Changes to Base Values, Under-rotations, and Levels - ISU Comm. 1611

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HisWeirness, May 6, 2010.

1. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

ISU Communication 1611 changes the Singles and Pairs scale of values, levels of difficulty, and guidelines for marking the grade of execution (GOE) for the upcoming season (I assume).

There is a lot to digest here, with changes to base values, under-rotation rules, levels, GOE, etc. Here are some posts copied over from the ISU proposals thread where this communication was first discussed.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  2. HisWeirness

Key:
    Jump: new base value, old base value (change in value)

Single jumps: no changes in base value.

GOE (+++, ++, +, -, --, ---)
    New: (0.6, 0.4, 0.2, -0.1, -0.2, -0.3)
    Old: (1.0, 0.6, 0.3, -0.1, -0.2, -0.3)

Axel + Doubles
    Base Values
    1A: 1.1, 0.8 (+0.3)
    2T: 1.4, 1.3 (+0.1)
    2S: 1.4, 1.3 (+0.1)
    2Lo: 1.8, 1.5 (+0.3)
    2F: 1.8, 1.7 (+0.1)
    2Lz: 2.1, 1.9 (+0.2)

Axel
    New: (0.6, 0.4, 0.2, -0.2, -0.4, -0.6)
    Old: (1.5, 1.0, 0.5, -0.2, -0.4, -0.5)

Double Toeloop and Salchow
    New: (0.6, 0.4, 0.2, -0.2, -0.4, -0.6)
    Old: (1.5, 1.0, 0.5, -0.3, -0.6, -1.0)

Double Loop, Flip, Lutz
    New: (0.9, 0.6, 0.3, -0.3, -0.6, -0.9)
    Old: (1.5, 1.0, 0.5, -0.3, -0.6, -1.0)

Double Axel
    Base value
    2A: 3.3, 3.5 (-0.2)

New: (1.5, 1.0, 0.5, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5)
    Old: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -0.8, -1.6, -2.5)

Triples (toe through axel)
    Base Values
    3T: 4.1, 4.0 (+0.1)
    3S: 4.2, 4.5 (-0.3)
    3Lo: 5.1, 5.0 (+0.1)
    3F: 5.3, 5.5 (-0.2)
    3Lz: 6.0, 6.0 (no change)
    3A: 8.5, 8.2 (+0.3)

Triple toeloop through lutz
    New: (2.1, 1.4, 0.7, -0.7, -1.4, -2.1)
    Old: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -1.0, -2.0, -3.0)

Triple Axel
    New: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -1.0, -2.0, -3.0)
    Old: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -1.4, -2.8, -4.2)

Quads
    Base Values
    4T: 10.3, 9.8 (+0.5)
    4S: 10.5, 10.3 (+0.2)

New: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -1.0, -2.0, -3.0)
    Old: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -1.6, -3.2, -4.8)

Overall, GOE has been reduced in both directions (fewer + AND - GOE points).

The "new" values and guidelines are from Communication 1611 (May 2010).
    The "old" values or guidelines are from Communication 1494 (April 2008, SOV table), 1504 (June 2008, change to 2A negative GOE), and 1557 (April 2009, Updated GOE guidelines).

Last edited: May 6, 2010
    kwanfan1818, mag, LuckyCharm and 5 others like this.
  3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Finally. I always thought an underrotated triple should be worth more than a clean double. :D

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I wonder why the 2A, 3S and 3F will be worth less.

:confused:

Anyways, I'm liking some of these changes!

:cheer:

5. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Overall, I like these changes. Very, very glad to see the double axel getting less credit. It was not really challenging anyone and getting a big reward.

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

For the 3S and 3F, I assume it's to make their values closer to those of 3T and 3Lo, respectively, which have been slightly raised.

For singles and now for doubles, the base values for those sets of takeoffs are identical.

One effect might be that skaters who repeated 3F and didn't bother with 3Lo primarily because of the difference in base mark will now have less reason to avoid the loop.

If they still don't include it in their programs, we can assume that's because they can't do it, consistently or at all.

Well, it's challenging for entry-level juniors, most novices and below. But it's still worth a lot more than double lutz, so those who can do it successfully will still get rewarded.

