Cheltzie Lee news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Rae35, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Ah well that explains why the clip was posted. I tend to agree it has probably been put out there for strategic reasons.

Cheltzie was at Nationals doing the practise sessions but withdraw from the competition.

2. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

Actually Belinda is the Editor of the Burwood Scene (which probably has other offshoot local papers as well) and is very much in the Canterbury area She is a great supporter of local skaters/Christmas shows/events at the Canterbury rink where Cheltzie Skates and they often appear in her paper.

3. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Thanks - Burwood Scene definitely has a distribution much wider than Burwood then. I don't live in Burwood either, but still receive it under that title. I've just never considered Canterbury to be part of the Burwood area - probably because as a kid it took way too long to get from Burwood to Canterbury Ice Rink by public transport (still does), so it seemed a much further distance away than it actually is. But I'm going to stop automatically chucking the paper in the recycling now!

4. icemarker

icemarker New Member

saw the video that was posted and being only a month away from 4CC, I would have thought that this skater would have more than a 3T and 3S, maybe at least a 3, 3 combo. She will need more to become competitive in Taipei.
    I don't like her music that much, but that's a personal thing,
    I wish her a clean performance
    The other Australian skaters and dancers going to 4CC, do you think they will be competitive?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's only recently started jumping again after an injury.

And it's Ladies. A clean program with 3toe and 3sal, if you have decent basics, will earn you top 10 at Europeans and top 20 at Worlds.

6. Aussie Willy

Cheltzie has been injured and only recently started doing triples again.

7. monitchka

monitchka New Member

Chantel had the option of going to any B assignment to try to get a higher score but didn't. Her brother went to 2 JGPs, and now FCC, and JW, so I'm sure they could have sent her somewhere if they thought she could match Brooklees score. Chantel landed no triples at nats and Brooklee landed 5, so I doubt she thought she could match the score. If clean Brooklee has a chance to earn Australia extra JGP spots, Chantel with no triples would not.

The lucky one seems to be Jamiee Nobbs. She got JW when she was 13 and 14 as an alternate, last year got it at the last minute when Chelzie got to go the Olympics as origionally Chelzie was going to JW. This year, due to the min score rules she got FCC, otherwise it would have gone to the senior ladies at nats. She has really good timing! I hope she does well there.[/QUOTE]

Well as always comments are made with little or no knowledge and Chantelle spealt Chantelle, and I are both upset with how this comment sounds. There was no option for Chantelle to attend a B grade assignment as we simply did not have the money.......Yes her brother attended 2 JGP's, and will attend 4C's and JW's....geez makes it sound like we are loaded.. The fact of the matter is that our initial plan was that Bren and Chantelle would attend 1 JGP, the same one. Brendan was offered 2 that were very close together and cost affective, Chantelle was offered none. In this situation the decision was for Brendan to do the 2 especially after losing 3 1/2 months of training last year, it was important to get him back on track. Although Chantelle was disappointed at missing out on the JGP she supported the decision for Brendan. As for 4C's well we are getting there on frequent flyer points and JW we are very lucky that someone offered to sponsor his airfare to his first JW. They have been waiting 3 years to be able to do this for him. As for me I have 4 skaters in total at JW so my costs are divided between all of them including Brendan.
    Will he have this opportunity next year, absolutely not unless something changes dramatically.
    As for Chantelle, she does have triples, unfortunately this year has seen her start off very badly, she has grown a lot and that has affected her jumping. However our goal was for her to peak at Nationals, she was very upset with herself that she did not really go for the triple in the short but at the end of the day it is no longer all about the jumps. Olympic Champion....no quad...but my what a skate.

As for 4C's skaters must meet the ISU requirements and only 2 senior ladies have done that, Phoebe has decided not to go so the only other age eligible skater is Jamiee, if she did not go NO it would not have gone to another senior skater.

Chantelle and I have our long term plans and she is exactly where she needs to be right now and I am very proud of her both as her mum and as her coach.

