Chen vs Kwan- 96 Worlds

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kuzytalent, Jul 19, 2013.

?

Who should have won 96 Worlds- Kwan or Chen

1. Kwan

97 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. Chen

141 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Slutskaya

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Kwan was not 'gifted' any of her titles. This (96) is the only one that is even open to debate, and not by much. The only reason it's being debated is Chen delivered a sublime artistic performance. Kwan always delivered when it counted- and 5 times it was good enough for her to win the world title, with the exception of the 2002 Olympics (and later the 2005 worlds).

2. rickmercer

rickmercer Member

I wouldn't have given Kwan either her 1996 or 2000 titles. In 2000 she deserved the long program but had Butyrskaya been 2nd in the long program as she should have been she would have won that year. She also clearly didn't deserve her 1999 World silver where she should have been about 5th and something like 8th or 9th in the short (and she was put 4th, hahaha), or her 2002 Olympic bronze where she was overmarked in both programs.

3. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah, but Butryskaya WASN'T in 2nd in the LP. Can we insert some logic into this argument? Please? Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Kwan did enough to win in 2000. Period.

O-

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:cheer: :respec:

And, I love Lulu too! I also love the way Lulu and Michelle always genuinely showed so much respect for each other. Worlds 1996, a special year in figure skating. Special moments throughout that season which will always reverberate as long as the sport lives and breathes.

5. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA!!!

6. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

:confused:

7. duane

duane New Member

...and didn't flutz.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

In 96 (like in 2002) the judges didn't care about the flutzes. They just gave credit for lutzes.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I am sure that Chen's artistry and clean performance is the only reason why this is even debated by fans. Everything else is just nitpicking in the guise of objective justification.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Nobody cared about a flutz back then unless it was an enormous mule kicking flutz like Sarah Hughes (and even then she won the Olympics with a performance that under COP would have probably been credited with 2 clean triples and something like 15th place). Lipinski had a much worse flutz than Kwan and nobody even cared about hers back then, including the judges, other than a few of the die hard Kwan supporting journalists/fans who purposely went out of their way to nitpick her given the standards of the time. The judges didnt even care one bit about Bobek's flutzy/lippy lutz/flip thing she tried which was such a hideously bad jump by 97/98 she wouldnt even dare attempt it if she competed under COP I am sure. Likewise skaters who had an extremely true lutz like Nikidinov, Chen, Suguri, Butyrskaya, were in no way extra credited for that back then, as it simply wasnt important.

I find since COP came into play, many people are starting to look back on 6.0 competitions through COP eyes though. I dont mean so much this thread, but moreso many of the other recent threads.

11. duane

duane New Member

We're not the judges. What we, the fans, are discussing is who SHOULD have won 96 Worlds. The judges didn't care about flutzes? Well, I think they SHOULD have.

All you're sure about about is the reason why YOU think Michelle or Lu should have won.

Like nitpicking about spins?

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

13. duane

duane New Member

Huh? You wrote that the only reason this is up for debate is because of Lu's artistry. I said it's also because of the quality of jumps.

14. judgejudy27

It is funny in 96 Chen was considered to have such quality jumps, when only 2 years later she had the most atrocious jumps by far of all the top ladies even when landed somewhat cleanish.

15. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Michelle's flutz was not that bad. the next two Olympic champions had much worse flutzes.

16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm not even going to try to assess spins, steps and spirals, but I listed the base value of the jumps they attempted below. I'm not going to deal with whether or not they were fully rotated, proper take off edge, etc.

Lu Chen - 41.86, 8 jumping passes (I counted the 3sal...2a as two passes because I think it would be under today's rules), average jumping pass value 5.23
    Michelle Kwan - 42.84, 8 jumping passes, average jumping pass value 5.35

Chen would have had better GOE on the jumps, there entrances seemed basically equal, but a couple of Michelle's landings were just a tiny bit off or without much runout.

