Changing blade size

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by ioana, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I need to start thinking about buying new blades and I found some Pattern 99s that are 1/4 inch bigger than the blades I have right now. The new blades are good deal if I were to buy them online, so I was considering changing the blade size I use. I went with an 8.75 blade before since that's what the skates came with when I first got them, but from what I can see Jackson skates in my size (4.5) could work with either 8 3/4 or 9 in blades.

Does anyone else have experience going up/down in size for the same blades and if you do, did that work out? I will ask the pro shop where I normally go before I buy anything, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had already done something similar.
  2. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Before deciding, be sure to measure the bottom of each boot, heel-to-toe, since there is a little variance in each pair of boots.
  3. dbny

dbny New Member

If they fit your boots, there is no technical reason not to use them, but longer blades take some getting used to, so be careful when you first try them. No problem with shorter.
  4. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

I was talking about changing blade sizes with my coach today as I may have to go down a size. She said going longer is difficult but there is always going to be an adjustment period with any blades. I found it really really difficult when I changed to my current blades (many, many years ago!). They were bigger but I think the main problem was that my old ones had been sharpened right down and the toe pick was practically on the ice. The new ones felt like I was on a see-saw! I don't know that that'll help you much!
  5. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Do your current blades go end to end on your boots? If so, bigger will not work. If there is 1/4" or so from the ends of the blade to the end of the boot you should be OK. Also, if the radius of the rocker is different, that takes some getting used to, too. I went from Pattern 99 (larger radius) to Vantage (smaller) and I had that see saw thing going on too! (for a few weeks...)
  6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

That's the point. The blade (the part on the boot) can't be longer than the boot !
  7. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

I wouldn't change blade sizes just because I found a good deal online...I assume (sorry if I'm wrong) that you're not doing triples in thee blades, so you technically don't need Pattern 99s (though you may like them). My point is, I'd go with a lesser blade (if it still fit my level) before messing with my size. Only time I'd mess with the blade length is if I switched boot makers and the new outsole length required me to.
  8. Mendi

Mendi New Member

I'm late to the topic, but to disagree with the above poster-

I changed blade sizes (and rocker radii) because I found a really, really good deal online. They may be a bit advanced for my level, but I've been really happy with them - while I'm still adjusting, most footwork has gotten easier - the blades practically do the work for me. I couldn't be happier with my decision, so just another perspective for you, if you haven't decided what to do already.
  9. tangerine_dream

In that case, maybe the size and rocker size you had initially wasn't right for you in the first place? Different skaters like different things. I like my blade to end a little bit before the end of the heel, some skaters have it edge to edge- and I doubt people would be equally comfortable with both.

To me it's- if it's not that great, then nothing to lose by trying. But if you are happy with your current size and have no blade-related skating difficulties, it would be a big risk to switch.

Another thing to note is that the Pattern 99 specifically has a very long top toe pick- longer than any other blade on the market aside maybe for the Phantoms. That means that extra half inch is going to be much more noticeable than if it were a different blade- that toepick require much much further bending in order to pick in correctly with it than a more rounded toepick, and that's where you'll feel that extra half inch come in even more.
  10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I haven't bought the blades yet, but I skate in Pattern 99's right now, so the big toe pick wouldn't be much of an adjustment. I had Coronation Aces before and remember liking them a lot. I might just end up going back to them because I don't technically 'need' Pattern 99's and they're also boatloads more expensive. I think better blades can make a big difference in terms of turns and footwork and had a similar experience to Mendi when I first got my Coronation Ace blades instead of the stock blades that came with my skates. I remember thinking "THAT's where the rocker of the turn is supposed to be."
    It's good to know blade size is more a matter of personal taste as long as it fits under the boot and will keep that in mind when I go ahead and get new blades.
  11. tangerine_dream

So long as it fits on the boot, you are golden. It's just that since different blade lengths will end at a different point under your heel, it might throw your balance off a bit to switch. When something works for me I just don't mess with me...I've had enough equipment problems to know when to leave well enough alone. :)

I was really unhappy with Pattern 99, mainly due to the toe pick shape. I switched to Gold Seals (which have a toe pick similarly shaped to Coronation Ace) and was much, much happier. I never got the grip right with the Pattern 99 toe pick for some reason. Again though, it's a personal thing.