Chan: I have shown I can handle pressure by twice defending the world title

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, May 9, 2013.

Do multiple falls/mistakes in a program show that a skater can handle pressure?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2013.
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No

108 vote(s)
    83.1%
  3. Don't Know

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Silly. Canadians are okay. It's just Chan and his minion of judges that are eville. Does anyone know if Patrick has listed "collecting locks of judges hair" as one of his pastimes?

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Namecalling and negative rep? Maofan, you certainly know the way to one's heart!

4. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Oh dear, have I touched a raw nerve....

If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.

5. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

i think it was rude and immature of you to be so cowardly as to call me an imbecile because i liked a post. Now stop being a petty little brat and grow up.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Maofan was teased on the playground during recess every day and never outgrew the pain. The therapy has helped little so we're stuck with the behavior. Poor thing... first sign of objection and all those days with a mouth full of sand and rocks from the mean kids on the playground flood the memory. It's sad really...

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:eek:

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Well, the past few posts have been real mature.

9. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

:rofl: moi immature! A case of the pot calling the kettle black me thinks. Wow, what a tantrum.

Rep, whether positive or negative is not a matter you should be discussing in an open thread. That represents a breach of the rules, and both of you are in breach. Rep given or received is a personal matter between those party to it

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Depends on how one measures it. I believe Chan's conclusion was based on his own results from last two worlds, not based on how many falls he has had. Based on the results, no one can really say that he did not handle the pressure, even though not so well, but he did handle the pressure.

Based on the number of falls, which many of you loved to focus on, no, he did not handle it well, especially compare his Johnson influence days(2012 Worlds and 2013 Worlds) with his Krall influence days(2011 Worlds).

It is worth to remember that Denis Ten's LP was NOT as good as many of you have claimed, even though he did not fall! It was a 50/50 chance this time for either Chan or Ten to win the title. Chan won. So what?! You naysayers have been having the world biggest temper tantrum.:D

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

everyone back to your corners, ok? while discussing rep isn't part of the official board rules, it is heavily frowned upon. take your personal issues with each other to PM.

12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Only because a huge aspect of the system that he won in is a complete joke. The fact that this many fans (many who are long-time, passionate fans) of the sport are dissatisifed with the results means the consequence shouldn't just be brushed off or dismissed as people "throwing a temper tantrum", no matter how much the ubers would like to convince themselves.

13. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Just because you don't like the scoring system, doesn't mean that Chan's win was not legitimate. Please don't mix your own preference with the fact. The fact was Chan won under this system. The judges were no more biased to Ten than to Chan.

Actually the "long-time, passionate fans" are the people who dwell in the past the most. They are the people who are the most difficult to accept the changes.;)

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It's interesting how CoP is an apparent complete disaster...in the men's discipline. In pairs...ladies...ice dance...not so much. Hmm.

15. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Not true. A lot of people are upset that Kostner gets high marks while falling all over the place as well.

I don't watch pairs or dance, so I can't comment on those.

16. torren

torren New Member

I think her problem is which she is preventing young skaters unfairly.
    In 2013 World SP, she had very low BV and even fall on 3-3, but she was placed in second and won youngsters who had higher BV and had clean program; osmond, murakami.

17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Coming from a Mao fan your comments have a certain irony I must say.

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Peter ya know I love your comments, but this time they a bit off base.

When someone's favorite wins, the CoP stands, when someone's non-favorite doesn't win (and it goes all ways}, the CoP isn't fairly administered. Any system will be flawed. I guess it is perspective. I am resigned to the fact that "almost falls but technically not defined as falls" will result in the scoring that it has been.

I said it earlier, Patrick needs to focus on skating and jump landing, refuse all interviews and just work on being a skater.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

He has the option to keep quiet, but apparently he does not want to use that. :)

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  20. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Let's mute Chan! But then for some....... Trash Can will be a lot more boring without :soapbox: :drama:

21. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Fair enough. I'll explain my opening post

1. You start polls about a lot of things. You ask people to vote for the worst figure skating accident, as if ranking the physical and psychological pain of skaters is something worth categorizing and analyzing. You helpfully include links so that we can view this for... what exactly? Is it something you're legitimately curious about?

2. But the premise of this poll is beyond insane. It's not an actual debatable precept. But Chan said something stupid, so we should mock him. Now, this is and of itself is annoying, but hardly worth raising ire about. I wish he'd stop saying stupid things, but as he doesn't, criticizing him for saying stupid things is certainly a legitimate discussion (and I hoped my follow-up comment indicated that). But starting a poll, and framing it as you did is less about discussing him and more about an anonymous internet bully trying to get other people to join him/her and pick on someone (which I feel you've done before). There are so many other ways to frame this question that actually would render an interesting discussion. You chose a way that doesn't.

3. If discussing reputation is in breach of the rules, I apologize. However, I will point out that a number of posters certainly will be fine stating they gave reputation to someone (as in the comments "You must spread reputation around before giving it to <insert name here>"). I'm also not convinced that the rules were designed so that posters could insult people privately. But if a moderator/admin could let me know if I'm in breach that would be great.

22. johnny158

johnny158 New Member

The intent of this kind of poll is obvious. it's just another type of bashing.
    How about that?

In NHK trophy, Mao's placement can be justified? 1. Yes 2.No

In WTT, Is Akiko's scores(199.58) high or low? 1. High 2.Proper 3.Low

Is it desirable two-footed jump got +goe? 1.Sure 2. Never

Mao said she would retire after WTT. but, she changed her words recently.
    Will she really retire after Sochi? 1. Yeah 2.Nope

Last edited: May 15, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

ahem...
    I will say that your last post demonstrates why discussing rep on the board is frowned upon - it tends to lead to so much more. And the rule isn't about allowing people to insult each other privately (which anyone can do, anytime), but to keep threads from devolving into personal hissy fits (which is most certainly happening here). Want to argue? have at it - just take it to PM so the rest of us don't have to endure it.

Or better yet: put each other on Ignore. Everybody wins!

So......knock it off.

24. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I don't consider spending the majority of your program on your butt(sensoring myself lol) to be champion worthy.I cannot watch Chan skate,fall repeatedly and receive a gold medal without becoming absolutely livid.It is a complete joke. As you may have discerned,I am not a Chan fan.

25. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Maybe you need to look into what the word 'majority' means.

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:lol: :40beers:

27. munow

munow New Member

:rofl:

No. Way too high. Never. Who knows?

;)

28. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Neither do I consider skaters with just nailing their jumps champion worthy. :saint:

Shall we start a poll on who has fallen on either LP or SP and won gold, or both and still win the competition? :D

29. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

Should we start a poll which includes the number of falls so that we can see that Chan won the most times with the most numbers of falls?

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  30. walei

walei Well-Known Member

nvm