Michelle would have clobbered her on the spins.

Chen seemed to have an advantage on ice coverage, but it's hard to say. Speed is so valued now, I think Chen would have won PCS.

This would have been insanely close under any scoring system.

Who voted for Irina? Awww geez!

17. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Is that how she won two Olympic gold medals? Oh wait...

18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Two "Olympic gold medals"? You probably meant two Olympic medals?

19. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

;) I think giselle was being sarcastic, you know ... because of all those "gifted titles" Kwan won (hence the 2 Olympic "golds" comment).

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Suguri, a true Lutz ? I'd say it's not better than Sasha Cohen's :
    http://youtu.be/IOTgdkCbcW0?t=33s

And I love Angela Nikodinov's skating, but her Lutz was questionnable : ;)
    http://youtu.be/TRZwjvMaVaQ?t=6m14s

21. VIETgrlTerifa

Double Post.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  22. VIETgrlTerifa

Looks like I hit a nerve.

People who bring up the spins are probably doing so to explain why the judges may have given Kwan the nudge over Chen outside the extra triple or the better season. My comment was really only about why some fans get so passionate about this debate. If Chen didn't give such a sublime, artistic performance, people (the general people, not including outliers), outside the obvious Kwan haters who posted in this thread, wouldn't be arguing about this competition at least twice a year on this forum. I believe it's Chen's artistry that inspire so many people to keep talking about this competition.

23. judgejudy27

Hmm you are right. I was never a big enough Fumie fan to scrutinize her as closely I guess. It is still better than Cohen's though. By 2005-2006 standards I dont believe she was ever given -GOE for a clean lutz, while Sasha was everytime.

I do think for 90s standards Nikidinov had a truer lutz takeoff than most though.

24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Nikodinov, Butyrskaya, Volchkova (or was she past-90's?), Ito, Harding, Sebesteyen - all had true lutzes in the 90's.

25. judgejudy27

I do remember when the Tara-Michelle rivalry was at is peak in the late 90s though Pat Lipinski and Richard Callaghan with the talk of Tara's flutz heating up, both came outwards and said emphatically "lots of skaters flutz, including Michelle Kwan" and Frank Carroll was livid and said both needed to shut up and that Kwan had a perfect lutz. The funny thing looking back now is Michelle definitely had a flutz, but it was never enough of one to be considered one by most people at the time like Tara's and worse ones than Tara's were.

26. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I never remember Pat's being included in Frank's "shut up". Though he did invite Richard C out to watch MK skate. I miss those good times.

27. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

In that program Chen had better jumps and footwork. I would say spins equal since Chen's layback was better and her flying camel was better executed than Kwan's short little death drop with like only 3 turns. Spirals to Kwan. So overall technically I would score Chen a bit higher under either 6.0 or COP. Then on the 2nd mark it is no contest. Kwan probably had the 2nd best artistic performance of the night (although Marias was close to as good or better) but Chen was far and away better, for me .2 better or a good 4-5 points better under COP.

So Chen for me for sure.

gotoschool likes this.
  28. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

People say Kwan had more jump content just due to the extra triple toe. No way. Chen had an extra double axel (which Kwan had to take out hers to do the triple toe after not doing the planned earlier) which is almost the same value. Then Chen had a triple lutz-double toe, triple flip-double toe, and triple sal into a double axel, while Kwan had only a triple lutz-double toe, and triple toe-double toe, so Chen with the more difficult and more jump combinations I would give the slight jump content edge.

29. jackcrougar

jackcrougar New Member

Chen should have won easily. The fair marks would be Kwan 5.8, 5.8 and Chen 5.7, 6.0. The judges more than made it up to Chen with her gift bronze in Nagano though. The loser in all that was Maria and Irina who were robbed in Nagano and never got it made back up to them, and the big winner was Kwan who was gifted an extra world title and never had it made back to her the other way.

30. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:lol: