can cause injury, but a tooling around town (speeds less than 40 mph) trip probably isn't any more dangerous in a convertible than many other cars. Of course, I used to ride untethered in the back of anything, including motorcycles. Got a few bumps from sudden stops, but I'm still here.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Yeah, we're literally talking about a car that, if it can even go 50 mph, I'd be surprised. Most trips are 10 mph around the neighborhood, to the local store, to a local car show, stuff like that.

5. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I have gotten good help on my car seat questions at carseatblog.com. Good luck!

6. colinmom71

colinmom71 Well-Known Member

The problem with higher weight harnessed boosters is that they usually require the top of the seat to have a tie-down tether past 40 pounds. In order to use one, you'll likely need to take the car in to have tether anchors custom installed due to the car's age.

As for a belt-positioning booster seat, you cannot use them with lap belts *at all*. You can use a BPB with the front passenger seat's lap/shoulder belt (since there are no airbags), but that may not always be convenient or as safe as you prefer. You may want to look up your local Child Passenger Safety Technician and brainstorm some solutions with someone who is well trained and well versed with difficult car seat issues.

Hope this helps and best of luck in finding what you need!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

This site, and their forums, http://www.car-seat.org/ are an amazing resource for all things car seats.

8. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well as a convertible driver....

I was hit by the Mom in the SUV which "protects" right? She plowed into me. I was at a full stop she was going 50 plus miles per hour.

Guess who went to the hospital? Not me. The "tank protection" failed!

(Now my Convertible was a new one with all the current safety measures, but perhaps you should not let the words convertible "scare the crap out of you" )

9. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

We rented a convertible for a vacation once in Florida. We put our then-five year old in the backseat and went cruising on Daytona Beach and Orlando with the top down.

She caught a miserable cold and some sort of eye infection. That particular car had unusual aerodynamics - the backseat was a wind tunnel. She was cold, but didn't say anything because she was enjoying the experience.

Just a word to the wise. Bundle up baby!

As for the real question, there are retrofit kits that will let you install a five-point harness system. http://www.tntrafficsafety.org/pdf/Retro.pdf