changing back to 7 ft rockers

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by treesprite, Dec 8, 2013.

1. treesprite

treesprite Member

I think I need to switch back to my 7-ft rocker blades. Since getting the skates with 8 ft rocker blades, I still can't do everything I could do on the 7 ft ones, and seem to have gone backwards instead of progressing.

Tonight I took off my skates and put the old ones on (boots are the same type and size)., went back on the ice, tried to do some 3-turns and mohawks. It was so much easier.

So I will talk to the skate guy Monday about switching the blades (the "old" ones have only been sharpened like 6 times). I think my skating will improve as soon as I adjust back to the blades.

Has anyone else had to switch back to an old blade when the new ones turned out to be more of a problem than a help?

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I switched back to Coronation Aces after being in Pattern 99's for a few years. I got the Pattern 99's from a younger skater who outgrew her boots really quickly so they were a very good deal. I just didn't want to pay $500 for a new pair once they started getting flat, so I went back to Coronation Aces, which is an 8' to 7' rocker switch. Spins took some adjusting (laybacks are still not fully back), but I also thought turns were easier once I went back to a shorter radius. Although, to be fair, my old blades were so flat, that might have something to do with ease of turning, as well. Sometimes new blades/boots don't work out as planned, so going back to the old ones could be a good idea.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I did the same thing as ioana, with the same blades. Not only were the Pattern 99s more difficult to skate in, I wasn't impressed with the quality. It turned out that one blade was not 100% straight, which I guess you could adjust to if you'd never known anything different, but which was really a problem for me. And that kind of manufacturing defect isn't something that even the best skate technician can compensate for. Since I've seen kids do everything up to and including triples on Coronation Aces, I'm quite happy to stay with them.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  4. treesprite

treesprite Member

Mine are also Coronation Ace blades. They must be decent blades if so many people are switching back to them.

5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Is the general consensus that once your 7' blades have been sharpened flatter, that you should just go back to Coronation Ace because your 7' flat is basically a Coronation Ace?

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

How long have you been on the new blades? I'd give it *at least* a couple weeks--several hours of ice time--before throwing the towel in.

7. treesprite

treesprite Member

Where do you see any consensus like that? We are talking about changing from an 8 ft rocker blade to a 7 ft rocker blade, due to not being able to adjust to the 8 ft rocker. The 8 ft rocker blades are flatter than the 7 ft rocker blades, so the change is to a less flat blade, not a flatter blade.

I've been using them since April. I think that's enough time to figure it out.

8. treesprite

treesprite Member

oops double post

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

oh yeah, for sure. Good luck with the new old blades! :)

10. treesprite

treesprite Member

11. leafygreens

Excuse me for misunderstanding. It is difficult to switch rockers whether it is 7 to 8 or 8 to 7. You have to re-learn to skate, essentially.

12. treesprite

treesprite Member

That is certainly how it seems.

13. treesprite

treesprite Member

Well, the deed is done. I have the Coronation Ace blades on the newer skates now. I was skating in my old skates because I didn't want to skate on the Matrix blades knowing I was going to switch them. If anyone wants a pair of pink Matrix Legacy blades, let me know (they were only sharpened 3 times).

14. leafygreens

How many times can you sharpen a blade before it's no good? Someone said if a blade has been sharpened so many times, it is no longer that blade anymore.

15. treesprite

treesprite Member

I think they get a hair flatter each time sharpened, but theoretically as long as there is metal that isn't so narrow it will break, a person could skate on the same blades for many years. Some of the rental skates where I work can't even be sharpened because there is not enough blade to fit on the holder (we're about to get a lot of replacements, thank goodness).

One of the reasons I liked the idea of having the Matrix blades is that the metal is harder so they don't have to be sharpened as often.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  16. overedge

The problem with figure skating blades - not blades on rental skates, which are a whole different story of hard treatment - isn't grinding the metal down to the point where it will break. The problem is grinding the metal down to where there are no edges left on the blade. The structure of the blade will still be solid, but the edges will just be so shallow as to be non-existent.

The longest I had a pair of Coronation Aces last was four years, and the change in the edges was so gradual that I didn't even notice that the edges were almost gone until the skate shop guys showed me. (That probably says something about the lack of edges in my skating too, but that's another problem :) )

17. leafygreens

That's what I was wondering. I have an old pair of blades (about 8 years old but not sharpened often) and just bought a brand new pair. I can barely skate in them at all. It feels like I have never skated a day in my life. It's been a couple of months. Wondering how long that will last?

18. treesprite

treesprite Member

overedge,
    do you know roughly how many times they were sharpened, or how many hours or times of week you skated on them? I'm asking because I would like to have some idea of how long I have before having to buy new ones.

I'm going to ask one of the more experienced sharpening guys about the loss of the edges. I sharpen rental skates but not the skates of customers (and certainly not my own).

19. overedge

Treesprite - the number of hours per week really varied, because I skated a lot in summer school and then less during the rest of the year. I would guess it averaged out to about four hours a week. But how long the edges on the blades last also depends on how sharp you like them to be and how much of a hollow you get when you have the blades sharpened.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I heard some pros recommend sharpening after 40 hours of skating time, but I'm with overedge on this, it really depends on your personal preference and what you're working on at the time. I.e., I like sharper blades for MITF, but like them slightly duller for spins and freestyle, so how often I sharpen my blades depends on my schedule and whether I'm testing moves soon or competing freestyle.

21. leafygreens

Let me rephrase my question - How many sharpenings does it take to flatten the rocker of a blade? (Where you would need a new blade.)

I've heard that elite skaters get new blades every year, but I have no idea how often they sharpen.

22. overedge

That depends on how sharp you like your blades to feel when you skate, and what depth of edges you like. If you like them sharper, more of the edges are going to be shaved away every time you get them sharpened. If you like deeper edges rather than shallower ones, that's also going to take away more of the edge.

23. leafygreens

Is there any kind of estimate? Such as, deep sharpenings would make a blade last a year - shallow sharpenings would make a blade last 3 years? I have no idea what the person sharpening did each time, either.

24. overedge

No, there isn't any kind of estimate, because "sharp" and "deep" are subjective. What feels sharp and deep to one skater may feel dull and shallow to another. And the feeling might also depend on e.g. whether the skater is tall or short, heavier or lighter, how strongly or weakly they stroke.