I hope everyone continues to support all of our skaters in their endeavours, they all work very hard regardless of the placing at the end of the day. They do it because they love it and the parents support them because of the joy it brings them to see their children involved in such a beautiful, athletic sport.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't think sammyf meant anything malicious, she just tried to explain why Chantelle wasn't chosen.

Thank you for explaining the situation so well though and good luck with everything. I just checked the protocols and both of Chantelle's programs were very impressive as far as non jump elements go. Hope to see Chantelle on the JGP next season.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  9. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I guess that's all very well and good, but Lee wants so much more than to phone it in. Her element sheet for nationals (before withdrawing) included a 3toe/3toe and 3lutz for the short, and six triples for the free.

It is no secret that Cheltzie has set herself very ambitious goals for this quadrennium, so hopefully she'll be able to work through the injury and show everyone what she's really capable of.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Will she have sufficient recovery / training time til 4CCs?

I just want her to skate decently at 4CCs and Worlds so she can be invited to a GP or two next season.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sorry for the OT but since there is no Australian skating thread:

Why wasn't Robert McNamara nominated for 4CCs? He was second at Nationals where he landed some triples.

12. Aussie Willy

Robbie has probably turned it down due to the cost. He did do an interntional event after Nationals.

Robbie skated great at Nationals, considering he hadn't been training that much leading up to it.

13. Jumpin Bean

Jumpin Bean New Member

Robert MacNamara failed to attain the minimum score required to attend a championship event. He and Jessica Kurzawski both went to Goldern Spin in Zagreb in an effort to post a score- both failed.

Love Robbie to death, on a good day he has the ability and carisma to be top 20 in the world but due to financial contraints he doesn't travel with a coach which seems to come against him when it matters. This is an example of an Australian skater with a barrow load of talent and parents without the $$ to sustain the training to move on. His state association has been very supportive but there will always be short falls if skaters go overseas to train.

This will continue to be an issue with figure skating in Australia and now with the international minimum score we are going to see the Australian team continue to shrink. No longer will we see the team comprising of mediocre performers with personal fianancial resources to get them to the competitions. We will also see some really talented skaters without personal $$ being lost to the sport.

On Cheltzie- the plan was for Cheltzie to withdraw from National Championships all along but as the "draw card" of the championships the charade had to be maintained in an effort to get the skaters from early in the competition to stay on the watch her compete. She had to be entered to receive a medical bye as well as to meet the selection criteria for the Morgan Innes scholarship. Reality is it doesn't matter what is written on the element sheet for a competition if the plan is not to compete anyway. Whispers are that she was offerred a GP this season but was unable to accept due to the injury.

14. essence_of_soy

I can't see Cheltzie making the free at worlds (assuming she skates clean in the short), with more than a 3sal/2toe and a 3toe in the short. Also, if Cheltzie wants to meet her goals of a top ten finish, she needs more jump content than that.

Her injury reminds me of what Joanne Carter faced following the Olympic Season in 1998. She was injured as well, and it took until 2005 (returning to close to her former technical potential) for her to come back to the World circuit.

15. essence_of_soy

Top 20 potential? Does Robert have a triple axel or a triple / triple?

16. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

That's all she had at the 2010 OLYs and made the free.

17. essence_of_soy

This year there are skaters with more than that.

18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Well there always are. It just comes down to who delivers. If Lee skates clean, she has a good shot of making the cut.

19. Jumpin Bean

Jumpin Bean New Member

Robbie does have 3A and on a good day can land 3s/3t.

I tend to agree that Cheltzie will be battling to make the cut at worlds. She has not been able to put the on ice training in since July and her programs have not been tweaked under competition conditions. Off ice conditioning does not equal competition fitness. Her competitors have mostly been at full fitness, meeting full training committments and have already had the opportunity to tweak programs under competition conditions. The field at OWG, while considered the pinacle of competing is not always as strong the field seen at WC in non OWG years.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Cheltzie will easily qualify to the short at Worlds with 3t/2t, 3s and 2a, provided she skates clean and gets the levels.

