Charles Dion (Canadian skater) story

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Dave of the North, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Interesting story about Charles Dion, who was 10th at Canadians.

Charles Dion - what he's gone through

"Dion, 22, of Candiac, Que., didn’t even qualify for the Canadian championships last year. Didn’t get past Skate Canada Challenge. But his own challenges have come this season, and he’s met them, every one. All with grace and quiet chutzpah."

2. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave of the North for posting the link.

I was there in person to see Charles skate, and he was definitely one of the skating highlights in Ottawa for me. I really enjoyed seeing his incredible improvement since the last time I saw him skate in person. He made me stand up and cheer for him, and I tossed him a stuffed animal in appreciation of his best ever performances . I really hope he chooses to skate on, sometimes it's not about medals, but just about achieving personal bests and doing what you love, and in the process perhaps also sharing the joy with an audience who can also appreciate that hard fought journey just to be part of the national event that celebrates the great sport of skating.

3. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, Dave of the North. I remembered Charles Dion from Nats in Victoria. He had improved so much this year, and the audience really recognized this. We did not know about his family problems, though. What a strong, brave, skater.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I didn't realize he'd finished 10th this year - that's fantastic!

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I enjoyed his skating. The fact that he wears glasses kind of made me notice him a bit more too. :D It is obvious as I noticed his joy and happiness when his marks were announced. Continue skating, Dion. So long you love it, go for it.

6. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I LOVED him at NATS this year.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Count me in as another who loved Dion at Nationals and for whom he was a highlight of the competition. He's a wonderfully musical skater.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a great story.
    I wish I had been in Ottawa to see it.

Sometimes skating "matters" for reasons more important than we realize.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wonder if he's not able to wear contacts. I can't be easy rotating with glasses on even if there's a strap to hold it in place.

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It looks from the closer shots in this video like he might have the same kind of wraparound glasses that baseball players wear if they need glasses.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIWxfiKlQ6o

The frames of these kinds of glasses are very close to the head and shaped to the head, so they don't move around much.

11. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Having seen Charles Dion for a few seasons now since he turned senior (2010-11), you could see the natural potential was always there (even without a 3 axel or quad), but he always seemed to go in and out of focus during his programs and never was able to put together a consistent short and long program in the same competition. Good to see him go out on a good note (if this is his final season).