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Wheeee!!! :cheer2:

I love that the axel is getting some point lurve. Makes a big different at the US adult gold level.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

But should that be the case? An underrotated triple toe with -1 GOE would score 2.17. A perfect double toe (+3 GOE) would score 2.0. An underrotated 3Lz with -3 GOE gets the same score as the 2Lz base value. And an underrotated 3Lz with -2 GOE will get a 2.8, while a perfect 2Lz with +3 GOE would only get a 3.0. It seems like there is little reward for doing less difficult skills perfectly. Moreover, diminishing the impact of GOE basically means that how skills are performed will not make as much difference in the competition; instead, high base values and good PCS will control.

I'm curious how these new point values would have affected the Olympics scoring this year.

9. miki88

miki88 New Member

I think GOE has been playing too big a factor recently. So much that competitions can be won by racking up GOE points. The new rules are taking base values of jumps into more consideration, which balances things out a bit. And I don't think the execution of a double can be compared to the execution of a triple jump. Just because a skater executes good doubles doesn't mean they are capable of executing good triples.

10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

What is a choreo spiral? Has the spiral sequence in singles been ditched?

11. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I am soo happy with many of the changes to the base value of jumps. the 2 things that irk me is that they reduce the value of the 3flip (WHAT??? so those who never bothered to learn it will have even less motivation to do so... A flip is hard and shouldn't be only 0.2 points higher than the loop. I also wish they would address how they count combination jumps already to reward difficult combos (and sequences). adding the 2 values together doesn not a good system make!

In terms of ladies, the rule changes are very good news to Mao and Miki, and not so good for Kim. She won't be getting those crazy high GOEs anymore, her lack of a loop will hurt more, and her 3 double axels won't count for as much. Joannie and Laura shouldn't be too affected by the rules, except I wouldn't be surprised if Joannie decides to repeat the loop instead of the salchow (And now I don't see Laura ever going for the 3-flip. she has a good layout as it is)

12. HisWeirness

SINGLES and PAIRS

Moves
    This communication introduces two "new" elements, the choreo step sequence and the choreo spirals (definitions of these are in the ISU proposals). These are elements (with base value and GOE) only in the free skate under the new proposals. In the Ladies SP any spiral done is counted towards the Transistions PCS score.

Choreo Step Seq. (ChSt) - This is the second step sequence done by a Senior Man in a Free Skate
    Base value = 2.0
    GOE (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5)

Choreo Spirals (ChSp) - This is the spiral sequence done by a Senior Lady or Senior/Junior Pair in a Free Skate
    Base value = 2.0
    GOE (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5)

Step sequences are now indicated on the protocols without the -Sq, so you get Sl2, Ci2, and Se2 for straight line, circular, and serpentine step sequences (called level 2 in this example).

The points subtracted for -3 GOE for Level 1 and 2 steps have changed from -1.0 to -0.9.

Spins
    The base values for singles spins have not changed. The points subtracted for -3 GOE for spins have changed from -1.0 to -0.9.

PAIRS ONLY

Lifts
    The points subtracted for -3 GOE for Group 1 and 2 lifts have changed from -1.0 to -0.9.
    The points added for +3 GOE for Group 1 and 2 lifts have changed from +1.0 to +0.9.

GOE for all levels of Group 5 Axel and Reverse Lassos has changed to: GOE (2.1, 1.4, 0.7, -0.7, -1.4, -2.1).
    Levels 3 and 4 used to have GOE of (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -0.7, -1.4, -2.0) and Levels 1 and 2 used to be (2.0, 1.4, 0.7, -0.7, -1.4, -2.0)

Twist Lifts
    Base values have gone down slightly for Levels 2-4 double and triple twists. Base values increase for quad twists.

Throws
    Single throws worth 0.1 less in base value.
    Axel and 2T and 2S throws worth slightly more. No change in base value for the other double throws or the triple/quad throws.
    Some GOE increases for double and triples here too, but I am getting :yawn:

Death Spirals
    +3 and -3 GOE increases to 2.1 points instead of 2.0 points.

Introduction of the "Pivot Figure" (PiF) :confused:. Base value of 2.2 and GOE spread the same as death spirals (2.1, 1.4, 0.7, -0.7, -1.4, -2.1).

Pair Spins
    The points subtracted for -3 GOE have changed from -1.0 to -0.9.

13. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Wow, so many changes. What's the difference between choreo steps and step sequence?

14. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

What's a pivot figure?

15. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

(deleted)

16. ThePurestSport

ThePurestSport New Member

the real question: what will UR bashers like myself find to bi*** about now. :D

Seriously the << rule is a great change. I am a bit suprised "<" applies all the way down to 1/2 UR. Many falls will be receiving 70 percent base. I wonder if falls will need to be addressed with an "automatic <<" provision for falls (like the "automatic GEO-3" rule). But that's a minor nit. I like the direction COP is taking on this, and certainly won't miss the "shock value" of a clean skate recieving an impossibly crap TES.

This is the most humorous change. (ie. down to 3.3 ..again) I guess when it was changed to 3.5 a few years ago, nobody anticipated three- and four-2A programs.

3.3 base + big GEO reduction = far fewer 2A-heavy programs from now on.

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Agree with TPS, this proposal on underrotations addresses a whole lot of the issues, and decreasing the value for a 2A will help. For the ladies, it will make doing the 3A even more of a difference given the differential between a 2A and a 3A.

18. natsukie325

natsukie325 New Member

Is this communication 1611 already decided or just a proposal which will be discussed at the congress in June?

19. HisWeirness

GOE and jump under-rotations and downgrades

Mandatory negative GOE when:
    Jump downgraded (<<), reduction of -2 to -3
    stepping out of landing in a jump, reduction of -2 to -3 (used to be -2)
    GOE not restricted to negative when:
    jump is "lacking rotation (no sign)," reduction of -1
    jump is under-rotated (<), reduction of -1 to -2
    Also:
    No more !, just "e"

and
    :p I think this is the Ziggy rule.

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

And some will still receive full base mark.

They'll also all receive -3 GOE and a fall deduction.

So the scoring difference between a jump with a fall that was fully rotated and a jump with a fall that was not quite 180 degrees underrotated will be 30% of the base mark.

And then falls on jumps that were short by more than 180 will be worth even less (i.e., negative net points after the fall deduction in most cases).

Why should it? We do still want to distinguish between falls on jumps that were fully rotated and those that weren't even close, right? So then the question is what to do about those that were somewhere in between. Why not score them somewhere in between?

But that's a minor nit. I like the direction COP is taking on this, and certainly won't miss the "shock value" of a clean skate recieving an impossibly crap TES.

This is the most humorous change. (ie. down to 3.3 ..again) I guess when it was changed to 3.5 a few years ago, nobody anticipated three- and four-2A programs.

3.3 base + big GEO reduction = far fewer 2A-heavy programs from now on.[/QUOTE]

21. HisWeirness

I think 1611 is already decided for the 2010-11 season and beyond. Looking at the ISU Congress Proposals (1609) I found this proposal from the French federation:
    So it looks like the ISU members (federations) do not get to vote on changes to the scale of values under the current rules. :confused:

Right now the rules just let the ISU directly issue the Scale of Values without going through the proposal and decision process involved in changing Technical Rules.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  22. jane80

jane80 New Member

This Change of the MAO, by the MAO, for the MAO(3A, 3LO, etc.)

Congrats to MAO(Japan) :respec:

Last edited: May 7, 2010
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  23. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

This is a whole NEW sport!
    BTW, players still put on the skates? :scream:

24. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Thank you, Hisweirness! you rock my world! :D
    Seeing it broken down helps people like me who cannot stomach all the new info in one huge dose.

I'd like to think the new "underrotated" guidelines should be the Sparks Rule. I have been saying this forevah! :p

25. RunnersHigh

In an article from Sports Navi of Japan, "ISU announced rule changes."

And it read "Good for Mao and Dai."

26. RunnersHigh

Don't forget Miki!!!!
    Now, it's Miki's era to come. Her 4S. ;)

27. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

This helps Mao depending on what they do with her jumps. Nearly everyone could be called under rotated.

28. miki88

miki88 New Member

This rule could benefit a lot of skaters. Strict and inconsistent UR calls are not good for anyone, including Yuna. Lol. I still remember how so many people got mad at the tech panel "unfairly" downgrading her 3-3 in the fall. :hat1:

29. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Hm. I don't know if I like the smaller GOE values. I would MUCH rather see elements done high quality than eked out. Now those that are done very, very well won't be rewarded as nicely. Although I guess that balances out the dropping of a step sequence (if indeed all these changes are in fact happening).

30. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Not quite. That would be a rule that says Mao can so a triple axel instead of a double.