I feel very sorry for Robbie. He's a really cool skater. If only Australian skaters were funded... :(

21. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

^ Cheltzie, if she goes to Worlds, will not need to skate in the preliminary round to qualify for the SP.

Cheltzie's 17th place finish last season earned AUS Federation one direct entry to the Worlds Ladies SP.

Cheltzie would have a direct entry to the SP at 2011 Worlds if she is sent as Australia's ladies entry (AUS is entitled to one ladies entry at 2011 Worlds).

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant to say she will easily qualify to the FS is she skates a clean SP, even with just 3t/2t and 3s.

She has the overall quality and Ladies usually are very inconsistent.

23. icemarker

icemarker New Member

never ever ever, seen Robbie do a 3A or 3s/3t combo. If he can then why hasn't he done them in competition or at least got the minimum technical element score at competitions.
    Has trouble doing 2A's. I think his carisma has rubbed off here.

24. essence_of_soy

25. icemarker

icemarker New Member

very nice jump!!!!
    I see he is entered at 4CC hope he does well. Watched the other vid's as well. Nice skater, hope he gets to worlds.

I also notice that the ladies have a preliminary round.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00011209.htm

Jamie will have it tough going amongst this field.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Good for him but that axel is cheated a bit. Impossible to tell how much exactly without slo-mo, though.

Does Mark train in Canada or just goes there every now and then?

Honestly, if they go ahead with it.... :wall:

27. Aussie Willy

Ha ha - on the clip of his SP from Nationals if you see a reddish blob through the glass just where he does his combo that is me!!!

Mark did go for his 3a at Nationals in the FS and got it counted.

28. isk8junkie

isk8junkie New Member

Our Australian skaters are dropping out of the sport at an alarming rate due to lack of competition, lack of funding, limited coaching, support, criticism, lack of designated sessions etc, etc ! The training mentality here in Australia is NOT as motivating and competitive as that of the larger figure skating dominating nations!

It saddens me that OBVIOUSLY there are those in the Australian community that find it so easy to criticise. Not just Cheltzie but I have read not so nice things about Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman, Phoeobe Di tomasso, Robert McNamara, Mark Webster and other senior skaters in Australia.

At the end of the day, these skaters skate for Australia. Criticise if you will but Cheltzie has delivered and delivered with poise, grace, humility and GUTS!!!! She has done a lot for Australia via way of her achievements. GIVE the girl her props and let her get on with enjoying the sport. She is basically our only Senior ladies skater left in Australia! Battling injury, school commitments and beating the ODDs she's still standing!!! I'm SO sick of our tall poppy syndrome and further so saddened that it is alive and rampant!

To those who criticise your time will come AND I don't wish for you what you are inflicting on innocent skaters. I have 3 children who skate and they hang on the words of encouragement from our Senior skaters. My children aspire to achieve what these international skaters have achieved.

I have the greatest admiration for our elite skaters. They represent our country well. We and ONLY we know the challenges.....UNBELIEVABLE challenges in OUR country that these skaters and our sport face. If you don't know JUST ASK one of them.

WHO CARES if Cheltzie doesn't qualify. She will continue to do her best to compete and compete well for Australia as ALL our international skaters continue to do. GO LUCK TO THEM ALL at 4 Continents Championships. They're all champions!!

Angelskates and (deleted member) like this.
  29. isk8junkie

isk8junkie New Member

Further to my previous post:

Canterbury Ice rink was a buzz yesterday! Cheltzie was on the ice practicing her programs. Brendan and Chantelle Kerry returned from training in LA. It was a delight for my children to be able to watch these skaters in action.

Brendan Kerry landed a beautiful 3lz 3t combo! How impressive...a very talented young man. I have yet to see him pull off the 3A but quite a few people say he can and that I don't doubt. Cheltzie landed a few 3lz and a few 3t3t combos in the first half of the short prog. Maybe training it for Worlds??? I haven't seen her do 3lo's lately but certainly 3f's.

I hope the 2011 season will see them pull off these magnificent jumps in competition! I love coming to Canterbury rink!!!

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  30. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:(

That's great! :cheer2: Go Cheltzie! :respec: