Chan takes great leap forward with double quads

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...an-takes-great-leap-forward-with-double-quads
    Victoria is a tune-up for Tokyo and an opportunity to evaluate how the two-quad challenge responds under competitive duress. “There was pretty much no better time to try it than at nationals,” says Chan, who’s pleased and confident with the relative ease of the double quad inclusion. “It’s been really consistent. It doesn’t take a lot of mental effort.”

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Mate, if it isn't too much to ask, why don't you just concentrate on putting out a clean competition first before upping the difficulty.

3. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Good for Patrick. Looking forward to seeing him next week.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Uh...doesn't he do quads becase he can't do a 3A?

I am so ready for multiple fall Chan to win Worlds and then get outta Dodge. The fall/quad rule will change, and hopefully we can move on...

5. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Hate to disappoint you, but zero-fall Chan won the Grand Prix Final...he's no longer talking about getting out of Dodge. Your headcases/underdogs will be crying in the back row with you after Worlds...:p

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Hey Sugar! I found an article about Patrick adding the 2nd quad when looking for some hockey stuff only I'm about 30 minutes behind ya!

I think it's great that he's going to try it and might as well strike while you feel you can. Try it out at "home" and see how it goes given that he's likely going to be Canadian champ.

Staying clean - has any top male skater gone clean in both the short and free programs at one competition yet this season? I'm thinking there is but for the life of me, I can't recall (and I'm too lazy to go looking it up - just too weary, actually).

He wouldn't be the first skater who finds doing quads easier than triple axels. :lol:

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He's been saying his quad is better than his 3a. Not surprising that he would do two quads. I guess he still plans to do a 3a at the halfway point though. That's been tough for him. I wonder if he will do a quad double or quad triple for the combo quad.

8. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:lol: I can't believe this news is being met with negativity :p Will nothing please you people?

Good for him! Doesn't take a genius to realize going from no quads 1 season to doing 3 is one hellova step forward technically. And testing this at nationals is a great strategy

9. DuckLikesSkate

DuckLikesSkate New Member

Yeah, we'll see how consistent it is in competition...

10. blade runner

blade runner New Member

Patrick has the best edges in world, I have'nt seen a better quad. His triple axle can get him in trouble.
    If he skates lands the quads and misses the triple axle he is still un beatable. His speed and edges give him a huge advantage over the competition.
    If you have seen him live you will understand.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  11. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Some more articles

Beverley Smith
    A Canadian figure skating battle looms
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...n-figure-skating-battle-looms/article1871671/

Cam Cole
    Patrick Chan, from ‘if’ to ‘when’: stretching his quads in Victoria
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/... stretching quads Victoria/4111655/story.html

Cleve Dheensaw
    Champion Patrick Chan will attempt back-to-back quad jumps in Victoria
    http://www.timescolonist.com/sports...k back quad jumps Victoria/4111893/story.html

They're all trying to hype a big rivalry between Patrick and Kevin :lol: While I appreciate how much Kevin has improved he's not quite at Patrick's level yet.

12. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Looking forward to Patrick's quad attempts. The ones he's hit so far this season have been gorgeous.

13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Patrick has had a very impressive success rate with the quad this season, especially since he has just introduced it to competition. If he is more consistent on the quad than the 3A, it makes sense to do two of the former and one of the latter, rather than vice versa.

14. alij

alij Active Member

Putting my dislike for Chan as a person aside his quad is a thing of beauty and I am not surprised he is going for two of them as opposed to two triple axels. Will be interested to see how it goes under competition stress.

When I saw the headline for a second I interpreted it as a quad-quad combo and thought that would be insane!

15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:lol: I thought the same thing for a brief moment. It seems natural for him to do what most comes naturally to him. He's not the only skater who has had problems with the 3A. Many fine elite skaters have also had the same problem, and I hope he can do it.

16. natsukie325

natsukie325 New Member

I think Kozuka skated two clean programs in GPs both in China and Paris.
    He didn't won the event, however, Florent Amodio skated two cleanest programs in Eric Bompad, too.

And I was kind of disappointed when Stephan didn't include 3A in his program even though I love his performance a lot. So as Patrick.

17. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

The IceNetwork story about this is about both Chan and Reynolds doing quads and would seem to indicate Chan has great respect for Reynolds abilities. :lol: though - the article says Kevin did 3 quads in the Short program at Skate Canada.

18. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Even with 2 quads in his LP, Patrick will have hard time winning Worlds in Tokyo since Takahashi is going to do 2 quadriple flips and double the amount of gel applied to his hair.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I think this is a smart move. The quads do seem to come to him much more easily than the 3A. It would be exciting if he could do it, there will be relatively little pressure at Canadians, I wish him the best :)

20. Brian

Brian New Member

Patrick is a talented young man. He' will be unstoppable with 2 quads...I can totally see him on the top at the World Championships podium this time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  21. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Skategods - you didn't hear nothin'! Move along.

22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:lol: yeh, move along. I wouldn't say he will win a certain major comp this year, but this certainly does improve his chances.............Gooooo Patrick!!!!:)

23. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

24. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Oh, so Chan will be doubling quads? :p ;)

25. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

Maybe this will be an exemplar season for Chan. What he and others have been waiting for and looking for. All things coming together and working for him. Who knows! It will be interesting.

26. wingnut

wingnut New Member

I really love how Chan doesn't hesitate to up his technical difficulty. He's someone that truly pushes himself to be the best he can be, in times at the expense of short-term gain.

I remember his breakthrough season in 07/08 when he just started landing the 3axel and had been winning medals all season. He upset Buttle at Nationals, and then just before Worlds decided to rework his LP and add a second 3axel because he felt he needed to push himself so that he could be a contender at the Olympics. That didn't work out well for him at Worlds, and he likely could have placed a few spots higher than 9th had he stuck with what had worked all season, but he was looking at the big picture and did indeed enter the Olympics as a serious contender.

So good for him for being willing to incorporate a second quad, even if at the expense of a 2nd axel. We'll see if he ends up going for it and regardless it's smart to try it at Nationals and then decide at Worlds if it's worth trying it again.

And as much as I do like what COP has done for the in-betweens, it'll be great to see the Canadian boys out there pushing the quads again!

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

+3 GOE for quantities of hair gel. In DoggyGirl's MCOP.

28. kppt

kppt New Member

Kind of wondering what all you naysayers think now, after seeing Chan nail 3 clean quads in 2 programs at Cdn's??

29. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. :lol: Turns out the joke is on everyone who has been criticizing Chan this season for insisting on going for the jumps he hadn't quite mastered yet. Now that he's built up his skill, he's starting to land a very full arsenal more consistently; and the critics up-thread and in some other threads have a bit of egg on their faces. :p :D

30. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I am thoroughly impressed with how Chan has developed over the season. It makes the Chan hate pretty funny now that he has landed so many quads. Ironically, he still has points left on the table to try to achieve by World's...maybe score 300 points? That would seriously be something to see with any skater to be honest.

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.