Cheltzie Lee news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Rae35, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

kwanfan1818, Cheylana, LynnW and 7 others like this.
  2. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Thanks for the update! The program is obviously still developing, but it has great potential. I like her music choice and the fact that she understands which styles suit her, as this program clearly does. With some more training and speed, this could be quite a memorable short. Very interesting positions on her layback at the end.

3. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I can't wait to see her compete again.

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Good to see Cheltzie out there again.

Hopefully, she can boost her content to the 3toe/3toe and 3lutz she is planning by worlds.

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Is she going to 4CCs and Worlds?

6. isk8junkie

isk8junkie New Member

Yay! So good to see her coming along after time off! She was training so well pre nationals and then injury. She seems stronger and fitter than Olympics for sure. Great to see the new programs!

My girls and I have been away and came back last week. Had the pleasure of speaking with Cheltzie and she's happy to be back training after injury and so excited to start uni! What an exceptional young lady to have had such a rollercoaster 2010 and yet so excited to be back skating. Can't wait to see what's in store for her in 2011! Welcome back Cheltzie!

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing! :) It's great to see her skate again! Go Cheltzie! :cheer2:

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the clip. Great to see her skating so well.

Just wondering why Brooklee was selected for Junior Worlds when Chantel Kerry was the Junior champion at nationals.

10. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

I can only assume they took the international results and jump content into consideration as well.
    Has Chantel competed internationally at all this season?

11. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that. It's great to see that she'll be healthy enough to compete at 4CCs. I really like the program, too!

12. Aussie Willy

Chantel didn't compete in any international events.

13. Jumpin Bean

Jumpin Bean New Member

The selection of Brooklee was a no brainer- it was clear from the selection of skaters for the JGP events last year that ISA was backing Brooklee as the next representative to Junior Worlds. ISA chose to give Brooklee 2 JGP and Jaimee 1 therefore Chantal missed her opportunity to establish an International score therefore lowering her Australian Ranking. Chantal did finish 2nd to Brooklee at the selection competition but failed to gain selection as Jaimee Nobbs has a medical bye and as the junior national champion for 2009 had priority.

Does any of this make sense? ISA has a history of selecting skaters for prefential treatment based on how the ISA guru's see this skater performing in the future. The same goes for skaters they see as not being the best representative for Australia. If the preferred skater does not fit the selection rules ISA will rewrite the rules and there is no appeal process!

Good Luck to Cheltzie and all the Australian team!

14. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Australia followed the rules they set at the beginning of the year completely. They didn't change anything but go by the ranking scores. It's the same as what many countries use, like GBR they take the highest score. Brooklee had the highest score, so gets JW.

Chantel had the option of going to any B assignment to try to get a higher score but didn't. Her brother went to 2 JGPs, and now FCC, and JW, so I'm sure they could have sent her somewhere if they thought she could match Brooklees score. Chantel landed no triples at nats and Brooklee landed 5, so I doubt she thought she could match the score. If clean Brooklee has a chance to earn Australia extra JGP spots, Chantel with no triples would not.

The lucky one seems to be Jamiee Nobbs. She got JW when she was 13 and 14 as an alternate, last year got it at the last minute when Chelzie got to go the Olympics as origionally Chelzie was going to JW. This year, due to the min score rules she got FCC, otherwise it would have gone to the senior ladies at nats. She has really good timing! I hope she does well there.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

16. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Yes, the top finishers in each will go to Worlds. As long as Cheltzie stays healthy she should have that spot easily.

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Cheltzie looks great, fit and her jumps are as big as ever! Looking forward to seeing her at 4CC and hopefully Worlds!

18. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks for sharing the link. Love Cheltzie's program and the choreography. I think working with Robin Cousins was a wise decision. :)

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sorry for the thread drift but why isn't Broklee entered for 4CC?

Her choice because it's so close to Junior Worlds?

Best of luck to Cheltzie! I hope she returns back to form by 4CC. :)

20. pinky33

pinky33 New Member

Brooklee Han is too young to compete in 4CC

Good luck to Cheltzie, Jamie and all the Aus team!!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  21. Beau1955

Beau1955 New Member

Nice program

I am of wondering why her minders have allowed for such vision to be published as it is far from preparation for an international competition, as others we are seeing are at full polish where this well behind. She is obvious still unsecure on her landing leg and and the lay back position indicates perhaps there is a back problem. She certainly appears to have done low body work and is a little chunkier then before. For such a young one to be dealing with body imperfections it must be difficult.

Wishing her well but without a sachel of tripples she will be finding being competitive difficult.

22. Aussie Willy

They were probably not anticipating that it would be seen overseas, only locally as it was a local paper that had posted it.

As for "body imperfections" - that is a rather offensive comment. If I was her mother reading this I would want to slap you for that. Comment on the skating but not what you view as not living up to your standard of what a skater's body should be. I think she looks fine and she did when she was at Nationals.

23. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Please - Cheltzie looks fantastic!

24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

She looks great, and the program looks good too. With more mileage between the date when it was filmed and 4CCs it should look even better. I hope her recovery continues well; she was a real pleasure to watch last year.

25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree. She is so toned!

26. Beau1955

Beau1955 New Member

sorry translations, english not first language by imperfection translation I mean injuries that keep happening. As for it being seen worldwide, surely they realise you tube and FSU is world wide.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Whilst it's good for other skaters to get opportunities too, Cheltzie could earn extra ranking points by competing at Junior Worlds which could help her secure GPs in the future. Although I guess the two events are very close together.

Cheltzie did seem to have gained a little weight but that is understandable for somebody who has been out with an injury. Also, she is going through puberty. She seems taller and her body shape has changed so you can't really compare directly with his she looked liked before (girls' bodies increase their body fat percentage during puberty, it's a natural process).

It's a different body and it's quite extraordinary that she adapted to it so well, especially taking into consideration her injury as well.

She definitely doesn't look out of shape!

And that performance was incredible for somebody who only recently returned to skating.

All jumps clean, program quite fun. You can see she's still not in top shape and lots of polishing is needed but taking everything into account, she looks fantastic.

Go Cheltzie!

28. Aussie Willy

Apology accepted. :)

It was a local paper who published it. They probably don't think outside the local community. And they certainly wouldn't even be aware FSU exists. Most people in Australian skating don't even know about it.

29. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Very true. Having said that, this particular local paper is edited by Belinda Noonan (for those not in the know, she's a former Australian skater/coach and has done skating commentary during the Winter Olympics). I know this because this paper sometimes drops into my letterbox at home. I remember being very surprised to see her name and picture as editor the first time I looked through it (rather than putting it straight into the recycle bin :lol:). At least it explains why a local rag published a story about figure skating, particularly as Cheltzie's rink isn't even in the same municipality! But your point stands - it probably wasn't realised that people outside the local area would see it. And as I haven't seen a hard copy of the paper since before Christmas, it's doubtful even the local community has seen it!

30. Jumpin Bean

Jumpin Bean New Member

The footage was "published" by Belinda Trussell who is Head Figure Skating coach of the Olympic Winter Institute. I can only presume that it is an attempt to quash rumours regarding Cheltzie's fittness to compete at 4CC and ultimately gain selection to World Championships. Selection will go to the highest ranked skater after 4CC which will remain Cheltzie even if she doesn't compete. I have wondered why it was "put out there" at this time when it is obviously just a training run through.